2024 VFL Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Was a tough one there for Coburg, admittedly I thought Willy had it locked up when they got out it to 20 points and I think they might’ve thought that too with perhaps a bit less care than they would’ve liked that led to some silly free kicks. Was a great effort from Coburg though, could easily have thrown the towel in but the boys dug deep and almost broke the winless streak. The last quarter was by far the longest and I was in the timekeeper booth for Coburg so I wish I could’ve pushed the siren earlier but obviously couldn’t have lol.
I was impressed by Joel Trudgeon, haven’t seen his stats from last season so I don’t know if this was to be expected when he joined, but he backed up last week’s 30 touches with 22 disposals, 6 marks and 5 tackles as well as a goal. And Weightman obviously led the way with 4 goals, 3 of which were in the last term so he was big in the late comeback.
Still, good signs in certain areas. Willy had a bit of AFL experience on the list and are coming off making a semi final so getting close to a good side is hopefully a sign we won’t be having another winless year. Hopefully the new fixture setup gives us that extra chance as well.

Was a tough one there for Coburg, admittedly I thought Willy had it locked up when they got out it to 20 points and I think they might’ve thought that too with perhaps a bit less care than they would’ve liked that led to some silly free kicks. Was a great effort from Coburg though, could easily have thrown the towel in but the boys dug deep and almost broke the winless streak. The last quarter was by far the longest and I was in the timekeeper booth for Coburg so I wish I could’ve pushed the siren earlier but obviously couldn’t have lol.
I was impressed by Joel Trudgeon, haven’t seen his stats from last season so I don’t know if this was to be expected when he joined, but he backed up last week’s 30 touches with 22 disposals, 6 marks and 5 tackles as well as a goal. And Weightman obviously led the way with 4 goals, 3 of which were in the last term so he was big in the late comeback.
Still, good signs in certain areas. Willy had a bit of AFL experience on the list and are coming off making a semi final so getting close to a good side is hopefully a sign we won’t be having another winless year. Hopefully the new fixture setup gives us that extra chance as well.
Hopefully the result is a sign of Coburg's improvement, bit surprised it got to that ending but hope Coburg can kick on.

Pleased Willy got over the line but after a good win last week, sounds like we were sloppy.

Hopefully the result is a sign of Coburg's improvement, bit surprised it got to that ending but hope Coburg can kick on.

Pleased Willy got over the line but after a good win last week, sounds like we were sloppy.
Willy had a few setbacks and the team wasn’t their strongest.

Coburg had chances, they just lapse at bad times, and their forward structure is poor.

Trudgeon good at getting it but slow as treacle and needs to set up more plays due to his lack of speed. The debutant Ernst today very impressive, overall it’s the players who have been there for a few years now who let them down imo…today was a great chance to break the drought but they couldn’t get there…it depressing from a supporters view. They lack speed fro what I see. I am sure they will get a win this year…..it’s frustrating watching. I hope they survive and can get a coach who can organise some structure in the team. They have some talent, it just isn’t blending atm. Keep blooding players, the same olds are not helping the cause.

8 goal last quarter for Box Hill with the wind. Saves some discussion. Had superior talent out there compare to Geelong. Hawks looked average for the first half

I still think they are the team to beat

It was a close week of VFL. The average winning margin in the 9 games was 16.7 points. Sandy had the biggest win by 38 points.

I've been told on good authority that this is the last year of the VFL in its current format, and that AFL reserves is starting for 2025 with a new all VFL stand alone competition taking place too. With reserves coming back and proper partnerships being set in stone with the Coates Talent League programs.

I've been told on good authority that this is the last year of the VFL in its current format, and that AFL reserves is starting for 2025 with a new all VFL stand alone competition taking place too. With reserves coming back and proper partnerships being set in stone with the Coates Talent League programs.
When you say "new" does that mean the remaining standalone clubs will be included or will the competition start from scratch? If it's the former and it's getting AFL support I might get excited.

Mixed feelings on a VFL reserves league coming back. While it does make player development easier, I worry local clubs will resent losing players just to see them play reserves footy most of the time. I think it's better for VFL clubs to have strong relationships with local clubs in their resepective areas, so if players don't get selected then let them take whatever lessons they learn in the VFL and apply that experience at a local club. Having strong partnerships with the Talent League is a good thing though.

My big question with this is how would the new VFL be padded out? I think a minimum of ten clubs would be needed and we currently have nine former VFA clubs. I don't see Southport staying, and I'd be surprised if more than one of the aligned clubs could go standalone. Then you've got Coburg and Preston who are not doing great financially. So unless you pump money into these clubs, you've got maybe four clubs that are a safe bet for the new league. That leaves 6-8 new clubs that have to be found or established.

When you say "new" does that mean the remaining standalone clubs will be included or will the competition start from scratch? If it's the former and it's getting AFL support I might get excited.

Mixed feelings on a VFL reserves league coming back. While it does make player development easier, I worry local clubs will resent losing players just to see them play reserves footy most of the time. I think it's better for VFL clubs to have strong relationships with local clubs in their resepective areas, so if players don't get selected then let them take whatever lessons they learn in the VFL and apply that experience at a local club. Having strong partnerships with the Talent League is a good thing though.

My big question with this is how would the new VFL be padded out? I think a minimum of ten clubs would be needed and we currently have nine former VFA clubs. I don't see Southport staying, and I'd be surprised if more than one of the aligned clubs could go standalone. Then you've got Coburg and Preston who are not doing great financially. So unless you pump money into these clubs, you've got maybe four clubs that are a safe bet for the new league. That leaves 6-8 new clubs that have to be found or established.
April fools
Look at the time of my post

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate you

Dom Brew spoke on radio today saying they've got a fair idea whos going to be named in the final squad though they haven't even had a training session...yet.
I think the only training session they'll do is in Adelaide as a captains run. It's not a very serious match

Anyone wanna have a crack at a team?

I can see a lot of Werribee players in the final team.
I'm a bit lost in the way of forwards though Brodie McLaughlin will be in there and then I'm pretty lost after that, a lot of midfielders that will probably also make up the high forwards. Brayden Crossley possibly as another key and supporting ruck. Garoni another.
Declase, El Nour, Mitch White maybe, Van De Heuvel maybe as defenders.
and then the Midfielders are pretty set due to the leadership group but theres so many good ones. I'm hoping Jean-Luc is in there but you'll obviously have captain Brew, Dawson, and Callum Brown. Woodcock is probably in there as well.

Anyone wanna have a crack at a team?

I can see a lot of Werribee players in the final team.
I'm a bit lost in the way of forwards though Brodie McLaughlin will be in there and then I'm pretty lost after that, a lot of midfielders that will probably also make up the high forwards. Brayden Crossley possibly as another key and supporting ruck. Garoni another.
Declase, El Nour, Mitch White maybe, Van De Heuvel maybe as defenders.
and then the Midfielders are pretty set due to the leadership group but theres so many good ones. I'm hoping Jean-Luc is in there but you'll obviously have captain Brew, Dawson, and Callum Brown. Woodcock is probably in there as well.
McLaughlin injured

Remove this Banner Ad

Back