Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026 - 7th highest ranked player league-wide after 3 rds - avg. 27.7d & 7clearances p/g

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to take some lessons in the Phillips and Powell Handballing Masterclass.

His brain is just miles in front of everyone else. People like to assign the Pendlebury comparison to every player that seems to make time stand still but he did a few things last night where I actually obtained absolute clarity and saw it in him. He's operating at a different speed to every other player out there.

The challenge is now for him to consistently get 20+. He will break games open when he's consistently involved over 4 quarters - I did feel like he was sporadic last night

His brain is just miles in front of everyone else. People like to assign the Pendlebury comparison to every player that seems to make time stand still but he did a few things last night where I actually obtained absolute clarity and saw it in him. He's operating at a different speed to every other player out there.

The challenge is now for him to consistently get 20+. He will break games open when he's consistently involved over 4 quarters - I did feel like he was sporadic last night
Only played 69% game time with only 4 CBA’s, FG.

The kid can find the footy, no doubt about that.

Only played 69% game time with only 4 CBA’s, FG.

The kid can find the footy, no doubt about that.

I do get that and am aware I'm probably being a bit harsh on a 2nd year player. I think he averaged 15-16 last year?

But when he does eventually get to that 23-25 mark per game, he'll cut teams to pieces

Some of his contest work in the 2nd quarter helped swing the game back on our terms when we were getting smashed. The kid is a jet, each possession looks dangerous and we just need to find a way to get him around the footy more. Assuming his tank is up to it, i'd play him on a wing or as the highest half forward who comes up to the stoppage.

I do get that and am aware I'm probably being a bit harsh on a 2nd year player. I think he averaged 15-16 last year?

But when he does eventually get to that 23-25 mark per game, he'll cut teams to pieces
I think he looks a touch underdone still, as others have said though once he builds that body and endurance it's hard to see him not being a 200 gamer with his footy brain, vision and very tidy skillset. One that will break out earlier than others, I think he only needs 1, maybe 2 full pre seasons before he can be a genuine player as he will never rely on bulk and physicality.

I remember 1 particular handball by him into the corridor yesterday that appeared to miss the target by at least 3-4m, thought that's pretty weird, after checking the replay, the intended recipient was running through the corridor when Powelly took posession, who instantly put the pill exactly where the team mate should have been without breaking stride, however, at exactly that moment, he stopped running. All is forgiven Tommy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep there was one moment I recall where he sidestepped a couple of players, making them look silly as he is want to do.

Made me stand up with excitement. Unfortunately then pulled the kick under pressure, hooking it to the boundary and the umpire decided to pay a deliberate against him. Real shame.

Yep there was one moment I recall where he sidestepped a couple of players, making them look silly as he is want to do.

Made me stand up with excitement. Unfortunately then pulled the kick under pressure, hooking it to the boundary and the umpire decided to pay a deliberate against him. Real shame.

I recall that, brilliant evasion. Stiff to be pinged for deliberate, but it's OK if they interpret that rule harshly, as long as they're consistent.

I remember 1 particular handball by him into the corridor yesterday that appeared to miss the target by at least 3-4m, thought that's pretty weird, after checking the replay, the intended recipient was running through the corridor when Powelly took posession, who instantly put the pill exactly where the team mate should have been without breaking stride, however, at exactly that moment, he stopped running. All is forgiven Tommy.

Just waiting on the body to catch up to the mind

Remove this Banner Ad

Back