Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Shaw: Ben McKay did a great job on Charlie Dixon. Especially after having one kicked on him early. He’s a competitor and did really well.

Shaw: Ben really went to work over the pre-season and the break. He’s taken some big scalps already and he’s only going to get better. He deserves the faith we’ve given him. He was rapt when we told him he was on Dixon.

Music to my ears. A prototypical athletic man mountain with huge competitive drive. I think we’re in business here.

He was rapt he was on Dixon? When a defender is excited about taking on a big task then that's when you realise we got one here.

Initially thought he needed to be switched but he proved me wrong tonight. I am so glad he did because to show that level of commitment and determination after being hard done by lack of defensive pressure that got Dixon his opportunities is fantastic.

He will be a part of a very important backline in the years to come.

I gotta commend the club for producing solid backmen. It's something we struggled within the early to late 2000s.

My observation from March 13 this year.

The kid trains his guts out, and has had a sh*t run with luck.

As I stated, many have jumped the gun too early with B-Mac. He was good vs Melbourne, in a day when few stood out. I have seen Rhyce putting a fair bit of one on one time in to him on the track, so they're up to something with him.

I reckon the coach deserves some credit for Ben's arrival as an AFL full back.

Best part is Tarrant can go and do whatever he likes. Got plenty of it tonight.

I swear I saw Taz at the stoppages a few times, then chasing tail back to defence when we lost the stoppage. I remember thinking 'jeez who's that big mid we have there?'. He left our other mids in his wake.

Once I realise it was Robbie, I must admit I had fantasies about Taz on the wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never understood why people here wrote Ben off so quickly. He had some stellar performances in teh VFL interspersed with injury and illness.
His first game a couple of years ago at the GABBA it was pretty obvious he could seriously play and then Sam Durdin went and almost rearranged his melon.

Pretty sure Maj was thrown back from there on and had that stellar season at CHB keeping BMac out of the side.

All us supporters can hope for is that when our kids are given an opportunity they do their best to grab it- this kid has done that beautifully,

Never understood why people here wrote Ben off so quickly. He had some stellar performances in teh VFL interspersed with injury and illness.
Because until this year he was another 22yr old on the list with limited afl experience supposedly not showing enough to get a game. Always been in the shadow of his brother who's had a much better career up until this point

And some quite average games in the twos.
I saw him a few times live and he wasn’t that impressive.

He couldn’t even get a game in our preseason side this year from memory? Played in the ruck in the practice match at Arden St he was so out of touch - he was not impressive in that game.

There were a few reasons to think he may not be the player we hoped he might.

Very glad to see him playing the way is now though.

And some quite average games in the twos.
I saw him a few times live and he wasn’t that impressive.

He couldn’t even get a game in our preseason side this year from memory? Played in the ruck in the practice match at Arden St he was so out of touch - he was not impressive in that game.

There were a few reasons to think he may not be the player we hoped he might.

Very glad to see him playing the way is now though.

Seriously dude, just say it - "I was wrong."

That's probably because you actually analyze football properly, and not via the Herald Sun stats column.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back