Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg. intercept marks per game

Remove this Banner Ad

I went to VFL games swapping ends each quarter to watch him play forward, and I'm convinced he could become the Drew Petrie replacement we've been needing since the end of 2016. Playing in defence this year for Chom is the equivalent of Drew's 2006. We needed Drew in defence that year, he acquitted himself brilliantly, but we needed him to go forward the following year, and he was even better. I remember thinking it was such a shame to move Drew out of defence where he was destined to become All Australian at some stage. I feel the same way about Chom. But if he can be even half as good as Drew as a forward-ruck, then bring on 2025.

Once Logue, Dawsons x 2, Hardeman are holding the fort down there and we pray to god Biggy turns into Alir / Andrew / Aleer we can get him forward. 👍

I went to VFL games swapping ends each quarter to watch him play forward, and I'm convinced he could become the Drew Petrie replacement we've been needing since the end of 2016. Playing in defence this year for Chom is the equivalent of Drew's 2006. We needed Drew in defence that year, he acquitted himself brilliantly, but we needed him to go forward the following year, and he was even better. I remember thinking it was such a shame to move Drew out of defence where he was destined to become All Australian at some stage. I feel the same way about Chom. But if he can be even half as good as Drew as a forward-ruck, then bring on 2025.
I definitely agree, I think he should stay in defence for the rest of the year and then they should reevaluate over pre-season. It would excellent if we could bring in a young KPD like Jedd Busslinger or Leek Aleer to replace him in defence or maybe Wil Dawson will be ready to take his role?

Drew needed the run in defence. He was struggling big time up forward at that point.

I watch that Comben highlihgts package vs the Swans (VFL 2022) posted by GoRoos2023 and it might just be the man crush speaking but his last 18months of strength and conditioning is definately perceptible.

Hopefully we see similar gains by the new kids in the next few years.

Nah let's insist he plays forward it's why we drafted him! Good on you Charlie so happy he's having some success. I see why many want him forward again he's an elite mark and applies great defensive pressure when he hasn't got the footy. His injury history is catastrophic and maybe this is the 'safest' and best spot for him and the team. We all know we are crying out for a decent chf to help Larkey but Comben, Logue and K Dawson/Corr supported by Archer, Goater is a pretty decent back six and we could start to look a lot better in the defensive half. Maybe if Wil Dawson comes on as we hope we could take the risk with Comben as a forward, but the kids manic attack on the ball is one of his strengths but it has come at great cost to Charlie and the team. A big risk in my opinion for what it is worth. Look at Collingwood, have kept Darcy Moore down back whilst winning a flag with a hybrid forward set up.

He's a different player when he has someone trying to stop him, as a forward. When he's allowed to just read the play he marks everything that gets anywhere near him. He'd be up there with anyone in the comp in that regard.

If he could figure out that mental side then he could be a dominant forward. But, as a back, he is a dominant force, already.

Either way I’m just glad Charlie’s out there, playing footy and on his way to reaching that potential we all knew that he had.

It gives us a lot of flexibility. If he stays as a defender he will go on to be one of the competition’s best.

Ideally from a team point of view, he can move forward again along with Larkey to become that much needed contested mark we’ve been crying out for. The only thing stopping him from becoming a good key forward is his confidence. I’d continue to let that build in defence, let him have a big offseason in the gym and then reassess from there.

If Logue is fit and Dawson comes on a bit more then it would make sense for Charlie to go forward.

Draft a young developing tall forward for our VFL and our list will look a lot more balanced in terms of that gaping hole at CHF.

There is a serious player in Chom.

I fear for his shoulder.

There was a game in 2009 where the commentary team were calling Petrie "the pivotal one" Chom is gonna be a similar swingman style player.

Heart as big as Phar Lap this bloke.

Contracted through the end of 25, if he gets through this year even carrying the shoulder issue I reckon we put another couple in front of him.

There is a serious player in Chom.

I fear for his shoulder.

There was a game in 2009 where the commentary team were calling Petrie "the pivotal one" Chom is gonna be a similar swingman style player.

Heart as big as Phar Lap this bloke.

Contracted through the end of 25, if he gets through this year even carrying the shoulder issue I reckon we put another couple in front of him.
Yeah l noticed a few games back that when he lands on that shoulder it's as if he's dislocated or torn a muscle.

Yeah l noticed a few games back that when he lands on that shoulder it's as if he's dislocated or torn a muscle.

I'm guessing it might be a torn cartilage. It would explain the pain and the dead arm he keeps getting when raising his arms above his head in a contest. Any movement below shoulder height doesn't look to be a problem. I've got the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone in here of the belief that when Dawson and Griff are back in action, we might send Chom in to fix that shoulder early and have him firing straight up in the pre season?
We’ll be sending him forward to trial that for the rest of the year I reckon

Anyone in here of the belief that when Dawson and Griff are back in action, we might send Chom in to fix that shoulder early and have him firing straight up in the pre season?
Shoulder is clearly unstable. He’ll need a reco and I reckon they’ll pull him out early so he can do as much of the pre season as possible. Still, if he gets through 3/4s of the season that’s a massive win for him when you consider his injury woes.

Either way I’m just glad Charlie’s out there, playing footy and on his way to reaching that potential we all knew that he had.

It gives us a lot of flexibility. If he stays as a defender he will go on to be one of the competition’s best.

Ideally from a team point of view, he can move forward again along with Larkey to become that much needed contested mark we’ve been crying out for. The only thing stopping him from becoming a good key forward is his confidence. I’d continue to let that build in defence, let him have a big offseason in the gym and then reassess from there.

If Logue is fit and Dawson comes on a bit more then it would make sense for Charlie to go forward.

Draft a young developing tall forward for our VFL and our list will look a lot more balanced in terms of that gaping hole at CHF.

the blueprint of our backline is coming together fairly well.

He doesn't show a lot of craft forward or back. He just plays on instinct. With a little more continuity he can add smarts to his game. His "success" in defence is due to opposition teams giving us so many opportunities and us playing him a lot on smaller players. The Bombers made use of Guelphi against him but most other teams just don't care about combatting our defence because they don't need to. He has it easy right now.

If we can take anything out of this year it's Comben and X
I reckon we keep him down back.
Currently we have holes at both ends of the ground. And in the backline at least we have Logue coming back and young Will Dawson developing who has the right size and tools to hopefully make it. Plust we have Kal Dawson who is now back from injury and was showing promise before his injury. While up forward we have absolutely nobody to help Larkey and provide ruck relief. So while I get it that this move was a good one to give Charlie some much needed continuity at the level and plug a hole down back, long term I think we may have no choice but move him to the forward line

Remove this Banner Ad

Back