Preview Round 11 v Port Adelaide MCG Sunday May 28th 1.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For just the 5th time since 2012 we host Port Adelaide at the MCG in what could be a last chance at resurrecting our season against a side that knocked off Melbourne quite comfortably on Friday night and is riding high on the back of a 7 game winning streak. They'll be heading into the MCG chock full of confidence and looking to get back on the winners list against us after losing their last 2 games against us.

Possible Line Up
F: Ryan Martin Miller
HF: Mansell Prestia Graham
C: Ross Taranto Pickett
HB: D.Rioli Broad Baker
B: Vlastuin Grimes Balta
R: Nankervis Short Bolton
INT: Cotchin Ralphsmith Dow Banks

Out: Riewoldt(managed) McIntosh(omit) Clarke(sub)
In: Miller Banks

Could go the wholesale changes path, however I'd go with 2 changes and give Jack a week off if he is so sore and after a lacklustre season so far I'd like to see Banks finally rewarded for a solid season at VFL level and give him his debut and see what he brings to the table. I'd also like to give Dow another opportunity as I feel that too often we've just given young players a week to prove themselves before taking the easy option and dropping them. I'd put Ryan to FF and have Miller come in to support Nankervis in the ruck and to play as the second tall forward so that Ryan is not battling Allir on his own.

Through the midfield I'd move Pickett back to the wing with McIntosh going out of the side to give us that experienced winger to get back and help the back line. Ross played well enough against Essendon to maintain his spot on the wing. In the centre square Taranto Short & Bolton are going to have their hands full dealing with Butters Rozee and Wines. If we're not up for the challenge the Power midfielders could well and truly have a field day given what they did against Melbourne on Friday night.

Our back line has been in reasonable form the last month since Broad returned to restore our structures down there. So there is little need to change anything as far as they are concerned and they should be able to match it with the Port forward line especially if Dixon is still out.

Can we end Ports winning streak? Based on how we played on Saturday night you wouldn't think it's possible, especially given Port are full of confidence and will know that a win will solidify their position in the top 4 heading towards the bye rounds. Also when you look at the side I've selected our ability to score is going to rely heavily on the likes of Martin & Bolton kicking multiple goals and a couple of goals each from Ryan & Miller to give us a chance. Even if we have Jack playing, his inability to compete let alone jump on Saturday night won't make things much easier.

As much as I'd like to tip the boys I just can't bring myself to do it and reckon Port will get us by about 5 goals. However there would be no better team to end our run of losses in games decided by less than a goal than to do it to Port, just to mess with old mates Kane and Kenny.

EDIT: After the Hardwick news I'm tipping us to go out in a blaze a glory and give Port a nice old touch up.

Last edited:

Anyone expecting anything dramatically different will be disappointed

Mini is literally Dimma’s 2IC and been in every single meeting and match committee selection that Dimma has

The team will probably look the same as if Dimma was coaching as well the general gameplan and structures

Mini is literally Dimma’s 2IC and been in every single meeting and match committee selection that Dimma has

The team will probably look the same as if Dimma was coaching as well the general gameplan and structures
Only thing that may change is level of effort, whether it is better or worse. Don’t know which way it’ll go, but I expect a change in dedication and work rate.

Hopefully they kick the footy properly this week. Looked like we were trying to boot a sack of potatoes around on Saturday.

For just the 5th time since 2012 we host Port Adelaide at the MCG in what could be a last chance at resurrecting our season against a side that knocked off Melbourne quite comfortably on Friday night and is riding high on the back of a 7 game winning streak. They'll be heading into the MCG chock full of confidence and looking to get back on the winners list against us after losing their last 2 games against us.

Possible Line Up

Could go the wholesale changes path, however I'd go with 2 changes and give Jack a week off if he is so sore and after a lacklustre season so far I'd like to see Banks finally rewarded for a solid season at VFL level and give him his debut and see what he brings to the table. I'd also like to give Dow another opportunity as I feel that too often we've just given young players a week to prove themselves before taking the easy option and dropping them. I'd put Ryan to FF and have Miller come in to support Nankervis in the ruck and to play as the second tall forward so that Ryan is not battling Allir on his own.

Through the midfield I'd move Pickett back to the wing with McIntosh going out of the side to give us that experienced winger to get back and help the back line. Ross played well enough against Essendon to maintain his spot on the wing. In the centre square Taranto Short & Bolton are going to have their hands full dealing with Butters Rozee and Wines. If we're not up for the challenge the Power midfielders could well and truly have a field day given what they did against Melbourne on Friday night.

Our back line has been in reasonable form the last month since Broad returned to restore our structures down there. So there is little need to change anything as far as they are concerned and they should be able to match it with the Port forward line especially if Dixon is still out.

Can we end Ports winning streak? Based on how we played on Saturday night you wouldn't think it's possible, especially given Port are full of confidence and will know that a win will solidify their position in the top 4 heading towards the bye rounds. Also when you look at the side I've selected our ability to score is going to rely heavily on the likes of Martin & Bolton kicking multiple goals and a couple of goals each from Ryan & Miller to give us a chance. Even if we have Jack playing, his inability to compete let alone jump on Saturday night won't make things much easier.

As much as I'd like to tip the boys I just can't bring myself to do it and reckon Port will get us by about 5 goals. However there would be no better team to end our run of losses in games decided by less than a goal than to do it to Port, just to mess with old mates Kane and Kenny.

EDIT: After the Hardwick news I'm tipping us to go out in a blaze a glory and give Port a nice old touch up.
Either Cotchin or Martin in the forward line but not both. Neither is quick enough or defensive enough. Dusty the obvious pick. Put Cotch as sub and bring in Cumberland. And start Dow in the centre and tell him to run with one of the Port midfielders. Give the kid a chance to learn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was that better or worse than the Hafey game?
Jimmy Fallon No Difference GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Na they have 5 days to change everything they’ve worked on since November

Possible Line Up

Reckon miller and Cumbo come in for a rested Jack and omitted Clarke or Dow

In :Cumbo, Young
Out : Dow and Jack
If it’s seen as a send off game for Dimma even if he isn’t coaching I can’t imagine Jack not playing
He could be on one leg and he would want to play for the occasion

If it’s seen as a send off game for Dimma even if he isn’t coaching I can’t imagine Jack not playing
He could be on one leg and he would want to play for the occasion

Jack would never miss a game if it was up to him. Like you say he would play on one leg.

But after last week’s performance he shouldn’t get a say in whether he plays this week if he’s still sore.

He needs a rest and should be made to take a week off regardless if they have some sort of tribute to Dimma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back