Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026 - 7th highest ranked player league-wide after 3 rds - avg. 27.7d & 7clearances p/g

Remove this Banner Ad

My apologies in advance to Tom, but I'm about to put the mozz on him. :eek:

I think and have felt for some time, that he has the potential to become our version of Mitch Duncan at Geelong. Duncan has been the quiet achiever at the Cats for a very long time, gets little fanfare yet nearly always gets the job done. A highly valued player down there.

Sorry Tommy.
Duncan was a good player and really important cog in that cats machine

But I think Powell has a much higher ceiling than that and we're still only scratching the surface of that imo. I think he has the talent to be a perennially AA mid

Yep. And it’s executed perfectly. I don’t think the commentators even gave it enough credit.

More proof of the abysmally low quality of football commentators - they don't know enough about the game to recognise truly elite skills when displayed. Reminds me of when Kieren Harper kicked a ridiculously skilful goal and Derwayne didn't even pause from spouting his bullsh!t to acknowledge it.

My apologies in advance to Tom, but I'm about to put the mozz on him. :eek:

I think and have felt for some time, that he has the potential to become our version of Mitch Duncan at Geelong. Duncan has been the quiet achiever at the Cats for a very long time, gets little fanfare yet nearly always gets the job done. A highly valued player down there.

Sorry Tommy.
Ive always rated him very highly, gun.

Id be looking at as LDU and Powell the main two, with higher rotations between Wardlaw and Phillips.
Sheezel half back works for me still, having his smarts and skills breaking lines and hitting targets is huge. McKercher can take a wing/ high half forward. Im less sure about Simpkin when not in the guts, perhaps his evasions and fast feet would be best off half back as well. Giving us some real pace and drive.
If Lazz is squeezed out id like to see him become our lock down on smalls. We could have some crazy running power out of defense.
The thing is that once Wardlaw increases tank by another 20%, he will be able impact the game from wherever he plays.

Rest him across HB to get some easy drive or chuck him forward to lock in the ball and crash skulls.

Last edited:
The thing is that once Wardlaw increases tank by another 20%, he will be able impact the game from wherever he plays.

Rest him across HB to get some easy drive or chuck him forward to lick in the ball and crash skulls.
I’m not sure why you’d do it, but it sounds edgy and he’d be all about it.

Rest him across HB to get some easy drive or chuck him forward to lock in the ball and crash skulls.

I'm not sure anyone rests at half back these days but he'd apply himself with the same vigour to any job you gave him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive always rated him very highly, gun.

So did I. Posted a few years back when Tom Powell was drafted, he was gonna be a good mid.

Say the youtube highlights kicking set shot goals.

Got 28 disposals vs my mob and 26 disposals in his last game. Safe to say he has improved considerably.

So did I. Posted a few years back when Tom Powell was drafted, he was gonna be a good mid.

Say the youtube highlights kicking set shot goals.

Got 28 disposals vs my mob and 26 disposals in his last game. Safe to say he has improved considerably.
Cant say i paid huge attention to that draft, had lots of stuff going on at the time. But it was clear from Tom's early games he's got a next level radar. His handballs stood out more so early, but the rest is coming along nicely. Those two goals and the laser pass to Larkey show his kicking can be A grade.

But, i was actually talking about Mitch Duncan who ive always rated highly. Would've loved him at North. That all said Powell has a higher ceiling imo.

Complete lightweight, easiest player to play off in the comp
Our best user of the ball and our best mid this season. But yep lets just slag him off because he’s not an elite two way player.

We have so many joke players to choose from and yet you’re having a crack at Powell?

Our best user of the ball and our best mid this season. But yep lets just slag him off because he’s not an elite two way player.

We have so many joke players to choose from and yet you’re having a crack at Powell?
I reckon his usage was a little off today but gotta get a block of games into him because his part of the future and has a lot to offer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back