Player Watch #30 Tom McCartin

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom McCartin.jpg
Tom McCartin

Player Profile

In an indication of Tom McCartin’s rapid rise, the young Sydney Swans forward had played 34 AFL games by the end of his teenage years – and that was despite being the youngest player in the league in his debut 2018 season. The Geelong Falcons product has a brilliant marking ability and presents a tall target inside 50, although coach John Longmire has also used him as a key defender. McCartin is the younger brother of number one 2014 AFL Draft pick Paddy, who played 35 AFL games with St Kilda.

Tom McCartin

DOB: 30 December 1999
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: St Joseph's (Vic)/St Joseph's, Geel (Vic)/Geel Gram (Vic)/Geel U18

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was a MIPS helmet, otherwise it would most likely have made it worse.

Of course in Paddy case he would of been subscribed the most suitable one.

The whole stance of helmets in the AFL is just misunderstood the right helmets for contact sports like the AFL would severely reduce TBI and its effects.

From what I was told, helmets don't really protect against concussion. If they did, I'm sure the AFL would make them mandatory.

The laymen terms I saw somewhere was to imagine your brain is like jelly inside a box. If you hit the side of the box the jelly will rattle around inside. If you put a protective barrier around the box and hit it, the result of the jelly rattling inside the box will be virtually the same. Helmets are only more beneficial against fractures, cuts, etc.
OK punch your kid in the head with a boxing glove, then without one.
See how that works out.

Same thing.

OK punch your kid in the head with a boxing glove, then without one.
See how that works out.

Same thing.
Not the same thing.
Yes, without the gloves there is more trauma on the outside of the head.
No, there is the same or similar trauma inside the head where concussion occurs. Concussion occurs when the brain moves inside the skull and gets damaged in some way.

Not the same thing.
No, there is the same or similar trauma inside the head where concussion occurs. Concussion occurs when the brain moves inside the skull and gets damaged in some way.

We are just not there yet in the tech required with design/materials im certain they will be a point in the near future where contact sports would be completely safe to play in.

Tom says hello
We are talking about Tom.

None of us are untouched or unconcerned by the repetitive head injuries suffered by Tom (and his brother) but folks process emotions in different ways. Clearly many of us do so by trying to understand the issues and/or by helping others to, so we can put forward informed opinions about how Tom and Paddy and other players can be better protected, before anyone else is forced from the game. Without being able to picture the mechanics of concussion, it's hard to have an opinion on the efficacy of helmets of various types or any other proposed solution.

Perhaps if the decision makers in the AFL and AFLPA see a ground-swell of support from the fan base, urging player welfare above even the traditions of the game, they may be more ready to put previously unthinkable or iconoclastic options on the table, such as compulsory helmets.

None of us are untouched or unconcerned by the repetitive head injuries suffered by Tom (and his brother) but folks process emotions in different ways. Clearly many of us do so by trying to understand the issues and/or by helping others to, so we can put forward informed opinions about how Tom and Paddy and other players can be better protected, before anyone else is forced from the game. Without being able to picture the mechanics of concussion, it's hard to have an opinion on the efficacy of helmets of various types or any other proposed solution.

Perhaps if the decision makers in the AFL and AFLPA see a ground-swell of support from the fan base, urging player welfare above even the traditions of the game, they may be more ready to put previously unthinkable or iconoclastic options on the table, such as compulsory helmets.
Helmets do not prevent concussion. Look at the NFL. You cannot get bigger helmets and they have far greater issues with concussion than the AFL. This could be and probably is a result of having players thinking they are protected by their helmets. Head clashes even with helmets still causes the brain to move inside the skull causing concussion.

You are writing war and peace on concussion , not Tom . Hopefully he's back and normality restored

Tom McCartin will miss this week again for the Swans.

John Longmire confirmed that the key defender has been training strongly this week since his concussion, but the Thursday night game counted against him.

He now also has the benefit of an extra week off with the bye.

Lachie McKirdy

John Longmire confirmed that the key defender has been training strongly this week since his concussion, but the Thursday night game counted against him.

Lachie McKirdy
The optimist in me reads that as saying the concussion recovery is no longer an issue, but he needs more time to build fitness from the layoff due to that recovery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something to keep in mind is that he had about 2 months off in the middle of last year and came back in and played very well to end the year with 8 matches in a row.

Of course every additional hit to the head and concussion is very concerning for his long-term wellbeing but I think we've got some evidence that the club is comfortable that McCartin is well enough to be close to playing and that he can come back in and play well for the rest of the year.

Fingers crossed for him.

I think the bit about it being a Thursday night game making a difference is a total furphy.

I think the club are just being uber conservative given his and his brother's concussion history and the concerns of the family and the club's duty of care. The science suggests avoiding concussions close together in time at all costs. Cumulative concussions are seriously bad news, but cumulative concussions in quick succession are disastrous.

Lachie McKirdy

Makes sense. He likely could have played this week but the bye just gives added incentive to rest him for one more match.

Not the same thing.
Oh sure, and amatuer boxers (gloves + helmets) get knocked out at the same rate as MMA fighters (no helmets, minimal gloves), or even pro boxers - no helmets I suppose. :rolleyes:

FMD have people lost all sense and logic? Maybe it's covid related. Or maybe the people saying helmets do nothing have been punched in the head too many times without a helmet.

So you have to fight Mike Tyson instead of Jake Paul this month. You have the choice of helmet, or no helmet. You honestly telling me there's no difference? 🤡

Becoming a bit concerning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to clarify I don’t mean that he shouldn’t be rested. The club is doing the right thing by Tom and his family. It’s just a worry that it could be an ongoing thing for him and wouldn’t be surprised if it’s another early retirement.

Very much hope it’s not the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back