Player Watch #30 Tom McCartin

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom McCartin.jpg
Tom McCartin

Player Profile

In an indication of Tom McCartin’s rapid rise, the young Sydney Swans forward had played 34 AFL games by the end of his teenage years – and that was despite being the youngest player in the league in his debut 2018 season. The Geelong Falcons product has a brilliant marking ability and presents a tall target inside 50, although coach John Longmire has also used him as a key defender. McCartin is the younger brother of number one 2014 AFL Draft pick Paddy, who played 35 AFL games with St Kilda.

Tom McCartin

DOB: 30 December 1999
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: St Joseph's (Vic)/St Joseph's, Geel (Vic)/Geel Gram (Vic)/Geel U18

Last edited by a moderator:
This is our most important player and I tend to think it’s by a fair margin. For example, I think we can lose Gulden and we’d be absolutely a worse side but our unique weapons in Chad and Blakey would be able to take up some of the slack in terms of their run, overlap, and kicking skills around the ground. Heeney would get more time and our other wings also would get more opportunities. Losing Gulden would be a true nightmare but I think losing McCartin would absolutely ruin us to an even greater degree. He’s so damn consistently good and we’d have to replace him with Francis or Hamling. They’re both solid AFL players but probably nothing more.

I really hope McCartin makes an AA team or wins a Stilton soon, he deserves it.

Agree although this year it might be Grundy as our most crucial player.

Feels destined for the Heath Grundy AA club

But he is Elite

Feels destined for the Heath Grundy AA club

But he is Elite

A lot of good defenders at the moment- Sam Taylor from GWS should have multiple AA’s already

I like Mills as sole skipper but if they ever did go back to 3 or are looking for a leader this guy is up there imo.

He is elite in his defensive work and also ability to set up play and organise the defence.

I just like the way he goes about it on field , is criminally underrated in the comp

I like Mills as sole skipper but if they ever did go back to 3 or are looking for a leader this guy is up there imo.

He is elite in his defensive work and also ability to set up play and organise the defence.

I just like the way he goes about it on field , is criminally underrated in the comp

He was magnificent last night. His base game is just being outstanding.

Watch the Gnats weasel their way out of this one. At worst Brown will get three weeks which will be dismissed by the tribunal

Mr Brown. Please use these stills to provide your own version of events

In this first still, it's clear I never meant to hurt him. My clenched fist is evidence of a determined intent to spoil the ball.

Heads, balls, the Earth a gear knob. Round things are all so similar in shape that it's a mistake anyone could make.

Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 17.45.33.jpg

Not convinced? In this next still you can see Mr McCartin trying to face butt me. I attempt to cushion the impact with the only thing at hand, my fist.

Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 17.47.05.jpg

Not buying that? In this still McCartin can be seen lunging at me, slamming his outstretched face into my shoulder

Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 17.46.37.jpg

In this still I can be seeing trying to jump two metres to avoid him. I fail to gain the necessary altitude to soar harmlessly over the top of him and Mr McCartin's puffed out cheeks make contact inevitable

Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 17.46.11.jpg
Here I can be seen barely touching him. But look closer, look at the face he's pulling. He's taunting me, despite everything I've done to save him from himself. See how he trips me, causing me to topple over. Just ask Jesse. I deserved a free kick. It's a travesty I tell you. A travesty.

The shame I can't live down is the way McCartin eyes off my butthole. I start to fly in an attempt to get away and he tries to pull my shorts down. It's clear this was his goal all along, an attempted sexual assault. He's not the first to have a man-crush on me. His clearly got the better of him due to a lack of moral fibre. I'm the one who's been violated but you treat me as the offender. Shame on all of you.

Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 17.48.18.jpg

If this true? If so, it's scandalous, scandalous I say. Tell me, more about your characted Mr Brown

Your honour. I can assure you I am a man of exemplary character. Before she passed (God bless) a recently deceased Aunt reminded me of my good character. She remembered how as a child I was awarded the boy scout medal of persistence, for helping a record 42 old ladies across the road during peak hour. She said they fought and beat me terribly with handbags, yelling such obscenities as "Get out of our church", "Watch out for that truck", "You fool, you'll get us both killed" and 'Let go of my hair" but I was not easily discouraged. I dutifully sacrificed an hour of my time (and the lives of 27 elderly citizens) to bring honour to my scout group.

Do you have any living character witnesses?

As it turns out sir, there is one. An anonymous surprise witness.

You are Miss Anne Onymous?

"Hello, yes I am. Before I was a woman I was Mr Brown's scout master and I can vouch that every word is true. Mr Brown is a terrific chap, um....so there. Dib dibs. Where's the money I was promised?"

Well you certainly sound like a scout master. Your ample bust, thick moustache, hairy sideburns and husky voice remind me of my own mother, rest his soul. And so I deem you to be a reliable witness.

"Yes I am sir, but I really must get this dress back to my husband before she sobers up"

I will sum up by saying it's clear Mr Brown is an innocent pawn in a conspiracy with its roots in the Swans/Buddy saga. I find no charge to answer. Case dismissed. Be good sports and shake hands.

Mr McCartin. If you don't mind staying behind. I find you have a case to answer.

You are charged with bringing our wonderful game into disrepute, to wit, pulling faces, tripping an opponents and causing bruising to your opponents shoulder. Have you anything to say in your defence?

"Mannmsglumheyinglyshwow"

Did you just call me a pr&ck?

I beg your pardon your honour. Mr McCartin is unable to speak properly as his jaw is wired together.

That's hardly an excuse for foul language. If you have nothing else to say in your defence I am bound by the Swans clause of the AFL by-laws to suspend your entire team for the next twelve weeks.

What's the matter. Bump got your tongue? Not so chatty and smug now eh? ; )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a waste of your talent RubbaDuck . Brown deserves a suspension but I saw no malice, just outdated technique in a hot game. In fact I was really impressed by him as a player all round. The Giants have found one with him.

I'm devastated for McCartin. A concussion is the last thing he or his family need. Fervent wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

i don't think brown is in any way a rat or a thug, but he made a bad decision and he'll go for 3-4 weeks
he's a really good player and i think that judgment error affected him for the rest of the game ... he's an impact player and he had minimal impact yesterday

i don't think brown is in any way a rat or a thug, but he made a bad decision and he'll go for 3-4 weeks
he's a really good player and i think that judgment error affected him for the rest of the game ... he's an impact player and he had minimal impact yesterday

Agreed. I don't think he did it with any malace but it is the sort of thing that needs to be stamped out of the game.

He looked very remorseful, far more so than Wright after his hit on Harry.

This is a waste of your talent RubbaDuck . Brown deserves a suspension but I saw no malice, just outdated technique in a hot game. In fact I was really impressed by him as a player all round. The Giants have found one with him.

I'm devastated for McCartin. A concussion is the last thing he or his family need. Fervent wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.
What small talent I have was not wasted on directing malice at Brown per se. I presented a parody of the AFL tribunal, mocking the increasingly bewildering and perpetually inconsistent verdicts which are delivered each week. In particular, I took aim at recent decisions where certain players were permitted to use good character as a defence while others were not.

I agree Brown is a good player but I can't be impressed with a player with such flippant disregard for the safety of another. I don't believe he acted with malice but he is far from blameless. His actions have seriously injured another player. Brown chose to bump. He knew the head is sancrosanct. He bumped knowing that such an action could lead to concussion and even the premature end of a player's career.

Brown appeared remorseful, much as a car driver would be after a lapse in concentration that led to him knocking over and badly injuring a pedestrian. Brown's carelessness put McCartin's future health in jeopardy. There is no excuse for Brown's actions. In a year where two players have already been forced into retirement due to concussion, it's a bad look for the AFL to go soft, especially given McCartin's record and the forced retirement of his brother last year.

I'm not happy that Brown got away with just three weeks. There's no guarantee his victim will get back to playing in three weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back