Player Watch #25 Tom McDonald - In to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I voted yes, but not neccessarily at full back.

I think Bails will debut one of his 2010 draftees in Rd 1 and McDonald is the one that has has shown the most in my opinion. Held his own at Casey yesterday and is a very determined young lad. He also plays in a part of the ground that is currently very light on.

I also think Matty Warnock is gaawn at seasons end.

Why play either of McDonald or Warnock. Let's just play Rivers at full back, Garland and CHB on Goodes and let a combination of Joel Macdonald and Stef Martin (as resting ruck) pick up any other tall that goes down that way.

I think Bailey will go with Warnock which is an ok call. However as the season rolls on if McDonald continues to impress he should be prefered to Warnock.

Looks like Bradshaw wont be playing so that relieves us a bit.

I dont think any of the new boys should get a go in round 1 this year. I would be playing Garland and Rivers down back. As long as we can keep Goodes under control I dont think Sydney are going to hurt us with a power forward - Im more concerned about who we can play as a key forward of our own to be honest.

I agree that Warnock isn't a long-term solution as our FB. However, if we do get rid of him, who do we replace him with. We are already very light on in terms of KPB, Rivers and Garland aren't KPB's, more so 3rd talls.

Frawley's absence has highlighted how little backup we have in our Backline. Should we get rid of Warnock, then we must draft a tonne of KPB over the next few drafts. Keeping in mind that one Jack Viney will be heading our way at the ends of next year, we should be very well equipped in the midfield/small player stakes. With the likes of Jurrah, Watts, Cook, Dunn, Howe, etc, our tall forwards should be ok. Our Tall backmen is our next priority. Do we head hunt, or go down the drafting path?

I watch footy programs such as AFL 360 and On the Couch - everyone is talking about one player being a shoe-in for the Rising Star... Daniel Talia.

Firstly; I think of players like Greene and Cameron.

Then I realize that these commentators are rating Talia based on the defensive jobs he has done on quality players.

Then I think of Tom McDonald - he's done some great defensive jobs on the likes of Reiwoldt and Hurley.

He's done jobs on mediums and smalls.

I think - surely Tommy's done close to as well as Talia in the defensive aspects of the game.

He also averages double the marks and disposals of Talia.

Let's look at McDonald when compared with his cohort - he's ranked
  • 9th in Total Kicks
  • 8th in Total Disposals
  • 4th in Total Contested Poss/8th in Contested Poss per game
  • 1st in Total Rebounds/3rd per game
  • 5th in Total Bounces/7th per game
  • 4th in 1%'ers per game/2nd in Total
  • 2nd in Total Marks
  • 5th for Total Contested Marks
  • 6th for Total Effective Disposals
Even 8th in Total Goal Assists (!!)...

We all know that media attention isn't the be all and end all - but I think McDonald's been undersold in the media all year.

While he is underrated by the media he has got some issues with his game and he isn't good enough to win the rising star. Also Talia is only in the spotlight because Sanderson said that he would win it on the spot. I think Mark Neeld said Tom would "be up there"

Simply put, yes.

If he played for the filth, he'd be heralded as the re-incarnation of Roos / Jakovich / *Insert Great CHB's here

But because he plays for MFC he's just another good average player

While he is underrated by the media he has got some issues with his game and he isn't good enough to win the rising star. Also Talia is only in the spotlight because Sanderson said that he would win it on the spot. I think Mark Neeld said Tom would "be up there"

Sure, his kicking needs to be sorted out - one thing that I'd point out is that it's not the 'player with the most talent' who deserves to win the Rising Star... it's 'the player who performs the best'.

I think Tom's pretty close to that.

I'm happy for him to go under the radar. No news on the demons is good news until next season.

The point where Talia's clearly superior at the moment is his ability to lock down. He's been taking key forwards such as Pavlich and Cloke (cough, hack, splutter, I know) over Rutten who we know is a very good key defender, and he's been excelling.

McDonald wins a lot more of the footy and rebounds, however, as shown by those stats, so long term he'll be a better offensive weapon than Talia is whilst still being a very much capable key defender as we saw when he towelled up Riewoldt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's also got the midfield providing great pressure on the ball carrier though, often this year opposition forwards have had absolute silver service against us.

Talia's been in great form recently, but he's a limited player at the moment.

Greene would be an unbackable favourite had he not been given a reprimand. It's stupid how he can't win it because he definately deserves it and what he got done for didn't even consititute any period on the sidelines. Crap rule, will probably be given the flick at the end of the year as it also robbed Dustin Martin of it in 2010. I reckon they'll change it to a player being suspended for at least 1 week.

He can be overlooked until he cleans up his disposal by foot.

Nothing worse in a footy player than one who can't bloody kick.

I think many of our good players have been overlooked this year simply because they play for Melbourne. Jones has recorded great statistics this year - but no one talks about him simply because he plays for Melbourne and our midfield is pathetic. Jeremy Howe has been great this season... hardly any media attention but as Mark Robinson respectfully acknowledges in this week's Tackle, he's a find.

Tom McDonald is another. Yeah his kicking is questioned but he does the job that he is asked to, to stop his opponent from kicking goals. That's why I rate him. Maybe if our defense weren't chockablock of good kicks he'd be criticised a little but he has done sterling jobs on guys like Riewoldt and Hawkins this season.

Jones and McDonald both get mentioned all the times in commentary as bright lights for us this season. Other than that, we are s**t - so why would they get spoken about more?

I honestly have no complaints about them not getting recognition. Internally, Neeld would be loving them both and when our time comes to move up the ladder, they'll get the recognition they deserve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back