Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d be gobsmacked if it wasn’t initiated by the club. And the pressure to act is exactly the same, and it’s on the club to decide - he said he was open to anything that was in the club’s interest.

I’d be very sorry if he was pushed out. It won’t break the bank, it would mean a lot emotionally for him to reach 300 games with us, and we’d get nothing back except “freedom” to train up another ruckman who will never be as good as Goldy at his best and may never even be as good as he still is now. Higgins was great for us but not a one-club player. As long as Goldy isn’t itching to go, I’d very much rather he stays.
Well said.

Personally unless it was to our clear mutual interests (ie. a deal that was great for Goldy and gave us access to a proven need in the age range we're after) I'd be more than happy for Goldy to continue on year to year rolling contracts (a la Boomer) for as long as he is a clear best 22 player.

Well said.

Personally unless it was to our clear mutual interests (ie. a deal that was great for Goldy and gave us access to a proven need in the age range we're after) I'd be more than happy for Goldy to continue on year to year rolling contracts (a la Boomer) for as long as he is a clear best 22 player.
...and let him make the decision to retire not force him out.

...and let him make the decision to retire not force him out.
Agree on not forcing him out, don't necessarily agree on any player ultimately being the one to make the decision to retire - that only works if they recognise the end is nigh which not all players are willing or capable of doing. Ultimately it is still up to the club to make this clear if he won't see it, but no need to force him out when still playing good football unless it is of significant benefit to both parties.

Agree on not forcing him out, don't necessarily agree on any player ultimately being the one to make the decision to retire - that only works if they recognise the end is nigh which not all players are willing or capable of doing. Ultimately it is still up to the club to make this clear if he won't see it, but no need to force him out when still playing good football unless it is of significant benefit to both parties.
I just think Goldy is the type to make that call since he's such a professional.

If he knows his body is starting to struggle he will let his trainers know.

The club will consult the S&C team with Goldy too as to how he's tracking.

Since trade value isn't really on the table anymore and shouldn't at this point, I would imagine they would be working on a load management thing for Goldy to perhaps trial.

That's if Goldy may not be able to handle the load which as far as I can tell probably isn't obvious just yet.

So just posted the above screen shot of Toddies Wiki page. Went to have a look and noticed some bright spark has used Benny’s image. Had to have a laugh.
Keidean Coleman (Indigenous player for Brisbane) had the photo of Jarryd Lyons up until this week. Some of googles results are bizarre.

Was just looking up his numbers.....

HAPPY 34TH TODD!! What a player. What a man. Hope he gets to 300 at North. Deserves to retire with a flag.

Anyway...

In a year where things have just about gone as bad can be and our senior players haven't led the way or been missing to able to lead the way...

Can't fault the effort that Goldy's brought. Has clunked some nice marks when forward too.

Last 8 rounds averaging:
14.4 disposals
9.6 contested
31.4 hitouts
4.4 clearances
5.3 score involvements

Cats Goldy dream over​

Geelong has called off the chase for Todd Goldstein.

The Cats have long been linked to the North Melbourne ruckman, who is now an unrestricted free agent, and even offered him more money and a longer-term deal to move down the highway.

That overture included discussions with Chris Scott and Joel Selwood, given the pair share the same manager in Tom Petroro.

But the Cats believe their ruck situation has improved markedly with Rhyce Stanley playing the best football of his career and Mark Blivavs playing 40 per cent of his time in the ruck this year.

The Cats are impressed by their first-year ruckman in Toby Conway, having taken him with pick 24 in the national draft after securing that selection in the Jordan Clark trade to Fremantle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cats Goldy dream over​

Geelong has called off the chase for Todd Goldstein.

The Cats have long been linked to the North Melbourne ruckman, who is now an unrestricted free agent, and even offered him more money and a longer-term deal to move down the highway.

That overture included discussions with Chris Scott and Joel Selwood, given the pair share the same manager in Tom Petroro.

But the Cats believe their ruck situation has improved markedly with Rhyce Stanley playing the best football of his career and Mark Blivavs playing 40 per cent of his time in the ruck this year.

The Cats are impressed by their first-year ruckman in Toby Conway, having taken him with pick 24 in the national draft after securing that selection in the Jordan Clark trade to Fremantle.

If they had got him when they first talked about it, they might have had another flag. In my opinion he is still a better player than Stanley, even though Stanley might have beaten him last weekend.

Geelong have three players in particular that are likely to let them down at the pointy end of the season, being the perennial choker, Rowan (could have, should have been back in Hampden league colours this year) Kolospudne and Stanley. Stanley is the best of that bunch but watch them go missing when the chips are down. Oh I forgot Dangerflog in that group. Make it 4. Looks a million dollars against us but goes missing in the important games,

We should have traded him.

Has no leadership whatsoever.
Agree. Sounds harsh as he has given great service to the club. I just find he has zero physical presence and feels like he does not take enough marks around the ground (albeit stats may say otherwise). Awesome endurance athlete and incredibly durable, but I don’t feel impacts games and certainly doesn’t make those around him walk taller.

He became a UFA 3 years ago and has been of no trade value to us since.
His value has been that he's the only elite ruckman available to our club.
Reckon he's a bit of a legend myself.

He has been a fantastic player, I am not disputing that.

However I maintain that he and other senior players are a big reason we are in the position we are.

Some of efforts this year have been disgraceful, his body language especially has been horrible at times.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back