Player Watch #3 Taylor Adams

Remove this Banner Ad

adams1.jpg

Player Profile:

Drafted by GWS with Pick 13 in the 2011 National Draft, Taylor Adams made his AFL debut in Round 5 of the 2012 season. After 31 games with the Giants the midfielder moved to Collingwood where he went on to play 10 seasons and five finals campaign for the Magpies. He joins the Sydney Swans with a wealth of experience including a Grand Final appearance in 2018. In 2020 he was named the club’s Best and Fairest and selected in the All-Australian team.

DOB: 20 Sep 1993
Draft: 2011
RECRUITED FROM: Collingwood

Last edited:
Adams was good in the 3rd and he stops a lot of opportunities for the opposition,

He needs to get more of it absolutely, but he isn't going out for a kid

He does a lot of non possie work

he gets negativity quicker because he isnt a lifelong Swan so his best games haven't been here.

But he contributed to stopping their run
Yeah, when a lot of the packs get broken up, a lot of the time Adams is one of the ones on the bottom. I don't want to get into 'You gotta look at all the things he's NOT doing!!!' territory with him, but he's constantly scrapping in packs and splitting the result a lot of the time.

Yeah, when a lot of the packs get broken up, a lot of the time Adams is one of the ones on the bottom. I don't want to get into 'You gotta look at all the things he's NOT doing!!!' territory with him, but he's constantly scrapping in packs and splitting the result a lot of the time.

Thats the way I see it.

Sure id like to see an Adams was Sydneys best game, but people seem keen to discard him, not a blood yet I guess

I've felt like he doesn't really have a clearly defined role that's integral to the game plan beyond just floating around as an extra number and using his hardness, strength etc to just win or halve contests. I think because of this he's never going to be prolific with us, and so the line for him between "doing his job" and "not doing enough" will probably always depend on how the team is performing.

A game like last night, where we just struggled to get much ascendency and generally couldn't get much of a flow in our game, we probably did need more than what Adams has been doing. But that's why you don't judge guys on one game but rather the bigger picture, and in the bigger picture he's been good for us IMO.

I've felt like he doesn't really have a clearly defined role that's integral to the game plan beyond just floating around as an extra number and using his hardness, strength etc to just win or halve contests. I think because of this he's never going to be prolific with us, and so the line for him between "doing his job" and "not doing enough" will probably always depend on how the team is performing.

A game like last night, where we just struggled to get much ascendency and generally couldn't get much of a flow in our game, we probably did need more than what Adams has been doing. But that's why you don't judge guys on one game but rather the bigger picture, and in the bigger picture he's been good for us IMO.
I have only limited recollection of historical games against Collingwood - but I do recall greatly admiring Taylor Adams the forward. He seemed to kick a lot of clutch goals from tough angles, applied a heap of pressure & was always a threat.

I have far less recollection of Taylor Adams the inside mid. And thus far in his tenure with the Swans, I'm still yet to be convinced that his most dangerous position isn't in the forward line.

I have only limited recollection of historical games against Collingwood - but I do recall greatly admiring Taylor Adams the forward. He seemed to kick a lot of clutch goals from tough angles, applied a heap of pressure & was always a threat.

I have far less recollection of Taylor Adams the inside mid. And thus far in his tenure with the Swans, I'm still yet to be convinced that his most dangerous position isn't in the forward line.
I'm pretty sure he has mostly been in the forward line. But he's also pushing up to be an extra number at stoppages, and also getting drip-fed centre bounces. It's a very different forward line to Collingwood's though, so I think he's just not standing out that much. As long as he's playing his role I think he's fine. He wasn't very good last night, but he had plenty of company there.

Not setting the world on fire, but his ability to hunt the ball and get to the bottom of the pack seems superior to what Parker can do imo and that is what was keeping him in ahead of Parker. That's what we needed and and why we've added him in the off season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A fair number of our best players started life at other clubs. He could play 100 games with us. Or not. Only time will tell. Happy to have him.

Yes but he is yet to have the wow we have Taylor Adams game yet

He is apparently my boy and yeah he was bloody good tonight, not quite the 25 touches, but he did some nice things with it and off the ball

5 score involvements, a bloody good game, and works well with Grundy

He was very good today. In everything, found the free teammate, cracked in hard. He looked fitter and stronger than he did earlier in the year.

And I concur with the above comments - he & Grundy do seem to have the connection that we hoped they'd have. Probably makes the recruitment of them even better. It's great that they're both doing exactly what we brought them to the club to do, but the fact they're adding a new dynamic to our side with their combination is even better.

I said earlier in the season I felt Adams wasn't worth his spot in the team. I'm glad I was wrong.

When the game was on the line Adams was throwing himself into every contest and played a big part in us getting through.

Might not win every ball but ensure the opposition doesn't either
Yep said it last game. Even if he doesn't win it his effort always stifles the opposition from winning it. Also seems to have taken into the gameplan well. He's getting himself loose across the middle and getting involved in alot of our chains. He's hitting most of his targets too unlike what pies supporters have been saying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back