Player Watch #30 Tom McCartin

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom McCartin.jpg
Tom McCartin

Player Profile

In an indication of Tom McCartin’s rapid rise, the young Sydney Swans forward had played 34 AFL games by the end of his teenage years – and that was despite being the youngest player in the league in his debut 2018 season. The Geelong Falcons product has a brilliant marking ability and presents a tall target inside 50, although coach John Longmire has also used him as a key defender. McCartin is the younger brother of number one 2014 AFL Draft pick Paddy, who played 35 AFL games with St Kilda.

Tom McCartin

DOB: 30 December 1999
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: St Joseph's (Vic)/St Joseph's, Geel (Vic)/Geel Gram (Vic)/Geel U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Even Horse said he's okay , it's just taking the safe side which i suppose is the right way as a fair bit of 2024 to got
Horse said he is "ok" and coming along pretty well but is out. That's a fair bit different to him being fine.

Even Horse said he's okay , it's just taking the safe side which i suppose is the right way as a fair bit of 2024 to go
Maybe i'm looking at it too simplistically but if he's fine then I don't see the benefit of waiting longer. Would a head knock this weekend cause a more severe outcome than lets say one that occurs next weekend, despite him feeling fine either way?

Just being conservative
I mean you could be conservative with someone coming off an ACL and make them wait 24 months instead of 12. But if they're fine then they're fine. If there's anything scientific leaning towards a conservative approach to concussions, then the standard lay off should be 2 weeks not 1.

I mean you could be conservative with someone coming off an ACL and make them wait 24 months instead of 12. But if they're fine then they're fine. If there's anything scientific leaning towards a conservative approach to concussions, then the standard lay off should be 2 weeks not 1.
Just listened to Horse and he said he's fine

It is at all levels other than the AFL. Apparently science works differently in those lower leagues.

Tom probably feels fine and is showing no signs of harm. But the science has advanced and we have learned that it pays to be very careful when it comes to our brains. (Who would have thunk it?) Plus Tom has a concussion history, and, especially in recent times multiple concussions have become career ending injuries (including in the case of Tommy's brother), and the club needs to be able to look everyone, including the McCartin family, in the eye and say we did all we could to mitigate the risks as much as possible. Prudent decision.

Tom probably feels fine and is showing no signs of harm. But the science has advanced and we have learned that it pays to be very careful when it comes to our brains. (Who would have thunk it?) Plus Tom has a concussion history, and, especially in recent times multiple concussions have become career ending injuries (including in the case of Tommy's brother), and the club needs to be able to look everyone, including the McCartin family, in the eye and say we did all we could to mitigate the risks as much as possible. Prudent decision.
Horse talking about it now and your right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What small talent I have was not wasted on directing malice at Brown per se. I presented a parody of the AFL tribunal, mocking the increasingly bewildering and perpetually inconsistent verdicts which are delivered each week. In particular, I took aim at recent decisions where certain players were permitted to use good character as a defence while others were not.

I agree Brown is a good player but I can't be impressed with a player with such flippant disregard for the safety of another. I don't believe he acted with malice but he is far from blameless. His actions have seriously injured another player. Brown chose to bump. He knew the head is sancrosanct. He bumped knowing that such an action could lead to concussion and even the premature end of a player's career.

Brown appeared remorseful, much as a car driver would be after a lapse in concentration that led to him knocking over and badly injuring a pedestrian. Brown's carelessness put McCartin's future health in jeopardy. There is no excuse for Brown's actions. In a year where two players have already been forced into retirement due to concussion, it's a bad look for the AFL to go soft, especially given McCartin's record and the forced retirement of his brother last year.

I'm not happy that Brown got away with just three weeks. There's no guarantee his victim will get back to playing in three weeks.
This is all true, but can you imagine the storm from his coach, teammates and supporters if he pulled back? He couldn't win.

Maybe i'm looking at it too simplistically but if he's fine then I don't see the benefit of waiting longer. Would a head knock this weekend cause a more severe outcome than lets say one that occurs next weekend, despite him feeling fine either way?
Delayed onset of symptoms are more likely which can come days or weeks after the initial Injury.

I still find it strange he is missing despite being fine. Head knocks arnt like strains, there's no real risk of re injuring like a strain if it's not 100%. Your either good or your not. It's not like a player is fully concussed one week and slightly the next.

I still find it strange he is missing despite being fine. Head knocks arnt like strains, there's no real risk of re injuring like a strain if it's not 100%. Your either good or your not. It's not like a player is fully concussed one week and slightly the next.

It's been explained multiple times, why are you still finding it strange?

And this in particular shows your lack of understanding around head injuries.

It wasn't on the top part of his head

Delayed symtoms, the 11 days re sets basically as soon as that occurs. I'm proud the club is taking a conservative approach

Not trying to be all doom and gloom, but the independent medical panel may yet take the decision out of Tom and the club's hands

Yeah I wouldn't be shocked. It'll be a huge shame up there with AJ's ACL issues. Young KPDs we develop just don't seem to get much luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back