Past #26: Daniel Nielson - won't be offered a new contract - thanks for your efforts Dan

Remove this Banner Ad

A 'dour' defender like Neilson probably shouldn't be expected to smash the stats sheet. He looks to have been named in the bests for Werribee a few times.. maybe not as dominant as he was alongside Ben McKay for North's VFL team last year.

But upon looking at Werribee's game stats this year, it looks as if fellow ex-North player Oscar Junker isn't even cracking into the VFL firsts.. bummer for him, and worse recruiting for us

A 'dour' defender like Neilson probably shouldn't be expected to smash the stats sheet. He looks to have been named in the bests for Werribee a few times.. maybe not as dominant as he was alongside Ben McKay for North's VFL team last year.

But upon looking at Werribee's game stats this year, it looks as if fellow ex-North player Oscar Junker isn't even cracking into the VFL firsts.. bummer for him, and worse recruiting for us

You always knew what you’d get with Neilson, ultimately though he was just another Luke Delaney. You need to be more than a pure stopped in the AFL these days.

Junker could’ve have been okay had he not broken his leg early in his first pre-season. Only training one day a week with Werribee and is enjoying playing local footy.

Personally, I never saw the same ability or potential as many others in Nielson. Didn't surprise me at all to see him cut. He just wasn't good enough with the ball, and wasn't a good enough stopper to make up for those limitations. In fact, I remember having a couple of arguments with people on here when I said that Durdin was a much better player and prospect. And I don't think much would have changed under Shaw. Actually, I'm delighted that he seems to be a fan of Durds and has given him a bigger opportunity.

In saying that, I'm sure Nielson will carve out a very good career at the level below, which is absolutely nothing to be disappointed with.

Personally, I never saw the same ability or potential as many others in Nielson. Didn't surprise me at all to see him cut. He just wasn't good enough with the ball, and wasn't a good enough stopper to make up for those limitations. In fact, I remember having a couple of arguments with people on here when I said that Durdin was a much better player and prospect. And I don't think much would have changed under Shaw. Actually, I'm delighted that he seems to be a fan of Durds and has given him a bigger opportunity.

In saying that, I'm sure Nielson will carve out a very good career at the level below, which is absolutely nothing to be disappointed with.
fairly certain neilson stopped gray from port a few years back pretty well....showed some great agility for a bigger guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Touk Miller and Brayden Maynard went 4 and 5 picks later.

The EVW pick was no better.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Went to the Werribee Districts v Deer Park final on the weekend. Neilson is genuinely unrecognisable these days. I had no idea it was him until I got home and looked up the lists. Plays at FF and kicked 2 from very few possessions.

The 13 goals was against my mate's team a month or so back and they were hugely depleted.

Levi Greenwood was in the best for Deer Park and played a super game. He copped a few big hits but doesn't lose his footing. Tough footy in that league.

Returning to the Vermont Eagles in 2023.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221109_145223.jpg
    Screenshot_20221109_145223.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 103
Kicked 3 in a losing grand final for Vermont at the weekend.

376410725_774622911340637_4594304945288660325_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back