Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus

Remove this Banner Ad

Big call, I know, but I did the same with Rance (the majority of the board thought he was a complete bust) and had to wait years for him to vindicate the early call.

Gibcus is ahead of where Rance was at the same age in several areas, at this stage the only areas I could rate Rance ahead at the same age is speed/agility (negligible), bigger frame (irrelevant at this stage) and kicking penetration (negligible).
Rance had intangibles, thats what made him great. Heart, commitment, courage, and an ultra competitive beast that hated losing. That's what makes a player Rance level. It's not just talent and physical attributes.

Rance had intangibles, thats what made him great. Heart, commitment, courage, and an ultra competitive beast that hated losing. That's what makes a player Rance level. It's not just talent and physical attributes.

That's a great point and I agree, but I'd also argue that Gibcus has already shown similar traits.

That's a great point and I agree, but I'd also argue that Gibcus has already shown similar traits.
Rance is an AFL all time great FB, Gibcus hasn't even debuted. There's some pretty crazy comparisons to even put them in the same sentence at this stage.

Rance is an AFL all time great FB, Gibcus hasn't even debuted. There's some pretty crazy comparisons to even put them in the same sentence at this stage.

As you may recall, once upon a time Rance used to get frequently compared on here to a 'clueless butcher of the footy' who 'ran around like a chook with its head cut off' and 'couldn't win an aerial contest if his life depended on it.' If we could get any trade for him then get it done ASAP was the 98-99% consensus.

I'm happy to cop some 'crazy' linked to this admittedly early call, but I stand by it, like all the others I've made in the past.

I'd seen Jack play two games of junior football when I said I'd take him above any other tall in his draft and that he'd become a ripper player. I had more people insist I was a world class idiot over that call than any other. And they doubled down even harder when I said Garland would become the 2nd best player out of that Tassie state side.

You don't cope well with change and uncertainty.
I dont see the logic in people comparing a kid yet to debut with one of the GOAT full backs.

If someone from another team compared one of their top picks to Silvagni before they'd played a game, everyone on here would be laughing their heads off at them.

If Gibcus gets to 200 games AA level that'd be a great start and a win. Just cool the jets on a kid who has done 0 at AFL level. He's proven nothing yet.

Gee whiz, if he plays we're asking a lot of a skinny kid. It looks like Curnow and Harry McKay will both play. Throw in Silvagni as the third marking forward and that's potent. Gibcus can probably take Silvagni, but Curnow or McKay would just be too strong.

For all the talk of Balta forward, I think we need him to handle one of the big forwards. Tarrant looks undersized for McKay.
Miller takes the monsters.

Gibcus if there is a spot for an intercept back.

Miller takes the monsters.

Gibcus if there is a spot for an intercept back.
Normally Grimes (if he misses) would take Silvani or Curnow so maybe Miller has to come in as De Koning will also rest forward. Miller could also go to McKay if he gets off the leash because he is a bit taller and springier than Tarrant, but also much quicker so would keep up with McKay who gets most of his goals on the lead. Giibcus as good as he looks might not be able to take McKay as he is just so big. Interesting selection dilemma.

Correct and the most popular choice was Hobbs who i was not a big fan

From what i have seen of the bombers games Hobbs is yet to play in the practice games
Played in the first one and scored like 9 fantasy points on limited game time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Normally Grimes (if he misses) would take Silvani or Curnow so maybe Miller has to come in as De Koning will also rest forward. Miller could also go to McKay if he gets off the leash because he is a bit taller and springier than Tarrant, but also much quicker so would keep up with McKay who gets most of his goals on the lead. Giibcus as good as he looks might not be able to take McKay as he is just so big. Interesting selection dilemma.

Agree.

You want to fast track Gibcus because he has so much evident talent - oozes class.

Miller doesn't ooze class, but he is a big unit capable of taking the 100kg monsters here and now.

So how about the choice much do you want to reward effort over years and size to take the big boys (Miller), vs talent and long term development (Gibcus).

Right here and now Miller will probably help us win more. Probably Miller is also able to be a plug and play for Balta (much lower standard, but fills the hole).

But Gibcus just looks so damn good he can be that decade key piece in a top end defence.

I dont see the logic in people comparing a kid yet to debut with one of the GOAT full backs.

If someone from another team compared one of their top picks to Silvagni before they'd played a game, everyone on here would be laughing their heads off at them.

If Gibcus gets to 200 games AA level that'd be a great start and a win. Just cool the jets on a kid who has done 0 at AFL level. He's proven nothing yet.

on top of that i thought during our intra club (yes i know 'just' an intra club), i thought be was a bit off it - definately changed opinion after praccie game but agree the comparison is way front running the kid .... having said that, signs are we're going to enjoy Mr Gibcus's career none the less ....

As you may recall, once upon a time Rance used to get frequently compared on here to a 'clueless butcher of the footy' who 'ran around like a chook with its head cut off' and 'couldn't win an aerial contest if his life depended on it.' If we could get any trade for him then get it done ASAP was the 98-99% consensus.

I'm happy to cop some 'crazy' linked to this admittedly early call, but I stand by it, like all the others I've made in the past.

I'd seen Jack play two games of junior football when I said I'd take him above any other tall in his draft and that he'd become a ripper player. I had more people insist I was a world class idiot over that call than any other. And they doubled down even harder when I said Garland would become the 2nd best player out of that Tassie state side.
Hehe I remember back in Rance's early games holding my breath when he kicked the footy because he was a liability and could turn it over.

Hehe I remember back in Rance's early games holding my breath when he kicked the footy because he was a liability and could turn it over.

He sure was hit and miss, but the makings of a solid player was there...though I don't think anyone realised just how good. ;)

Razor would you like back that statement with some proof?

"If we could get any trade for him then get it done ASAP was the 98-99% consensus."

Rance never had this level of hostility, seems like something pulled of your proverbial to make a cheap point.

Yes earlier on Rance made regular mistakes trying too hard but his best was amazing and he didn't have a great backline to develop in.

Razor would you like back that statement with some proof?

"If we could get any trade for him then get it done ASAP was the 98-99% consensus."

Rance never had this level of hostility, seems like something pulled of your proverbial to make a cheap point.

Yes earlier on Rance made regular mistakes trying too hard but his best was amazing and he didn't have a great backline to develop in.

Your request would take hundreds if not thousands of hours when you think about how many thousands of posts I'd have to scroll through to 'prove' there was consensus, not to mention the fact that the way the BF archives work, even searching a relevant term like 'Rance trade' just gives you 10 pages of results which cover only as far back as the speculation surrounding his supposed 'return' in 2021!

I didn't just 'make it up', it's very much the way I remember his games and worth being commented on until at least year 3 and perhaps even 4 of him being listed, because I was endlessly defending him and - like many players over the years - it was pretty thin on the ground for people doing so (IIRC, RT was one of them). I'm happy to concede that '98-99%' is more than likely to be an exaggeration, but it was most definitely a very strong majority of very vocal people.

You may remember otherwise, in which case, I don't suppose you'd really want to donate a couple of thousand hours trawling the archives week after week to proving you're right either? ;)

Here is a typical Tiger Supporters thread concerning Alex Rance.

After his third game.

Usual mix of opinions, some writing him off, some claiming being a solid battler is fine, some saying give him a chance.

After his third game.

Usual mix of opinions, some writing him off, some claiming being a solid battler is fine, some saying give him a chance.
People seem to forget that Rance was a whipping boy in his earlier days. Like the other posts here I remember he had a lot of critism back then. I personally thought he was showing good athleticism and while not expecting him to become elite, I thought he would at least become a serviceable player.

Don't know what Rance has got to do with Gibcus. His kicking looks fine, he's no Vlastuin but neither are/were Astbury, Grimes, Broad, Rance and half the other tall backs in the league. He seems to have reasonable time with the ball which is the hallmark of a good player, and given he is 5 minutes into his long career, the signs are all positive. Rance had nowhere near the time with the ball that Gibcus seems to have (pretty short time to make that judgement) when he first started and he was a VFL season older.

After his third game.

Thanks smurfin, was an interesting trip down memory lane. :thumbsu:

My memory of things is that while there was a lot of 'wait and see' and 'give him a chance' on the board in his first season, by the time we were getting smashed in the early Hardwick years, the overwhelming tide of opinion was against him ever making it.

But to be fair, there may well have been quite a few people that just got sick of arguing with thr significant core of those posters calling for his de-listing or trading.

People seem to forget that Rance was a whipping boy in his earlier days. Like the other posts here I remember he had a lot of critism back then. I personally thought he was showing good athleticism and while not expecting him to become elite, I thought he would at least become a serviceable player.

That's my recollection mate and yeah, I came to similar early conclusions.

Reckon Gibcus will get the challenge of playing on Charlie Curnow ? Josh Battle kept him goal-less and quiet last week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back