Player Watch #25 Tom McDonald - In to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not quite sure how to phrase this delicately but I got a few famous mates and I never seen any of them get as much attention as that hairy dwarf did lmao he was drowning in it.

I'd never even heard of him.
How famous we talking?

One thing everyone is forgetting is that that Willy Wonka has been portrayed as an American in all the film adaptations of the character.

He also says the line "Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker." in the 1971 adaptation.
‘Adaptation’ being key

I don’t want to adapt.

How famous we talking?
I've worked in the music industry for 20+ years, it's where I made a lot of my friends.
One or two hit it big internationally, world tours, glasto + every major festival, none of them sustained that level but they were household names for a long time.
Quite a few mates have done done the pre-game or half-time at the grand final, that sort of fame can be pretty fleeting though, most are back to 9-5 and most people wouldn't recognise them walking down the street. Some aren't though, got a couple of mates that paid of their house by 25 and tour once a year and that's pretty much their life.

You do realise that this makes the statement more correct. If Willy Wonka does not sell Candy as he is English then it is not hard to sell more candy than him.

DL.
As I understand it, he’s not a real person so probably doesn’t sell much of anything. However on that basis I believe you are correct. Selling any candy at all is more than selling none because you aren’t actually real, so you have made a strong case for headless being correct.

Hello Headless. My correction of your post was ill thought through. Please accept my sincere apologies and make use of as many American sports cliches as you like 👍

One thing everyone is forgetting is that that Willy Wonka has been portrayed as an American in all the film adaptations of the character.

He also says the line "Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker." in the 1971 adaptation.
Okay I’m not letting this go yet.

If Willy Wonka was “portrayed” then it follows that he is not the real Willy Wonka, just a portrayal of Willy Wonka, who does not exist. And the Candy is Dandy thing is a scriptwriter putting words in the mouth of the real Willy Wonka who isn’t real.

I think we could get past this if Headless would care to amend his statement to:

[Caleb Windsor] sells more candy then the not real Willy Wonka because Willy Wonka is an English not-real person who didn’t sell much of anything what with not being real and all

Okay I’m not letting this go yet.

If Willy Wonka was “portrayed” then it follows that he is not the real Willy Wonka, just a portrayal of Willy Wonka, who does not exist. And the Candy is Dandy thing is a scriptwriter putting words in the mouth of the real Willy Wonka who isn’t real.

I think we could get past this if Headless would care to amend his statement to:

[Caleb Windsor] sells more candy then the not real Willy Wonka because Willy Wonka is an English not-real person who didn’t sell much of anything what with not being real and all
So why then, in the books sequel does Willy Wonka take Charlie to meet the president of the United States? Surely as a British citizen he should be going to meet the Queen.

So why then, in the books sequel does Willy Wonka take Charlie to meet the president of the United States? Surely as a British citizen he should be going to meet the Queen.
I’m not across all the specifics of American visa entry requirements as a tourist, but I understand that most British people without criminal convictions can get to the states with a tourist visa with comparative ease. There is no strict requirement for British citizens to meet the Queen prior to doing so.

I know little of the book sequel of which you speak, but some research (albeit brief) indicates that neither the not-real Wonka nor Charlie (also not real) intend visiting America at all, but were heading for the imaginary chocolate factory when the elevator accidentally goes in orbit, eventually to land at a fictional USA space hotel.

Wonka then impersonates an alien, which indicates that he is an alien in the manner of Sting in New York, only they are both real

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not across all the specifics of American visa entry requirements as a tourist, but I understand that most British people without criminal convictions can get to the states with a tourist visa with comparative ease. There is no strict requirement for British citizens to meet the Queen prior to doing so.

I know little of the book sequel of which you speak, but some research (albeit brief) indicates that neither the not-real Wonka nor Charlie (also not real) intend visiting America at all, but were heading for the imaginary chocolate factory when the elevator accidentally goes in orbit, eventually to land at a fictional USA space hotel.

Wonka then impersonates an alien, which indicates that he is an alien in the manner of Sting in New York, only they are both real
I brought up meeting the queen as this was a plot point in Rhold Dahl's novel The BFG.

Anyway Ive moved on to watching clips from the Gene Wilder movie.

I brought up meeting the queen as this was a plot point in Rhold Dahl's novel The BFG.

Anyway Ive moved on to watching clips from the Gene Wilder movie.

I’ve not seen it.

My partner reckons I should and I love Gene Wilder, so perhaps I’ll do that this weekend. It’s supposed to be a bit of a classic. There are a bunch of very, very good children’s movies out there dating back a fair while. The black Stallion is pretty amazing

I’ve not seen it.

My partner reckons I should and I love Gene Wilder, so perhaps I’ll do that this weekend. It’s supposed to be a bit of a classic. There are a bunch of very, very good children’s movies out there dating back a fair while. The black Stallion is pretty amazing
It's an all-timer. The first 40 minutes especially with all the wonkamania is just non stop jokes, it feels almost like a Monty Python product in those bits.

The songs are absolute earworms except for one. Just fast forward once Charlie's mum starts singing.

I haven't seen the remake but it would have to be one of the most pointless films ever, impossible to get near the original. Stone cold classic, and the soundtrack is exceptional.
All time classic gif

Lose Willy Wonka GIF

I love that this discussion is in a Tmac thread, but original Willy Wonka is the absolute best, Gene Wilder is all time.
I rewatched Blazing Saddles last week. The man is fantastic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back