Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s literally not worth any more than that. If he was at Geelong, Richmond, he would be paid 500k. He is a 750k a year player TOPS. No more than that, if he gets more from our club, its dumb and poor list management. He’s been paid overs for years. All of the boys have been to meet the cap
It’s a free agent year. The market will set his value north of that. If we want him to take less we need to give him a good reason. And after the last few years the players are within their rights to be cautious.

You reckon he’ll get offers of over 750k? I would be ******* blown away if that eventuates.
Yep he will get offers over 800k I reckon. Everyone is guessing at this stage. But he looks like being the only a grade free agent that will be available this year. The covid cuts to the salary cap will most probably disappear during his next contract so the back half of the contract will go up most likely.
I wouldn't be surprised by 900k offers from a team desperate for a good key back. We need to at least be in the ballpark of other teams offers or we lose him for sure.

Yep he will get offers over 800k I reckon. Everyone is guessing at this stage. But he looks like being the only a grade free agent that will be available this year. The covid cuts to the salary cap will most probably disappear during his next contract so the back half of the contract will go up most likely.
I wouldn't be surprised by 900k offers from a team desperate for a good key back. We need to at least be in the ballpark of other teams offers or we lose him for sure.

The bigger mistake is getting sucked in to a Josh Kelly sort of deal then we're trying to do salary dumps two years down the road so we can give LDU a contract.

If he isn't prepared to a bit of unders then we have to be prepared to let him go.

The bigger mistake is getting sucked in to a Josh Kelly sort of deal then we're trying to do salary dumps two years down the road so we can give LDU a contract.

If he isn't prepared to a bit of unders then we have to be prepared to let him go.
Agreed. But a bit unders is like 50k in my mind. Offering 750k when others are at 900k means we have no hope. We need him badly.

Agreed. But a bit unders is like 50k in my mind. Offering 750k when others are at 900k means we have no hope. We need him badly.
The bloke won't get 900k... yet. I feel like he's being a bit overrated here, hasn't made AA & hasn't even made the 40 man squad. Only the cream make that much. If he has a brilliant season then fair enough, but at this stage 700-800 seems fair

I think we have about 20 players that are either on their first contract or would have extended on fairly low-end contracts, this group aren't regular starting 18 players and we've piled on a bunch of budget mature aged players. I can't see how we are struggling, we have to pay someone the TPP.

We have one of the thinnest top-ends in the league, we have 10 players who are currently 25+ and that includes Tucker, Turner and Howe. It is actually hard to figure out where our TPP is going given we have so many first contract or low value mature players. We need some longer-term deals we can front-load.

I am sure Ben will get a competitive offer and he is probably going to get access to a lot of it in the first couple of years into his new contract.

If our top end talent reaches their potential we will one day have TPP issues, but that wont be for a number of years.

I like Ben. He can take the gorillas and can intercept but as a KPD he's no offensive rebounding weapon like a Darcy Moore.

900K would be a huge pay day for him I would have thought.

The bloke won't get 900k... yet. I feel like he's being a bit overrated here, hasn't made AA & hasn't even made the 40 man squad. Only the cream make that much. If he has a brilliant season then fair enough, but at this stage 700-800 seems fair
It all comes down to how much another club offers him vs how much we offer. Everyone is guessing right now. We won't be making finals so staying for success is not really an option. Hopefully we improve on field this year and he gets a few wins under his belt. But the option to lowball like Geelong do just won't be open to us. Our offer will need to be competitive on the open market. That's all I'm saying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How long did Harry get? Wouldn't be surprised if Ben aimed for the same length.

No idea as to salary. The market will be the dictator of it for the most part, unless Ben is happy to take significant unders. Why would you though? This contract is the big one. Seems that with few exceptions good/great players usually don't take under until they're around their 30's and have already earned the bulk of their career earnings anyway.

Sorry, but that is rubbish. Moore is 5th in the competition for contested defensive one on ones.
Of the top 20 in that category Moore also had the second lowest loss rate losing only 12 of 90 (13.3%) one on one defensive contests. Stephen May had the lowest losing just 9 out of 85 (10.6%), remarkable. McKay, for what it's worth, had 42 contests and lost 9 (21.4%).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back