AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish - Back in the side - 25/7

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope so cause change is obviously desperately needed
Well I am not going on a limb and saying he will make the right decisions but he will have the call.

parish is good, but not that good, and we don’t have the system/cattle in place to capitalise on his strengths while covering his weaknesses. if the list was built correctly we wouldn’t be in this position, but this is where it’s at and it’s probably easier to let him go than to rearrange the rest of the midfield to fit him in. will probably rip us to shreds for another team, but it’ll say more about their structure/balance/gameplan than darcy.
More faith in Caldwell for the future tbh.

Keep changing the goal posts if you need to. You will find a way to blame the 126 points on Parish somehow.
And you'll keep finding ways to excuse him.

And round and round you'll go.

And you'll keep finding ways to excuse him.

And round and round you'll go.
I'm not excusing anyone. I already said he was Bog average on Saturday, at best - if you didnt bother to read it.

Just don't see why a disproportionate amount of losses seem to always go on Darcy.
The fact he is out of contract doesn't mean he ought to shoulder a greater amount of blame than anyone else.

I'm not excusing anyone. I already said he was Bog average on Saturday, at best - if you didnt bother to read it.

Just don't see why a disproportionate amount of losses seem to always go on Darcy.
The fact he is out of contract doesn't mean he ought to shoulder a greater amount of blame than anyone else.
I did read it. But it's your second paragraph that I'm referring to, andleanback never put the whole loss on Parish. But you're acting like he did as seen here:
Keep changing the goal posts if you need to. You will find a way to blame the 126 points on Parish somehow.
If you're going to accuse others on being disproportionate maybe dial back your own hyperbole.

Whilst I agree with you to a point, you do have to admit that pressure/blame/expectations are placed on players disproportionately in general.

This is often due to being a leader, or being paid a huge sum of money, or by being known as the best player.

Darcy is our prime onballer, is holding his hand out for a massive contract (which he is entitled to I'm not criticising that action) and he is one of our "leaders".
The whole parish trade debate silliness aside, the expectations on him are higher. When he does not meet those the noise is going to be louder.
Unfortunately, as is often the case, with good-decent players they do attract harsher criticism when they fall off slightly, and they don't attract the same praise when they overperform.

Some of the negativity for Darcy is overboard.
However some of the defence of him has been also overboard.

Whilst I agree with you to a point, you do have to admit that pressure/blame/expectations are placed on players disproportionately in general.

This is often due to being a leader, or being paid a huge sum of money, or by being known as the best player.

Darcy is our prime onballer, is holding his hand out for a massive contract (which he is entitled to I'm not criticising that action) and he is one of our "leaders".
The whole parish trade debate silliness aside, the expectations on him are higher. When he does not meet those the noise is going to be louder.
Unfortunately, as is often the case, with good-decent players they do attract harsher criticism when they fall off slightly, and they don't attract the same praise when they overperform.

Some of the negativity for Darcy is overboard.
However some of the defence of him has been also overboard.
I would cop this if other senior players copped the same heat.

Merrett had 10 disposals, 2 contested possessions and 0 tackles to half time - and he is the literal captain if you want to talk about leaders and highly paid players. I haven't seen his thread light up.

I hate that I feel like I am forced to take a more pro-Parish position than I actually have, but some of the dross that gets spouted in this thread from week to week is just mind boggling.

Darcy didn't play well on the weekend. He was soft in the contest on multiple occasions, didn't buy in defensively and had some shocking turnovers. No one is arguing different.

But he wasn't robinson crusoe on Saturday, almost everyone, including the rest of our midfield, was exactly the same.
For the majority of the year Darcy has been what he is, a very good (not elite) midfielder with some elite traits and some flaws that stick out.
Why he would cop more heat from Saturday than anyone else because of his contract (over someone like Merrett or McGrath who were equally poor or worse) just boggles my mind.

I would cop this if other senior players copped the same heat.

Merrett had 10 disposals, 2 contested possessions and 0 tackles to half time - and he is the literal captain if you want to talk about leaders and highly paid players. I haven't seen his thread light up.

I hate that I feel like I am forced to take a more pro-Parish position than I actually have, but some of the dross that gets spouted in this thread from week to week is just mind boggling.

Darcy didn't play well on the weekend. He was soft in the contest on multiple occasions, didn't buy in defensively and had some shocking turnovers. No one is arguing different.

But he wasn't robinson crusoe on Saturday, almost everyone, including the rest of our midfield, was exactly the same.
For the majority of the year Darcy has been what he is, a very good (not elite) midfielder with some elite traits and some flaws that stick out.
Why he would cop more heat from Saturday than anyone else because of his contract (over someone like Merrett or McGrath who were equally poor or worse) just boggles my mind.

You are not wrong, but I suppose when you have yet to sign a new deal with the club, and the rumored reason is because Darcy thinks he's worth more. You are going to place a bigger target on yourself IMO.

Redman has played complete dog shit since he signed with us. And I'm pretty confident if he was still unsigned, he would be copping it too.

Junior whilst was bad, was also tagged. Hard to break that tag if the rest of your mids are serving up dog shit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are not wrong, but I suppose when you have yet to sign a new deal with the club, and the rumored reason is because Darcy thinks he's worth more. You are going to place a bigger target on yourself IMO.

Redman has played complete dog s**t since he signed with us. And I'm pretty confident if he was still unsigned, he would be copping it too.

Junior whilst was bad, was also tagged. Hard to break that tag if the rest of your mids are serving up dog s**t.
Darcy is worth what someone is prepared to pay. I am surprised at how blasé people are over a couple of hundred grand, especially these days when loyalty has fallen by the wayside a fair bit. i mean, that is quite a lot of coin. At the end of the day, liking the place will only go so far and he'd be mad not to be considering other offers, especially if they are as high as has been reported. In the end the offer might be too good for him to stay.

Darcy is worth what someone is prepared to pay. I am surprised at how blasé people are over a couple of hundred grand, especially these days when loyalty has fallen by the wayside a fair bit. i mean, that is quite a lot of coin. At the end of the day, liking the place will only go so far and he'd be mad not to be considering other offers, especially if they are as high as has been reported. In the end the offer might be too good for him to stay.

Quite frankly he would be mad to stay.
If the numbers are to be believed take the coin, move to a new side that might have some success in your career.
Would not hold it against him in the slightest.

You don't get out of bed for a couple hundred grand.

The pile on comes because no one will listen when you mention the turnovers, missed opportunities, rushed possessions, being pushed off the ball when we win. The stat sheet vindicates everything when there is a win.

Just ask me, I've been trying to tell you guys Parish is nothing like Essendon thinks he is for probably 6 years.

Last edited:
I've changed my mind on this. Reckon we need all the draft/trade capital we can get as it's clear we won't be competing in his prime and that there's gaps we need to fill to be serious football club. We are notorious for holding our goods and wanting more. Think it is about time we start giving up more to get more.

Especially since I think he just can't lay a tackle and would prosper more in a midfield that has other tougher midfielders around him and are more closer to a flag.

So yeah, I think we need to be bold and take a punt on using him as capital. These recent months have shown us up a lot more and we need to invest in that.

If he walks, he walks...We won't be any worse off. Caldwell, Hobbs, Perkins, Martin and Tsatas will continue to develop as pure mids and we can't waste pure mids playing half forward flank, we need HFs playing that role. If the club and Parish are far apart in terms of $$$, then let him go. There is a reason we are offering what we are.

He will dominate at Geelong because his deficiencies won't be as exposed. He like most of our team, like it easy and when it is going well, he shines. If he stays, he needs to be surrounded by big body defensive midfielders. We have way too many midfielders on the list and tough calls need to be made and Merrett isn't going anywhere.

AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish - Back in the side - 25/7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back