Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Played today like he's got one foot out the door.

People saying 'he's always been crap' or similar are kidding themselves. This kid is a genuine star when he's on.

I worry we blew our chances at retaining him though.

We’re at the point where anyone not committed can go. It’s nearly impossible we could be any worse.

The bloke has played maybe 15 pretty good games in his career and people think it more plausible that he's not trying out on a footy field than him just not being up to the mark of a top tier defender.

I like him. I rate him. I just have never thought he's any more than a good defender who shows glimpses of one elite trait at his best.
Yeah well I respect you but I’ve never rated him

This kid is a genuine star when he's on.

No he is statistically and categorically not. He's not put together more than 1 season of good footy, and never put in across-the-board elite creative on the attack and stalwart defensive footy, and he is not anything more than an average player on his best day.

He is tall poppy syndrome at its finest in the worst team, put him in any good team and on his best day he's 3rd man up in a defensive contest. Not a number one KPD.

No he is statistically and categorically not. He's not put together more than 1 season of good footy, and never put in across-the-board elite creative on the attack and stalwart defensive footy, and he is not anything more than an average player on his best day.

He is tall poppy syndrome at its finest in the worst team, put him in any good team and on his best day he's 3rd man up in a defensive contest. Not a number one KPD.

Agreed. We can't keep waiting many multiple years with this "he'll come good" mentality which has persisted with a number of guys.

Move him on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not that hard.

Other clubs have worked him out.

BMac is elite in one on one situations on the last line of defence - possibly the best in the league. Take him further up the ground and he is a very average player as his football nous and skill levels are not high.

The backline needs to work as a team to get the best out of each other - they are not doing that since Mac's return and its a significant factor in our demise.

Good solid defender , want to keep him but only for right price. If he wants to go let him good compensation awaits. At end of day we need committed players and I have a question mark on Ben

Let him go but match an offer and force a trade.

Put Comben at CHB, Logue FB
Pick up Himmelberg as a free agent to partner with Larkey

Came into the afl system with little self belief and rightly so coz his bro smoked him and he flinched at tbe challenge (to himself most importantly). I reckon, so far, opportunity/ability has not changed the assesment. Its a massive task for our coaches to help him become a confident peg in our d50 system. I doubt he can defy his past. If his management is eyeing off his value today, so be it. Next!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back