Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - tags N.Daicos vs Collingwood - subbed off at 3/4 time??

Remove this Banner Ad

Who said we are trading him. Do you know this for a fact. Or just presuming.

I have no inside information whatsoever. And as an aside, as someone who used to, 99% of people who claim to know stuff for sure are full of shit. Just FYI.

I assume that he will not be at the club next year. I think this is an assumption based in some reality.
He isn't playing. He isn't playing particularly well in the reserves. The players in front of him are younger and/or better or both and none will be moving on any time soon. There will likely be at least two players added, probably 3, that will walk in the door better footballers.

He'll either be delisted or traded for pick 55, at best.

Wil Phil pick 3, LMac pick 8, Thomas pick 8, Dyl Stephens pick 5 (Sydney), Jaidyn Stephenson pick 6 (Collingwood), Jy pick 12, CCJ trade for pick 19. I might be a bit harsh on Jy here but that is a lot of under performing high end talent. Obviously TT a different scenario. The question has to be asked, what the hell are they doing at North? We all know we have drafted, traded and developed poorly over the last decade. How can we get it so wrong so often? Not to mention the Polec trade and the Melbourne pick swap a few years back.

Wil Phil pick 3, LMac pick 8, Thomas pick 8, Dyl Stephens pick 5 (Sydney), Jaidyn Stephenson pick 6 (Collingwood), Jy pick 12, CCJ trade for pick 19. I might be a bit harsh on Jy here but that is a lot of under performing high end talent. Obviously TT a different scenario. The question has to be asked, what the hell are they doing at North? We all know we have drafted, traded and developed poorly over the last decade. How can we get it so wrong so often? Not to mention the Polec trade and the Melbourne pick swap a few years back.

TT aside, thats not high end talent. That's just players that were drafted high.

The high picks for Stephenson and Stephens are completely irrelevant.

We didn't trade pick 19 for CCJ.

LMac & Jye have 3 Sids between them. Maybe not in the best of years, but both have at times been very good for us.

Thomas really hurts, but it is on him. He was worth a high pick.

Iam not saying wills a bust just yet but if we were going to muff a first rounder the covid draft would be the most probable one to do so in. Just more stinking bad luck we were crap when the lockdown came. Plenty of other poor selections however without complicating circumstances.

LMac & Jye have 3 Sids between them. Maybe not in the best of years, but both have at times been very good for us.

Well said. This thread has regressed to the level where people are blaming North for the draft position of players who we didn't draft.

Well said. This thread has regressed to the level where people are blaming North for the draft position of players who we didn't draft.
So, so true.

It’s like Tom Hank’s character in Castaway when he gets so frazzled with not being rescued he starts fighting with a Volleyball..

We’ve hit that point with so many loses, people are now blaming other Clubs draft bungles as our own.

Gee we need a win..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No I haven't lost my tiny mind.

Was chatting with an ex North recruiter just last this afternoon. He was at the VFLs to watch us get humiliated by Werribee.

Said he watched Phillips closely and at one stage Phillips held good position before the ball was bounced. Only for his opponent to bump him and steal the inside spot on him. So now Phillips was out of position and no real chance to impact the contest.

Now that is probably a lack of awareness and a lack of senior support.

He went onto say Phillips will probably be a later developer. Around the age of 25/6.
So with 38 players on the list. Does it matter if Phillips spends the next few years in the VFL. Someone has to.

He wouldn't be on huge coin and he won't get offered huge money anywhere.
We have to keep some players Afterall. He certainly isn't ready now.
Anyways there you have it.

Philips will be a decent AFL list player with the potential to be a good senior player contributor. Problem at North is that he is one of many options in the position and he is down the pecking order. I thought last year Essendon would be a decent fit but players like Durham can come in and impact so maybe not as decent as I thought.

I actually think physically he looks ok from a development point of view. I think Powell is the one that will take a mother couple of years to build a stronger body.

David Teague & Andrew Carrazzo won B&F’s for Carlton in the mid 2000’s.

No I haven't lost my tiny mind.

Was chatting with an ex North recruiter just last this afternoon. He was at the VFLs to watch us get humiliated by Werribee.

Said he watched Phillips closely and at one stage Phillips held good position before the ball was bounced. Only for his opponent to bump him and steal the inside spot on him. So now Phillips was out of position and no real chance to impact the contest.

Now that is probably a lack of awareness and a lack of senior support.

He went onto say Phillips will probably be a later developer. Around the age of 25/6.
So with 38 players on the list. Does it matter if Phillips spends the next few years in the VFL. Someone has to.

He wouldn't be on huge coin and he won't get offered huge money anywhere.
We have to keep some players Afterall. He certainly isn't ready now.
Anyways there you have it.

I don’t see a starting 22 spot for him anywhere else. Even at Richmond they have Prestia, Taranto & Hopper in a similar role. Saints need more variety, not more dull inside players. A lot of previously unheralded guys (Durham, Windhager, Soligo) are outperforming him.

Only a year behind the likes of Rowell, Anderson, Serong, Green, Day…it’s difficult to see him ever catching up now, even guys like Flanders & Young have shown more in the midfield and they’ve spent half a season each as full time mids.

Don't forget Melbourne: Cale Morton, Jimmy Toumpas, Jackson trengove, Jack Watts and Tom Scully. All top 10 draft picks, some 1 & 2s.
The draft is a lottery. North has has successful picks and several busts just like every other club.

I'll preface this by saying I loved Phillips as a prospect, loved that he bought into our club and thought he'd captain us one day.

I watched him very closely in the VFL today. On paper he had an alright game. Over 24 touches playing midfield.

But, he's just cruising. He used to motor between contests and then go hard AF at the ball when it was there for the taking. Yes, I know he was never quick quick, but he had gears. Those gears appear to be gone. It's a symptom of when midfielders have lost all confidence, they sit that 5-10m off a contest and don't seem to know when to crack in and when not to, so they cruise around at 65% of their top speed, running hard, running defensively, but not running well.

If we offered another contract to him this year I'd be disappointed for him if he accepted it. He needs a new environment.

Unfortunately, Will is not the only one in the squad not playing with any confidence that is impacting their ability to play to their true potential. I’d throw these guys in as well to that mix: Ford, Stephenson, Duursma, Scott, Zurhaar, Larkey, Simpkin.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't forget Melbourne: Cale Morton, Jimmy Toumpas, Jackson trengove, Jack Watts and Tom Scully. All top 10 draft picks, some 1 & 2s.
The draft is a lottery. North has has successful picks and several busts just like every other club.
Watts was a decent player if not a champ and scully was flying at GWS till he did his ankle. but moreton and the toump were massive fails.

I have no inside information whatsoever. And as an aside, as someone who used to, 99% of people who claim to know stuff for sure are full of shit. Just FYI.

I assume that he will not be at the club next year. I think this is an assumption based in some reality.
He isn't playing. He isn't playing particularly well in the reserves. The players in front of him are younger and/or better or both and none will be moving on any time soon. There will likely be at least two players added, probably 3, that will walk in the door better footballers.

He'll either be delisted or traded for pick 55, at best.
I would expect he will seek an opportunity elsewhere but if there's no interest, we may well keep him as depth on a one year contract. We can't delist everyone and expect the 10th player added to the list at the arse end of the draft is going to be a better player than Will. We've done that for the last few years and it has to stop at some point.

Yes they drafted poorly then turned it around. Are we patting ourselves on the back too much?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back