Past #3: Jed Anderson - delisted end '22 - 89 NMFC games - go well Jed

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d argue Bonar is as if not more physical then Jed with the added benefit of having trained with the opposition for the last 2 years

He’s definitely got the bigger body

If you think Bonar is more physical than Anderson, then you have literally NFI. There is also a difference between being physical and having a physical impact on a game.
Bonar has no runs on the board as a physical, contested possession midfielder. I would much prefer we go with the player who has performed at a high level in those area’s.
I really hope Bonar comes on, but apart from some glimpses here and there, there is no evidence to suggest he is anywhere near the level Anderson is at.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I’d argue Bonar is as if not more physical then Jed with the added benefit of having trained with the opposition for the last 2 years

Jed is made of titanium tZ. It's not about size but the pain he brings. We have some of the most feared players in the comp, and he is probably one or two on the list. He's a man who hurts people. Bonar is a twenty year old kid.

Have you ever hit someone really hard? Hard enough that they still feel it weeks later? That's what he does. Players see him and balk at the contest.

When our side is tough enough that he can't get a game we will go thru seasons undefeated.

Jed is made of titanium tZ. It's not about size but the pain he brings. We have some of the most feared players in the comp, and he is probably one or two on the list. He's a man who hurts people. Bonar is a twenty year old kid.

Have you ever hit someone really hard? Hard enough that they still feel it weeks later? That's what he does. Players see him and balk at the contest.

When our side is tough enough that he can't get a game we will go thru seasons undefeated.
This reminds me of when Zurhaar put out Hurley's shoulder and when Cunnington fairly tore de Boer's arm off. Smiling now.

What do you base that on? Bonar has not played much senior football in his short career & his hardest hit, wouldn’t even make Jed’s top 20 hits...

Hey the Ziebull I nominate you to go find out who is the most physical. You need to take one tackle and one bump or shirtfront from Jedly and the Bonar Machine and report back on who hits harder.

Any seconders?
I think JMac might jump first in line.. I gotta feeling he’d hit the hardest out of all of them against Ziebull too.

Most inside midfielders in the AFL have a bigger body than Jed and pretty much all of them aren’t anywhere near as physical/harder..

Hitting them hard won’t work. We need to wear them down bit by bit and make it a defensive stoush.
Hopefully then we can grind out a result.
We went hard at them for a half last year in tassien and they came out and responded tenfold in the third quarter.

The Giants aren’t soft. They are slick, they have matured and it won’t be easy.

Yeah they’re far from soft. They bullied the Cats in round one and it’s important we show we’re up for the fight.

Jed et al set the tone on that front so I certainly hope he’s ready to rock n roll.

Yeah they’re far from soft. They bullied the Cats in round one and it’s important we show we’re up for the fight.

Jed et al set the tone on that front so I certainly hope he’s ready to rock n roll.

We also battered them last year when we gave Richmond & Collingwood the knuckle treatment, but they still won.

Physicality alone won't beat them.

We also battered them last year when we gave Richmond & Collingwood the knuckle treatment, but they still won.

This is true, but I think we should absolutely double down on the strategy. If you ever want to dominate someone you never give them a chance to recover.
we need them to hurt after this game for next time we play them and the time after..
The giants will be the benchmark for a long time and I want them to be fearful of us coming into a final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is true, but I think we should absolutely double down on the strategy. If you ever want to dominate someone you never give them a chance to recover.
we need them to hurt after this game for next time we play them and the time after..
The giants will be the benchmark for a long time and I want them to be fearful of us coming into a final.

Hey, I am not calling for us to pull up one iota, but we need strategies to get around DeBoer v Cunnington this time, which IMO was the sole difference in the result last time (along with some frightfully shitfull maggot calls).

They’re the full package and a great test for where we’re at in the grand scheme of things.

They’re the full package and a great test for where we’re at in the grand scheme of things.

Considering our injuries, I could walk away content with a loss up there inside 20 points. We can build from that.

Hey, I am not calling for us to pull up one iota, but we need strategies to get around DeBoer v Cunnington this time, which IMO was the sole difference in the result last time (along with some frightfully shitfull maggot calls).

Interesting viewpoint and something to think about.

Assuming we can replicate the 2nd half of 2019 physicality most weeks, this is a pretty good core strategy most of the time.

But as you say here you have, frankly, a team just as physical and more skilled - on paper.

Just as Richmond did in the GF hopefully we can use some run and pizzazz at the right time to surprise them rather than relying on dragging it into a bar fight.

From a tactical pov I'd like to see some forwards either go fully defensive minded on their interceptors or better yet keep presenting and moving to force them to be accountable.

I hope everyone goes apeshit on DeBoer, reading the old Winnie tread and how Archer and Co handled Worsfold, I’d love us to do the same with DeBoer.
Might be an interesting target that they’re not prepared for.

I'd be concerned with getting Jed straight back into games without a decent block of match sim training behind him. He is a bloke who has had repeated hamstring issues in the past and going from no matches to AFL in a week is a recipe for disaster. For context, when the German Bundesliga returned after shut down they experienced an increase in injuries as compared to prior to shutdown, from 0.27 to 0.88 per game. That is a significant jump in occurrence. I'd rather give Jed a few weeks of match sim at training than risk him breaking down again.

Just on the Bonar vs Jed thing, not sure where this whole size vs power thing got confused.

We traded Byron Pickett (wiry and circa 178cm) for Leigh Brown (solid as a bull and circa 195cm).

Who would you rather get hit by at training?!..
It came from a certain poster who gets distracted by youth and size and ignores ability.

I hope everyone goes apeshit on DeBoer, reading the old Winnie tread and how Archer and Co handled Worsfold, I’d love us to do the same with DeBoer.
Might be an interesting target that they’re not prepared for.

JZ starts on the half forward line and makes a cannonball run straight at him every time the ball is bounced.

If this was grand final day, that's what I would be doing.

Interesting viewpoint and something to think about.

Assuming we can replicate the 2nd half of 2019 physicality most weeks, this is a pretty good core strategy most of the time.

But as you say here you have, frankly, a team just as physical and more skilled - on paper.

Just as Richmond did in the GF hopefully we can use some run and pizzazz at the right time to surprise them rather than relying on dragging it into a bar fight.

From a tactical pov I'd like to see some forwards either go fully defensive minded on their interceptors or better yet keep presenting and moving to force them to be accountable.

The GWS were cooked on GF day. I wouldn't use that as any barometer.

I'd be concerned with getting Jed straight back into games without a decent block of match sim training behind him. He is a bloke who has had repeated hamstring issues in the past and going from no matches to AFL in a week is a recipe for disaster. For context, when the German Bundesliga returned after shut down they experienced an increase in injuries as compared to prior to shutdown, from 0.27 to 0.88 per game. That is a significant jump in occurrence. I'd rather give Jed a few weeks of match sim at training than risk him breaking down again.
Not even that more so the fact that he would be rusty compared to others

The GWS were cooked on GF day. I wouldn't use that as any barometer.

Absolutely, GF day was not the real GWS. They are the team to beat this year.

I went to the Hobart game last year and we weren't bad by any stretch, but their class came through in the 3rd quarter. Taranto was a big part of it, but Coniglio, Kelly and Greene were very good as well.

With Taranto out, I think we need to tag Coniglio and put a hard lockdown on Greene. And hit DeBoer every chance we get (so, I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said here).

I won't be backing us this week, but would expect us to win the following three at Marvel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back