Past #28: Kayne Turner - pick #25 in '14 RD - delisted end '22 - re-listed w/ #39 in '22 RD - delisted end "23 - 111gm/58gl - thx Kayno

Remove this Banner Ad

We ain’t making no granny’s if turner is playing
Maybe not but his off field (prep and role playing) committment and standards are high. If our more skillful players are showing this level of commitment we are going to be in a good place.

r10_2.gif

Clarko mentioned the difference between players who are good enough for AFL and Premiership players.

Turner might not be the first thing but he has the qualities to be the second and even if it never eventuates for him, if the guys who he plays learn to with bring the commitment he shows in the vids just above then he has done his job and this pick is a success.

Maybe not but his off field (prep and role playing) committment and standards are high. If our more skillful players are showing this level of commitment we are going to be in a good place.

r10_2.gif

Note the dates of those videos.

Just isn’t up to it anymore.
He is an absolute liability.
Can have the best leadership in the world and try the hardest, organise the raffles and be everyone’s best mate that’s great but he is no longer AFL standard.
He just isn’t.

I don't think I've disliked a player on our list more than I have Kanye tbh - the list management team undid a lot of good achieved this period with their last action during it.

Atrocious footballer with first-class stealth photo gathering skills.

Even 'Shifter' Would describe him as 'a boy that tries hard' as this is his prominent quality. Would love to love him for his effort but am unable to enjoy him any more than some stupid bird that gets inside my house and then keeps flying into windows. My wince gets bigger each time the bird winds-up and then, again, hits the window. Him and Ziebell and their 'culture' is not part of the solution and have lead us to skill-thoughtless hand-slapping mediocrity.

No space for selfish non-combative country consensus-building political thinking in the AFL. It is a game for cut-throat urbanites who can handle the constant sounds of traffic and walk and talk on the phone while drinking coffee. We should never again put anyone in a leadership role that has lived more than three hours drive from Melbourne's GPO. Might as well be another country or another floor of the house like that south Korean movie about house-hold help.

I am suspending my NMFC membership for one week in protest. Shut up and grow some food (except you Brayden George).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I would have given the spot to Walker or Jed, but hey, I'm not the list manager.

I'm sure they have their reasons for keeping him around.

Congrats Sugar on wrangling another year.

We picked him with the last pick in the rookie draft. Calm the * down!

Some of you are acting like we traded 2 and 3 for a 5th rounder and then picked him up.

Having brought in Shiels and Howe for apparently professionalism and leadership reasons, I don't believe it was necessary for Kayne to be recalled. Great bloke around the club, fully committed to the cause, but this is a football team, not a men's shed. You can have all the dedication and likeability in the world, if you can't navigate your way around a patch of grass whilst a piece of leather flies around, you're surplus to requirements and really have no business being there. There is a strong, strong case to be made that Kayne was the worst player in the league to play 15 games or more last season. Absolutely through no fault of his own (though I do wonder what brought about his deterioration from at least serviceable to downright garbage) but I'm really struggling to see what the club's endgame goal is here. Well done mate on somehow getting another year and I hope that circumstances don't become so dire that your onfield services are required.

Last edited:
The AFL will be sending a “Please Explain” letter.
We are gifted 2 Rookie spots and we burn them on Howe and Turner. Both would be on a very short list for The worse player on an AFL list year. Turner through no fault of his own unfortunately offers nothing. He isn’t even a reasonable VFL player. It’s like the recruiting team forgot there was a Rookie draft today.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The AFL will be sending a “Please Explain” letter.
We are gifted 2 Rookie spots and we burn them on Howe and Turner. Both would be on a very short list for The worse player on an AFL list year. Turner through no fault of his own unfortunately offers nothing. He isn’t even a reasonable VFL player. It’s like the recruiting team forgot there was a Rookie draft today.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If the AFL wanted us to pickup good mature players then they should have given us picks / points accordingly.

They did, and we recruited Logue and Tucker for free
Exactly my point, we used what they gave us with value to pickup good mature players, the idea that they could send a please explain because we couldn't turn a couple of rookie picks into ready to go best 22 players is nonsense.

Having brought in Shiels and Howe for apparently professionalism and leadership reasons, I don't believe it was necessary for Kayne to be recalled. Great bloke around the club, fully committed to the cause, but this is a football team, not a men's shed. You can have all the dedication and likeability in the world, if you can't navigate your way around a patch of grass whilst a piece of leather flies around, you're surplus to requirements and really have no business being there. There is a strong, strong case to be made that Kayne was the worst player in the league to play 15 games or more last season. Absolutely through no fault of his own (though I do wonder what brought about his deterioration from at least serviceable to downright garbage) but I'm really struggling to see what the club's endgame goal is here. Well done mate on somehow getting another year and I hope that circumstances don't become so dire that your onfield services are required.
You're kidding right? The club has been very open about needing players that set training standards as an example around the club.

I would argue that all of Turner, Shiel, and Howe aren't going to have regular gigs in the AFL but will be setting training standards on the track and guidance in the VFL. This is crucial with our young list and to get the VFL team playing in way that they apply pressure to the guys in the AFL team.

Here is Jackson Archer referring to Kayne Turner's leadership (with a couple of others) guiding this young bloke on field:

It's the reason we were given additional rookie spots and it's how we used them. Turner and Howe in the 2 additional and Shiel via SSP.

We picked him with the last pick in the rookie draft. Calm the * down!

Some of you are acting like we traded 2 and 3 for a 5th rounder and then picked him up.
I know. We delisted him so I'm not expecting him to play alot of games. I am expecting him to show the sort of intent and commitment we need to win flags. (Even if he doesn't have the talent.) Tho personally I'd rather we kept Jed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back