Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 2023 AFL RS, AFLPA Best First Year Player, 2023 SBM, NMFC Best Young Player - signed thru 2030

Remove this Banner Ad

So Xerri, Powell, Larkey, Ford, Comben, LDU, Dawson all have ****ed mentalities?
So Xerri, Powell, Larkey, Ford, Comben, LDU, Dawson all have ****ed mentalities?
I would definitely not go as far as TPA, but what is really interesting about this list is that investment and hunger (to my eyes) correlates closely with number of games played. Larkey being the obvious exception. Because everyone on your list is great, but other than Larkey they all have fifty or less games.

It's the people in that bracket with more games played (Zurhaar, Simpkin, Scott, LDU) that are being questioned on either form or mentality. Which supports the argument that playing a lot of games for north makes players play worse over stretches, either because of the culture rubbing off, or the trauma of endless losses, or the frustration of older teammates letting you down. As far as I can tell, a couple of years ago those four were beloved just like the ones on your list - so what happened, and whats to stop it from happening again? That is my key worry, and I think the one a lot of people have articulated.

Fwiw, I reckon Sheezel, Larkey, and coaching staff are the key players in turning it around. Kid is an absolute ******* gun.

Last edited:
They’re all professional losers.

None of them know how to win.
Larkey kicked 19 goals in the three wins we had last year, Ford had 19 disposals and 3 goals vs GC, Comben provided essential forward line pressure in the wins vs west coast and freo, The only match Dawson played in last year was a win and he was solid, Powell had 23 and 24 disposals vs GC and WC last year. LDU got 20 coaches votes in the wins vs freo and west coast.

All these players are in career best form bar Larkey and LDU. Larkey is still averaging 2 goals a game despite being double teamed every match, Xerri is also in career best form. LDU is below his usual standard but is playing in a midfield of teenagers, losing Thomas hasn't helped, but having a defensive mid like Phillips in will help his form. I was extremely frustrated after the loss to Brisbane so I understand being upset but on the bright our worst players are 25 or older, when our young players mature we will rise up the ladder and hopefully attract more senior talent.

Larkey kicked 19 goals in the three wins we had last year, Ford had 19 disposals and 3 goals vs GC, Comben provided essential forward line pressure in the wins vs west coast and freo, The only match Dawson played in last year was a win and he was solid, Powell had 23 and 24 disposals vs GC and WC last year. LDU got 20 coaches votes in the wins vs freo and west coast.

All these players are in career best form bar Larkey and LDU. Larkey is still averaging 2 goals a game despite being double teamed every match, Xerri is also in career best form. LDU is below his usual standard but is playing in a midfield of teenagers, losing Thomas hasn't helped, but having a defensive mid like Phillips in will help his form. I was extremely frustrated after the loss to Brisbane so I understand being upset but on the bright our worst players are 25 or older, when our young players mature we will rise up the ladder and hopefully attract more senior talent.
Xerri is a fools paradise. Stats wise he looks good, but his impact on the midfield is a net negative.

LDU is a gun, who needs the help of a rabid competitor. Powell is also good, but doesn’t have the ceiling to be elite.

Wardlaw has never played in a win.

People are getting by on hopes and dreams that it will turn when these guys mature.

There are absolutely no guarantees, and the 12 wins from the last 90 games are testament to this.

These are all true, but I'm curious how you would respond to my other post. Waiting for young guns to mature is a fools game without the senior leadership to nurture their growth.

I would definitely not go as far as TPA, but what is really interesting about this list is that investment and hunger (to my eyes) correlates closely with number of games played. Larkey being the obvious exception.

It's the people in that bracket with more games played (Zurhaar, Simpkin, Scott, LDU) that are being questioned on either form or mentality. Which supports the argument that playing a lot of games for north makes players play worse over stretches, either because of the culture rubbing off, or the trauma of endless losses, or the frustration of older teammates letting you down. That is my key worry, and I think the one a lot of people have articulated.

Fwiw, I reckon Sheezel, Larkey, and coaching staff are the key players in turning it around. Kind is an absolute ******* gun.
Definitely, I don't think Scott's poor form is because of mentality more that he's being played in the wrong position. Zurhaar's attitude has been really bad this year and LDU and Simpkin seem to be losing motivation, though I think it's great the playing group is pumped for Sunday. We can definitely beat Hawthorn and a win will bring confidence to the group

These are all true, but I'm curious how you would respond to my other post. Waiting for young guns to mature is a fools game without the senior leadership to nurture their growth.
Our senior leadership is one of our biggest problems, our older players are awful and provide practically no leadership on the ground with little communication. We really need to bring in a senior player from another club with good leadership, even it means we have to overpay them. Unfortunately, our recruits from other clubs have been awful, Shiels and Greenwood provide good leadership but are way too old. The others recruits are pretty much all awful, we are the physically weakest side in the comp and decided to bring in Stephens and Fisher. I think we should split our first pick into 2 top 10 picks and use one of them on an experienced A grader, then bring in some free agents. Jack Graham from Richmond is 26 and would give our midfield premiership experience

It is amazing how much of the future of this football club rests on this kids shoulders.
Couldn't be in better hands tbh.

Level headed, hurts when we lose, determined, works hard on his game away from the club...plus he's a gun.

Clearly he can't do it on his own, so here's hoping that he inspires his draft cohorts and the years of kids that come after him. Oh and make him captain at 20. All chips in.

No pressure young fella....

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

alright we know how important he is. But is he a long with Drury (the guy I have been s**t canning since his second game) the only two capable of delivering the ball inside 50?

Is it time to stop ******* around in the backline? It’s clear that even with him there were getting smashed

Level headed, hurts when we lose, determined, works hard on his game away from the club...plus he's a gun.

Clearly he can't do it on his own, so here's hoping that he inspires his draft cohorts and the years of kids that come after him. Oh and make him captain at 20. All chips in.

Can't remember how old Carey was, but it worked then.

Funnily enough, I reckon it's also the best thing for Jy and LMac - a bit of a second wind wouldn't go astray when the weight of responsibility gets lifted

Can't remember how old Carey was, but it worked then.

Funnily enough, I reckon it's also the best thing for Jy and LMac - a bit of a second wind wouldn't go astray when the weight of responsibility gets lifted
Duck was entering his 5th season.

I was a bit tongue in cheek about the captaincy. Not sure he needs that just yet. But he's certainly captain of the generation that's hopefully getting us out of this s**t.

Harry is all about being the force that changes the direction of a club.

THere are those who cut and run and were always in it for themselves and there are those who roll up their sleeves and say I will make this work. Been a long time since we had a hugely talented guy carry that sought of mindset.

Honestly, the line they said about jack fits him, out of the gloom comes Harry Sheezel.

Harry has, imho, already been given the keys to the club in everything but title.

To start next year, Larkey needs to be named (in a return to sole captaincy) Captain for a couple of years, where he can perform brilliantly in the media, lead the club as our big, deep voiced key forward during the week and on game days, do all those extra behind the scenes club commitments, kick plenty of timely Captain's goals, and hopefully earn a few more AA jackets. He has every intention and the capacity to put the club on his shoulders for a few years.

Harry would be a more than deserving VC if that's the way it is voted/appointed, but more importantly he needs to be protected, and allowed to focus on his footy as much as possible. We don't need him to be the best player at the club, we need him to be the best player in the league.

He can have the C patch if he wants it, after Larks has taken the heat and shrapnel that the next few rebuilding years have in store.

Duck was entering his 5th season.

I was a bit tongue in cheek about the captaincy. Not sure he needs that just yet. But he's certainly captain of the generation that's hopefully getting us out of this s**t.

Yep. Carey also had a group of talented young players entering their 4th and 5th years with him - which meant less need to play older players for the sake of it. Because of that, Pagan was prepared to overlook ageing guns like Larkin, German and Ross Smith.

Despite Clarkson being worse off, he can no longer continue to play the non-performing senior guys. It will kill the morale of the young guys, if it already hasn't.

Clarko needs to bite the bullet.

20240416_193717.jpg

Last edited:
How many game do you see us winning this year?
I’ve maintained anything less than six is a complete failure.

With how we’ve played, it would be a miracle to achieve that.

‘Hopefully’ doesn’t cut it for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back