Player Watch #30: Reece Conca

Remove this Banner Ad

Higgins was always going to wane towards the end of the season. No one really expected him to play as many games as he has in his first season.

He is starting to look tired, maybe the bye week freshens him up assuming that the MC feel he is part of our best 22 with others returning to the lineup. Some tough team selections coming up barring any further injuries.

I’d change it up, I’d keep Garthwaite in- can use him everywhere, I’d keep in Lloyd( physical, can kick and use the ball well and is versatile) and Higgins(same except his set shots are bad) shuffle the team a little because a rolling stone gathers no moss!!

it’s gonna be interesting with all these players on the verge of putting their hand up.
Out is George (I’m in the camp that think he is a one trick pony, baker who is not ready yet, and who ever is not fit to play.

Castagna got a cork which didn't help him. His chase on Saad was sensational in the (3rd?) quarter. He never pulls big possessions but his pressure acts are what keep him in the team. Can't miss him and Butler in my opinion. He chases tackles and competes. He gets to the right spots.... he just does some mind-boggling things at times.

He can certainly get into the right spots at times but to me that’s pointless, l believe we need to find someone who can do that and Play football. I’m so convinced if this that if we put Garthwaite up forward he would do more than George and he can play a defensive roll if required. This is my last post on George because I’ve said what I said and l hope for our sake I’m wrong.

Liked Conca game. Not superb, but got possessions, tackled, intercept marks. Good stuff. Interesting to see if he stays. Certainly helps the balance of the midfield. But Cotch, Prestia etc back in :think:

It looks like it might come down to a choice between those two, and I would go the same way. I suspect the match committee would too.

To get our best 22:
In: Cotchin, Prestia, Lambert, Astbury, Butler
Out: Garthwaite, Baker, Lloyd and I reckon Higgins and Ellis at this point.

We are currently playing 8 defenders where normally we play 7. Rance, Astbury, Grimes, Broad, Vlastuin, Houli, Short, Ellis. One is likely to miss.

We are also playing one less forward (Townsend) for an extra midfielder.

The VFL has a final during the AFL bye week. Hopefully Buts is right for that. He's important.
would Butler be eligible to play in a VFL final?

I would keep him in if he continues to keep his clanger rate low. No doubt this is because he's out of the backline. As a mid, does ok. Last night, 21 possies and 5 tackles. And after a fair spell on the sidelines. Graham, 15 possies and 6 tackles. Love his other pressure acts though (diving smothers etc). Conca should hold his spot, but there is a fight for spots coming for mid roles. Could he do a wing role when Prestia, Cotch and Lambert take those mid minutes from him? Lambert struggled imo when he came out of the mids.

Wouldn't mind him taking the role of Baker as that forward/mid rotation. Pressures well which our forward line is based on, has poise. Showed signs early on in his career as a half forward.

Butler is best 22 if fit. If we are trying to win a premiership then we should throw him in the first final because we will want him firing by GF day. Slight risk for the first final but worth it imo considering how well we're going.
I reckon he could be done as far as senior footy this season goes.
If he’s not in next week then I’d say that’s about him done.

Higgins was always going to wane towards the end of the season. No one really expected him to play as many games as he has in his first season.

He is starting to look tired, maybe the bye week freshens him up assuming that the MC feel he is part of our best 22 with others returning to the lineup. Some tough team selections coming up barring any further injuries.

Has played more midfield time than most expected. Think he is tiring. One of the knocks on him was his running power and endurance. Think it is taking a toll.

Has played more midfield time than most expected. Think he is tiring. One of the knocks on him was his running power and endurance. Think it is taking a toll.

Not sure what you're talking about, his biggest strength is probably his running power and endurance, and it's what lets him play as a mid.

if everyone is fit:

broad astbury rance grimes
houli vlastuin short

nank prestia cotch
martin grigg

edwards riewoldt rioli
butler caddy castagna

lambert graham

two bench spots to split between ellis, macca, conca, higgo, lloyd

brutal
Good work P2B with the 20 listed. Except you have four blokes across the FB line and two on the CL, but I see your point.

Last edited:
Conca stays in for finals, it would be a massive boost for the team as they love having him around.
Cmon Rancey that’s utter bs as the boys all love each other to be around.
We don’t pick teams on dick feeling and fuzzy warm s**t anymore as that went out 2016. We pick the best 22 available to get the job done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d change it up, I’d keep Garthwaite in- can use him everywhere, I’d keep in Lloyd( physical, can kick and use the ball well and is versatile) and Higgins(same except his set shots are bad) shuffle the team a little because a rolling stone gathers no moss!!

it’s gonna be interesting with all these players on the verge of putting their hand up.
Out is George (I’m in the camp that think he is a one trick pony, baker who is not ready yet, and who ever is not fit to play.
George does a crazy amount of chasing which is still our no.1 method that upsets other teams. Without Butler, no way they will drop George... I think.

Conca is best 22, some hard calls will be made and I think Higgins will miss out but as long as he’s body allows it he plays.
Our midfield is much better with him in the side helping with the grunt work, Cotchin is much better as a result.

He can certainly get into the right spots at times but to me that’s pointless, l believe we need to find someone who can do that and Play football. I’m so convinced if this that if we put Garthwaite up forward he would do more than George and he can play a defensive roll if required. This is my last post on George because I’ve said what I said and l hope for our sake I’m wrong.

Putting aside your opinion on George, I don't think its the time to be trialing players out of position though, especially guy with 2 AFL games under his belt.

Richmond should run a year-round competition of Conca & Prestia going head to head in mini-duels.

It would be titled, battle of the picks 6's.

Only problem is that's an Audi against a Bentley. I'll let you guess which is which.

But I'd take the shorter one every day. And I love
ff723ce1199e1b086aee0df665e223a5.jpg

Conca's strength is that he does a whole lot of things quite well. Nothing really elite, but he gets the ball inside, provides pressure, 1%s, decent outside, intercept marking, hard runner, tackles, and overall frees up Cotch etc.

So he's first 22 IMHO. Whoever makes way for him is unlucky - so very unlucky as no one is doing badly. But MHO is sometimes wrong, could be Reece's 23rd man :shrug:

Conca's strength is that he does a whole lot of things quite well. Nothing really elite, but he gets the ball inside, provides pressure, 1%s, decent outside, intercept marking, hard runner, tackles, and overall frees up Cotch etc.

So he's first 22 IMHO. Whoever makes way for him is unlucky - so very unlucky as no one is doing badly. But MHO is sometimes wrong, could be Reece's 23rd man :shrug:

Yep. You will often see him run and carry and next thing find him under a pack. Hope he holds his place because firstly and most importantly his footy is deserving but it is also a great lesson for others on persistence and determination.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back