Past #24: Sam Durdin - delisted after 21 NM games/1 NM goal - thanks Durds (drafted by Carlton in '22 MSD)

Remove this Banner Ad

Did his job defensively too I thought, intensity was good. Persist.
While he did show a few more signs, the jury is still out for me. Thought he still comes into the contest without a sense of who (of his team mates) is around him, resulting in too few at ground level, and that his positioning and intensity wasn't what it should be. I noticed him in no man's land a couple of times, when I did notice him. I wondered what Kingy's behind the goal analysis might reveal in this regard.

While he did show a few more signs, the jury is still out for me. Thought he still comes into the contest without a sense of who (of his team mates) is around him, resulting in too few at ground level, and that his positioning and intensity wasn't what it should be. I noticed him in no man's land a couple of times, when I did notice him. I wondered what Kingy's behind the goal analysis might reveal in this regard.

Of course the jury is still out. But our handling of him, plus his injuries certainly haven’t helped.

I’d be shocked if he’s not on the list next year.

Of course the jury is still out. But our handling of him, plus his injuries certainly haven’t helped.

I’d be shocked if he’s not on the list next year.
Our handling of him? He didn't demand a spot before injury and is only there now because jmac got an injury. Let's not rewrite history. Last year, if one of him and McKay were to get an opportunity, it would have been McKay, not Durdin.

If he didn't have a contract last year, would he still be on the list this year? (Wasn't he shopped with no takers?)

I sincerely hope it's a case of 'big men take time' and, like Maj, a need for continuity. Arguably yesterday's incremental improvement was evidence for the latter, or both.

Last edited:
Our handling of him? He didn't demanded a spot before injury and is only there now because jmac got an injury. Let's not rewrite history. Last year, if one of him and McKay were to get an opportunity, it would have been McKay, not Durdin.

If he didn't have a contract last year, would he still be on the list this year? (Wasn't he shopped with no takers?)

I sincerely hope it's a case of 'big men take time' and, like Maj, a need for continuity. Arguably yesterday's incremental improvement was evidence for the latter, or both.

By handling of him I mean switching him forward and back at VFL level. Wasted 2 years of development imo trying to turn him into a forward.

By handling of him I mean switching him forward and back at VFL level. Wasted 2 years of development imo trying to turn him into a forward.
Yep. Was plan as day last year when he switched back to defence. Formed a nice partnership with McKay and I think that's our future pairing with EVW in the future.

Like RF08 said - only thing missing is some aerial presence. And as Giantroo said he needs to learn to knuckle the ball into row Z when given the opportunity. There was one moment yesterday when he went third man up and had less of an impact on the ball than a lettuce leaf.

Tarrant was poorly coached.

Many on here wanted him playing back way before Bard did.

I actually think Durdin could be a fwd. That might prove incorrect but I'm not against trying it at some stage. (not just one game)

Many thought Maj should go back several years before Brad finally came around to that view as well.

His intensity at the contest and the man was very good yesterday as well considering that is usually one of his usual negatives he gets.

It's not his job to stay at ground level.

It's not his job to stay at ground level.
Agreed, but he seems oblivious to whether the contest is already covered and leaves us exposed at ground level. I don't think he reads the play well, or has good peripheral awareness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like with Maj last year having that extra height allows one of the talls in Thompson/Tarrant or Durds a bit more free reign to zone off.
It's a horse thing, not a king/queen thing. :p Hypothetically speaking, would Horse give Durdin even more free rein or would Durdin give Horse even more free rein?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back