Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Im not fussed about his rebound tbh.
Nah he can keep being a brick wall and I'd be happy. It's more that everyone in the back line will be better placed to provide rebound if our structure is a bit more balanced and there are actually outlet options once the ball is turned over. Last season we had no effective rebounding defenders because everyone had run too far up and was running away from the ball once it was turned over. Much easier to have the confidence to intercept and keep that forward momentum for the rebound if you've got a few obvious options coming towards you.

His rebound was pretty good in 2021 when he had a bit more direction as a key defender.

I still rate him very highly and is a must keep. We don't have anyone to replace him. No one. Is that something Clarko and his team want to deal with? OH HELL NAW! They need a Ben Stratton in there. You can't win premierships without a stopper with rebounding capabilities. These blokes don't grow on trees so don't low ball the bloke. This bloke got concussed multiple times and put his head over the ball for the jumper. Pay the man.

In all honesty I hope he is an AA player in 2023. Has the potential to be a A+ grade big key defender, no doubt. Im just arguing his contract worth currently. You don’t pay contracts on “potential”. You might keep a player on potential not sell the farm for it.
Problem is we’ve won a couple of games the last couple of seasons, he’s a monster you can build a defence around. At this point all we can is pay for potential. And if we have any chance of getting off the bottom of the ladder, stability is key.
front load it, so it doesn’t hurt when the mids are coming out of contract.

In all honesty I hope he is an AA player in 2023. Has the potential to be a A+ grade big key defender, no doubt. Im just arguing his contract worth currently. You don’t pay contracts on “potential”. You might keep a player on potential not sell the farm for it.

I don’t think it’d be a contract based on potential. He’s shown he can play. I don’t know what his contract will be, but I do know if we lose him it’ll set our rebuild back quite substantially.

A crucial cog in any rebuild or elite group of players requires the $$$ that comes with it. We can't pull a Geelong here and do 'good faiths'.
Unless we put $500k x 7 in the salary cap and $500k x 7 as a part time Arden St Barista outside the cap.. Visy/Hungry Jacks/Geelong Ford style..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is madness , sure don’t offer him a mil + a year but he certainly has done enough not to be low balled. He’s a stopper as a key back that is fine he’s elite at that.

He’s not the type we lowball.

This is madness , sure don’t offer him a mil + a year but he certainly has done enough not to be low balled. He’s a stopper as a key back that is fine he’s elite at that.

He’s not the type we lowball.
Thats right. If he turns his nose up and already gifted over handed contracts. Mind you, others with Tarryn and co, have been significantly overpaid by the club reaching its salary requirements. A 750 x 4 is a very very well remunerated footballer over his short career. Honour the clubs “over” payment and agree to a “realistic” payment.

Could of offered Taz 4 million bananas and he would of left. Meh, gave us great service.. was 32? when he left. No bones to crush. Went from mediocre to further mediocrity. Poor Taxxa
He's actually been very very good for Richmond this year - their board is literally saying they should carry him to 100 games so they can get his future f/s

Could of offered Taz 4 million bananas and he would of left. Meh, gave us great service.. was 32? when he left. No bones to crush. Went from mediocre to further mediocrity. Poor Taxxa

Plus he actually wanted to go to Richmond. He was going to leave even earlier but stayed for a extra year

Plus we even offered him more money and an extra year but he still went.

Mckay is probably the most important player we have, our defence will be need to built around him.

Last edited:
Plus he actually wanted to go to Richmond. He was going to leave even earlier but stayed for a extra year

Plus we even offered him more money and an extra year but he still went.

Mckay is probably the most important player we have, our defence will need to built around him.
Defenders are the easiest players to rip from other clubs. I do hope Ben stays. Him and Logue. Gee, could will be very exciting.

Last edited:
Jon Ralph speculating the offer will be between 800k-1m a year into todays Herald Sun.

Ben McKay hits free agency and a line-in-the-sand moment in his career.

Is he prepared to back in the club’s direction early or will he wait until late in the season to ponder ridiculously large deals?

The Roos would likely secure a top-five compensation pick if he left but elite intercepting defenders are extremely rare in the AFL.

They have such vast cap space that surely they will offer him a six-year deal on something between $800,000-$1 million a season early on and hope he wants to remove the contract as a distraction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back