Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Picked up 160 supercoach points, so the AA selectors might actually take notice of him this week.

6th in the comp for effective disposal
8th in the comp for marks
10th in the comp for intercepts
11th in the comp for one percenters.

Not bad for a bloke who obliterates the oppositions best forward at the same time.
Could you imagine the football wide fapping if he played for Collingwood Richmond or Essendon? Maybe even Geelong.

Criminally under acknowledged for his performances.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Could you imagine the football wide fapping if he played for Collingwood Richmond or Essendon? Maybe even Geelong.

Criminally under acknowledged for his performances.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

He's better than Mick Martyn.

Dench is the only North full back that I have seen who betters him.

North Melbourne’s Robbie Tarrant and the statistic that shows he is seriously underrated

Had the Kangaroos beaten Essendon on Saturday, Robbie Tarrant would have been lauded as the matchwinner. One statistic shows why the Roos vice-captain is one of the most underrated players in the AFL.
Chris Cavanagh, 360 VIEW, Herald Sun
Subscriber only

If he is not the most underrated player in the competition, Robbie Tarrant is at least in the conversation.
The North Melbourne defender continues to get jobs done week-in, week-out.
And at the ripe old age of 30, Tarrant is in some of the best form of his career.

Had the Kangaroos beaten Essendon on Saturday, Tarrant would have been lauded as the matchwinner.

As good as Ben Brown was at the other end kicking six goals, it was Tarrant who almost single-handedly saved the game for his side in defence.

3f1b5159dd0008ed26d82babe23bbeae

Tarrant had a season-high 10 spoils, season-high six intercept marks and career-high 160 SuperCoach ranking points — putting him as the No.1 player on the ground.
According to Champion Data, the Roos vice-captain spent 65 minutes playing on Shaun McKernan, gathering 14 disposals while holding the Bomber to just four touches and no goals.
During 34 minutes playing on Jake Stringer, Tarrant logged a further seven disposals while restricting the dangerous Bombers’ forward to only one.
North Melbourne’s Robbie Tarrant drags down Essendon’s Jake Stringer in a tackle on Saturday. Picture: AAP Image/Hamish Blair
North Melbourne’s Robbie Tarrant drags down Essendon’s Jake Stringer in a tackle on Saturday. Picture: AAP Image/Hamish Blair
But it was the final two-and-a-half minutes where Tarrant really came to the fore.
Essendon had four inside-50s and Tarrant rebounded three of them.
He was awarded a free kick after laying a desperate tackle to catch Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti holding the ball and rebounded the football back out of defence from the first entry.
Cool and composed under pressure, Tarrant then took intercept marks from each of the Bombers’ next two inside-50s, which he again rebounded out of the defensive 50.
It is a statistic that might surprise many, but Tarrant is ranked as the second-best key defender in the competition by Champion Data this year behind only Sydney’s Dane Rampe.
Tarrant did everything he could against the Bombers. Pic: AAP
Tarrant did everything he could against the Bombers. Pic: AAP
Michael Hurley, Jeremy McGovern, Alex Keath and Mark Blicavs sit behind Tarrant in the top-six.
North Melbourne caretaker coach Rhyce Shaw was quick to praise his side’s defenders — especially Tarrant — after the side’s Round 15 win over Collingwood in which the Roos conceded just five goals to the 2018 runners up.
“Our defenders have gone a little bit underrated,” Shaw said.
“I look at Robbie Tarrant, who has dominated a lot of top-quality opponents this year and not much has been said about him. But he’s an exceptional player and an exceptional leader.”
Shaw seems to be one of few giving Tarrant the credit he deserves.

"...............career-high 160 SuperCoach ranking points — putting him as the No.1 player on the ground."

Supercoach it, and they will come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he played for a big club like Collingwood or Essendon ... um, Cam Zurhaar would have split him down the middle in the last month and he wouldn't be playing again for the rest of the year.

Last edited:
So many times when the ball headed to our 50 I just knew Tarrant would somehow make it right and he never disappointed me
If only he was somehow able to get his hands on it one more time in that frantic last seconds...Still hurts to think about it...

Even when he gets votes he gets screwed

Ben Brown and Robbie Tarrant’s brilliant performances at either end of the ground against Essendon have been recognised by the coaches.
Brown’s 6-goal performance earned him nine votes, the equal most for the game alongside Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti.
Tarrant’s dominant display in the backline earned him three votes.
North v Essendon votes
9 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (ESS)
9 - Ben Brown (NMFC)
3 - Jake Stringer (ESS)
3 - Ben Brown (NMFC)
3 - Connor McKenna (ESS)
3 - Zach Merrett (NMFC)

So is Tarrant the Best Full back we have ever had? I think its worth a debate.
Still yet to be named AA, but this bloke has been something else, we conceded inside 50s at will and there he is mopping things up.
It helps that Thommo is also in decent form.

So is Tarrant the Best Full back we have ever had? I think its worth a debate.
Still yet to be named AA, but this bloke has been something else, we conceded inside 50s at will and there he is mopping things up.
It helps that Thommo is also in decent form.

No. David Dench is one of, if not, the greatest fullback of all time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back