Past 29. Cameron Polson

Remove this Banner Ad

He was odds on to be re-signed, and they've opted for 2 years.

With Lamb, Graham, LeBois, Mullett and Shaw likely gone at the end of the year, and Simpson, Thomas and Murphy no spring chickens, it's the optimal move.
Could mean a tough call next year though if these types come on unexpectedly, should Polson linger.

Because of this, I would have opted for just the one year to have a bit more wriggle room, but then I am more bullish on the likes of Lamb.

Three years should probably be the minimum anyway, given you are renegotiating only 12-18 months later in the current environment.

Long term rotation mid/pressure forward, love the big picture thinking.

Probably an 80/20 forward/up the ground split. Not sure that he will ever have the size, skill, composure and clean ball-handling in traffic to be a midfield option.

Seems like the club is training him in the dark art of manic pressure, that'll be his long-term role if he wants to stick in the AFL.

Happy with this! Good on him - some reward for his hard work, and a big nod of encouragement from the club for him to keep working hard.

I think we've seen many ingredients of a very handy footballer from Cam - it's just not often that we've seen them all together. If he can start ramping up his productivity to the levels seen early in 2017, in conjunction with his improved defensive efforts and tackling pressure etc, then I think there's definitely a spot for him.

He's had a lot of 'nearly' moments in games - in the right spot to rove, but fumbled a little, in the perfect position to collect a spoil from the contest and snap at goal, but just miss, laid some nice tackles in the 50 but unrewarded, etc. I'm hopeful it'll all come together and 'click' for Cam. Just needs more time, and he has that now.

Not sold on this Polson signing. However, you don't give up on young kids with potential unless they've proven to be completely inept or to be a headcase devoid of the right mentality.

As for Polson, he's ticked every box expected of him and then some. I don't think he'll have thrown the towel in at the end of the 2019 season either way, so it's reasonable to give him assurances and then make the call at the end of 2020.

Needs two very big pre seasons... can see the talent just inconsistent

Just not convinced Polson had clearly put himself out of that equation as yet (or rather, why we've chosen to), when many factors are to play out, including where we may need depth heading into 2020 etc.

Just not convinced Polson had clearly put himself out of that equation as yet (or rather, why we've chosen to), when many factors are to play out, including where we may need depth heading into 2020 etc.
They were really excited about him over the pre-season, but they're obviously disappointed with his midfield impact at AFL level. He's training for a different role in the VFL now, and he's close to selection again.

From there, he may develop into an AFL midfielder while putting up AFL minutes in a forward role. Pretty much exactly like Fisher, just trading some strength in the tackle for some more top-end speed.

As for Polson, he's ticked every box expected of him and then some. I don't think he'll have thrown the towel in at the end of the 2019 season either way, so it's reasonable to give him assurances and then make the call at the end of 2020.

They were really excited about him over the pre-season, but they're obviously disappointed with his midfield impact at AFL level. He's training for a different role in the VFL now, and he's close to selection again.

So which is it? He either disappointed them enough that they've been forced to change tact or he's ticked every box. It cannot be both.

Personally, I see a physically gifted footballer who is very much a maybe. Again, you don't cut those types of players but I personally prefer that they make them earn everything they get. A two-year contract is a sign of confidence in a player that they've shown not to have confidence in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So which is it? He either disappointed them enough that they've been forced to change tact or he's ticked every box. It cannot be both.

Personally, I see a physically gifted footballer who is very much a maybe. Again, you don't cut those types of players but I personally prefer that they make them earn everything they get. A two-year contract is a sign of confidence in a player that they've shown not to have confidence in.
What I'm saying is that he's not made any mistakes, but the club has. Our future midfield will be pretty undersized around the stoppages unless we get to drafting more medium and tall mids.

Maybe SOS has a "development group" on his list management of say 5-10 players that will provide depth for future. Players like Polsen, Schumacher, Kerr, Macreadie could fit that bill and maybe add more end of the year

Not the silliest thing I've read, it's either him or Cuningham who has to take up that role because we need one quite urgently.

Not IMO. Not his go. He can find the ball and is smart. Mid/HF/Wing will be his go. He's better than people think. Struggled with hip injury last year and missed a lot of football as a kid. Get a run at it and he will be very very good

Groom him as a small defender.

Not the silliest thing I've read, it's either him or Cuningham who has to take up that role because we need one quite urgently.
Not sure he has the frame to play that role with any physicality, which makes him useless at it in the modern game.

He's an outside/small forward type.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back