Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the key point though. What's fair? If he was worth $450K at the start of the year before anyone had played footy, and he's currently smashing the AFL's best key forwards to pieces, is $450K still fair? What if he keeps Hawkins goalless this weekend and we scramble to put a $450K contract in front of him - "here you go Ben, here's how we value you"?

This isn't a BBB situation where he's negotiating one of the contracts on the back end. This is the contract for McKay. He can turn what might have been a 2 year, $450K extension at the end of last year, into a 4 or 5 year, $600K extension with a fantastic year this year. I just don't know why you'd ever, ever sign anything they put in front of you until you've played all the footy you can, especially if you're in the form he's in at the moment
He might be happy to sign for 2 years on say 450k per year and back himself in 12 months time to re negotiate for a increase/extension if he has proven himself for a bit longer? For all we know he might want to get it done ASAP so the contracts out of the way. Anyway I’m hopeful it’s a formality and he signs soon.

He might be happy to sign for 2 years on say 450k per year and back himself in 12 months time to re negotiate for a increase/extension if he has proven himself for a bit longer? For all we know he might want to get it done ASAP so the contracts out of the way. Anyway I’m hopeful it’s a formality and he signs soon.
Getting himself a decent, but shorter, contract that lasts until the start of free agency wouldn't be a bad choice at all if he has faith in his abilities. A bit of an element of risk towards his future earnings, but by the end of his career it might end up working out better than if he were to sign a 5+ year deal this year.

I'm sure he'll get mutually beneficial money and contract.

We cannot lose him. There's 4/5ths of f*** all behind him.

Losing him would be terrible list management.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be the absolute priority signing.

Arguably our most important player.

On a side note, would you trade pick 1 for his brother?
0f360b75bc81c0776d92bf2be89d85787b13249dccacfe3bcf2479e931acb113.jpg

Still hasn't played 50 games.

Yet is on a trajectory where will be AA lock by the time he's at 100.
Arguably better than his brother and gets literally no media attention. Im sure list managers at other clubs have him in their planning and will come hard. We need to lock him away long term as he will be our full back for the next decade.

This is the key point though. What's fair? If he was worth $450K at the start of the year before anyone had played footy, and he's currently smashing the AFL's best key forwards to pieces, is $450K still fair? What if he keeps Hawkins goalless this weekend and we scramble to put a $450K contract in front of him - "here you go Ben, here's how we value you"?

This isn't a BBB situation where he's negotiating one of the contracts on the back end. This is the contract for McKay. He can turn what might have been a 2 year, $450K extension at the end of last year, into a 4 or 5 year, $600K extension with a fantastic year this year. I just don't know why you'd ever, ever sign anything they put in front of you until you've played all the footy you can, especially if you're in the form he's in at the moment
Well said FG, in what a appears to be a renaissance season for tall forwards, if you're a young, emerging fullback who has shown he can compete and beat their opponent, then you would be stupid to sign early.

If I was Ben I'd hold off until the second half of the season and perhaps with solid performances against the likes of Hawkins, Frankin and co. it will see an increase in the clubs valuation and offer.

If I was NMFC I'd be trying to lock up his services as early as possible and for as long as possible. Perhaps the way to do that is to pay on potential, offer a little above their current evaluation and include a extra year.

It'd be great if Ben did want to sign now, but his manager would be outright negligent if he wasn't telling him to hold off and just let his footy do more talking.

His manager would be negligent if we wasn’t telling Ben to accept a reasonable offer if/when one is put in front of him. Form, injuries etc. can impact a contract both positively and negatively which we’ve seen with Brown. Many contract extensions occur in the first half of the season. It will all depend on what the current offer is or will be.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back