Past #3: Ryan Bastinac - traded to Brisbane for picks 17, 26, 28 & 47 (NMFC loses 34, 38, 40 & 2016 R3)

Remove this Banner Ad

from reading trade winds and rumours we could potentially be trading:

Aaron Black
Ryan Bastinac
Brad Mckenzie
Daniel Currie

For some reason i still think Mckenzie can make it. Currie deal looks to be done and Black will find a new home. Bastinac probably has the most currency. If we trade all 4 for picks, is it really worth going in to a shallow draft with all these picks?

Everyone else is throwing picks away like confetti - can't see any reason why we'd stockpile. Only if we have our eye on a specific player or we need to free up cash should we move out players who still have value for us, especially I contracted.

Everyone else is throwing picks away like confetti - can't see any reason why we'd stockpile. Only if we have our eye on a specific player or we need to free up cash should we move out players who still have value for us, especially I contracted.

I would attempt to stockpile at least one more pick for next year. considering our age profile

Im sure Ryan wants to stay and club would prefer to keep him, but taking into account players we have of his type, im sure there is mutual respect between both parties that if a club comes knocking with a good deal, its going to benefit the club and Ryan.

Dont think there's much more to it than that IMO.

Discussed as in "I hope these a'holes trade me", or "Brisbane have made me an offer but I love this place too much" or somewhere in between?
I think Ryan would love to stay but is realistic that Brisbane would provide more opportunities - and the lure of a 5 year deal is very attractive (not silly money - but a 5 year guarantee), so if a deal can be reached, he would have no hesitation in accepting. Brisbane does sound very keen so be interesting to see what they can offer up for a contracted player.

Keep McKenzie. Dal is one injury away from retirement.
Why? So if Dal gets a rectum injury, they can graft McKenzie on, only for the graft to fail and thus conclusively prove that McKenzie isn't Dal's a***hole? Can't see any more compelling reason to keep McKenzie TBH. Has shown very little apart from the occasional "oooooh, so silky" foot disposal moment.

Last edited:
I think Ryan would love to stay but is realistic that Brisbane would provide more opportunities - and the lure of a 5 year deal is very attractive (not silly money - but a 5 year guarantee), so if a deal can be reached, he would have no hesitation in accepting. Brisbane does sound very keen so be interesting to see what they can offer up for a contracted player.
Bastinac + 15 = Aish.

Works for me.

Personally I think a Bastinac trade could be a genuine win / win / win for all 3 parties. Also think he could provide very good service in the right team setup.

Would you take it if you were brisbane?

Dependsd if Aish is going anyway and what you think you can snag at 15. But yeah, if they are keen enough to offer Ryan 5 years as mentioned then they clearly rate his skills in their setup.

Would you take it if you were brisbane?
Never said it was realistic, just attractive.

However, Brisbane 'could' decide to make a statement with Aish. Take this deal or off to Carlton you go.

They would lose out, true. But they would be telling the rest of their players that if you try and screw us, you will lose.

Why? So if Dal gets rectum injury, they can graft McKenzie on, only for the graft to fail and thus conclusively prove that McKenzie isn't Dal's a***hole? Can't see any more compelling reason to keep McKenzie TBH. Has shown very little apart from the occasional "oooooh, so silky" foot disposal moment.

^ Inb4 another year of "I reckon he's on the verge of playing some really good footy for us".

The selective application of player timelines is certainly one of this forum's more peculiar quirks.

(Oh, and lulz at the first bit.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^ Inb4 another year of "I reckon he's on the verge of playing some really good footy for us".

The selective application of player timelines is certainly one of this forum's more peculiar quirks.

McKenzie > Gibson or GTFO.

Might be off to GWS as part of the Shiel deal I hear.

McKenzie? :p

Don't believe the rumor on Shiel, but thought if Basti would go anywhere would be GWS being good mates with Scully at the Rays.

I reckon he's on the verge of playing some really good footy for us.

Honestly he's not a million miles from where Jacobs was this time last year.

1. Demonstrated that he's committed to doing what it takes to be an AFL player (in BJ's case putting his hand up to play HBF, BMac's rounding out his game with more inside/contested stuff).
2. Despite (1) not quite entirely convincing despite a few good showings at senior level (1 from 1 in BMac's case).
3. Shown he has pretty much nothing left to prove at VFL level given his sustained couple of months of good form.
4. Same age.

Seriously think he was denied more opportunity by that 7-game winning streak.

1. Demonstrated that he's committed to doing what it takes to be an AFL player (in BJ's case putting his hand up to play HBF, BMac's rounding out his game with more inside/contested stuff).
2. Despite (1) not quite entirely convincing despite a few good showings at senior level (1 from 1 in BMac's case).
3. Shown he has pretty much nothing left to prove at VFL level given his sustained couple of months of good form.
4. Same age.

Really glad we're giving him another year. No indications that he isn't trying his hardest to break into the side and easily the best kick at the club imo.

That's a big call. B Harvey is one of the greatest kicks in the history of the game imo.
Yeah obviously had Harvey in my mind when making that call. Harvey is amazing on the run and over short distances, nothing short of elite. Long kicking very good and obviously can still put them in through 50. Think McKenzie would have him covered accuracy over distance though, he can truly guide the ball. His decision making and ability to make space is miles off Harvey so McKenzie is only really better in a vacuum but he's a special talent.

#3 Ryan Bastinac

BASTINAC%20Ryan.png

Games: 17
Goals: 8

In his sixth season on North Melbourne's list, midfielder Ryan Bastinac experienced a frustrating season. The endurance runner was selected in the club's opening game against the Adelaide Crows, however he was one of three players dropped following the side's meek first-up effort. It was the first time in Bastinac's career that he missed a game through omission, and his first game missed since 2011.

He earned a recall in Round 3 against Port Adelaide, playing nine consecutive senior games before being sent back to the VFL. Bastinac starred for North Ballarat, clearly showing he was a cut above the lower level.

After North's disappointing loss to the Gold Coast Suns in Round 14, Bastinac was included in the Kangaroos's team against Geelong. In one of his better games of the year, Bastinac collected 27 possessions, won four clearances and had five inside-50's. The following week against Essendon, he was influential with two majors, before starring against Brisbane with 22 touches and a goal.

However, Bastinac's three-week burst came to end, struggling against the lowly Carlton in Round 18. Once again, he went to the VFL, amassing 44 disposals, taking 10 marks, winning seven clearances and kicking a goal against Collingwood. He came back to the senior side in Round 21 against Fremantle, starting as the sub. In an impressive win, Bastinac managed to have an impact in the final quarter.

Despite featuring in the final two games of the home and away season, Bastinac was dropped for North's Elimination Final against Richmond, and was unable to break back into the senior side. With 121 games to his name, Bastinac is a young midfielder with plenty of experience, and has attracted some interest during the trade period. If he remains a Roo, Bastinac must show more urgency in 2016, and must develop a harder edge.

Ryan Bastinac is confident playing and training in different positions will hold him in good stead to become a more versatile player.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2015-03-13/bastinac-to-spread-wings

Jack Ziebell is tipping midfield counterpart Ryan Bastinac to have a big impact this year.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2015-03-17/training-his-butt-off

When Ryan Bastinac was sent back to the VFL after being dropped from the North Melbourne side, he knew he had to play himself back into form quickly, in order to be any chance of a recall in the second half of the year.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2015-06-22/bastinacs-inside-job

364513-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

373228-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

378616-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

400585-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

Will never be a factor while his best assets are unable to be exploited. ie: his hands, his ability to read the ball off the palm and his decision making in traffic. Trying him as an outside link has been a failure. I'm not sure where the club see him fitting in our future plans.

4. Same age.

Good post, Rob.

And to be honest, my post was more around the inconsistencies and disparities in the length of time afforded to different players to achieve x, y or z, sometimes seemingly based on nothing more than personal whim.

But it's also fair to say I'm not any card-carrying member of the BMac fanclub. (And it feels weird for me to say that, as my energies are usually directed towards talking up the players on our list.) But I just don't see "it" with BMac. His elite kicking is well-documented, but the rest of his game seems to fall away from there. Still not sure where he fits into our side. Granted, there's a lack of exposure at play, but he just appears to be so tentative at AFL level. Would love to see him take a page from Kanye's book and really attack the contest like a man possessed. (And maybe find a yard while he's at it.)

But of course....*straightens tie*.....he's a North player until he's not, so I wish him all the best and hope he makes me look stupider than I already am.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back