Past #32: Jacob Edwards - drafted w/ #1 in '20 MSD - delisted end '23 w/ 0 NM games & 0 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s this blokes deal? Seems to be averaging 4 or 5 touches a game at VFL level… that won’t cut it. Was hyped up a lot when he arrived at the club.

What’s this blokes deal? Seems to be averaging 4 or 5 touches a game at VFL level… that won’t cut it. Was hyped up a lot when he arrived at the club.
Poor development.
Sometimes players just don't make it.
Wish him all the best but it's going to be interesting when he's up for contract renewal

Ruck/forward that after a sudden growth spurt in the year we took him is now as tall as Goldy but weighs as much as Spicer. He needs extra weight. Until he does that it's hard to judge him too much because he just gets bodied easily.

Disappointing, i thought he might be a steal initially, but hasn't come on at all so far.
Needs to start preseason really early and put on 5-7kg for starters.

Our recruiting and player development have been trying to outdo each other in shitfulness over the last few years so it’s hard to know where the issues are with some players.

But when it comes to Edwards, he was highly rated by just about all experts at that point in time. But let’s not forget he was overlooked at the ND prior to that. Then his apparent growth and rapid improvement led to him being highly sought after very quickly. Let him grow into his body and put on some weight.

Luckily he’s got another season before any calls on him need to be made and that season will be under a brand new regime.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Disappointing, i thought he might be a steal initially, but hasn't come on at all so far.
Needs to start preseason really early and put on 5-7kg for starters.
You are spot on with his need to put on weight and strength however I would encourage people to give him the time Thst was expected when he was picked up!

Was always going to be 3 years just to get to the starting line and zi think we are 18 months in iirc.

Appears to be a good natural ruck but miles off the body he needs do next year is a big one for him.

Needs a big preseason, but there’s plenty of good traits there. He’s so raw, give him time.

He just started rucking as the primary ruck and he’s doing pretty well. Not quite equalling the hitouts, but isn’t far off either.

Needs a big preseason, but there’s plenty of good traits there. He’s so raw, give him time.

He just started rucking as the primary ruck and he’s doing pretty well. Not quite equalling the hitouts, but isn’t far off either.
Some of the track watchers said he looked like a good forward playing school footy. Just needs time to grow into his tall glass of water frame

Some of the track watchers said he looked like a good forward playing school footy. Just needs time to grow into his tall glass of water frame
All very true; it is nevertheless mildly amusing to see him ruck against some of the old-fashioned telephone-pole ruckmen in the VFL - if there was a stat for someone being sat on their arse at centre bounces, poor old (young) Jacob would be the club house leader

well was worth a gamble, but we move on ,

vale jacob edwards,

He was a talented, iron-willed, and charming young man.

Jacob may have been a bit cocky and self-assured, but it was overlooked by his quick-witted humor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ferris Buellers Day Off GIF

His deal is that he’s 19 years old, 1cm taller than Goldy and 18kg lighter.

I think everyone needs to understand how long four or five years is, and not demand beanpole teenagers playing against men dominate.

For example, here are Goldys stats at age 19 and 20, and Edwards’ at 19.

B7F8A059-7ACA-4181-8AB5-FCDDB340B1D4.jpeg

I think they’re quite similar. Specifically, observe both young ruckmen’s (1) difficulty cracking double figure disposals and (2) hit out numbers.

Goldy doesn’t break 10 touches or 20 hit outs until late in his 20yo season. And that’s Goldstein, the player we now know holds the all time hit out record.

Edwards has had 10+ three times a year younger. At a lower level sure, but he’s still playing against men and the physical deficits in ruckwork I think transcend the level.

Look at the trend towards the end of Goldy’s 2009 and Edwards 2022 season. Both see upticks in disposals and hitouts. Goldys marks go up, and interestingly Edwards’ tackle numbers go up.

My point is, it is MILES too early to judge this guy. MILES too early.

Big men take time.

His deal is that he’s 19 years old, 1cm taller than Goldy and 18kg lighter.

I think everyone needs to understand how long four or five years is, and not demand beanpole teenagers playing against men dominate.

For example, here are Goldys stats at age 19 and 20, and Edwards’ at 19.

View attachment 1476888

I think they’re quite similar. Specifically, observe both young ruckmen’s (1) difficulty cracking double figure disposals and (2) hit out numbers.

Goldy doesn’t break 10 touches or 20 hit outs until late in his 20yo season. And that’s Goldstein, the player we now know holds the all time hit out record.

Edwards has had 10+ three times a year younger. At a lower level sure, but he’s still playing against men and the physical deficits in ruckwork I think transcend the level.

Look at the trend towards the end of Goldy’s 2009 and Edwards 2022 season. Both see upticks in disposals and hitouts. Goldys marks go up, and interestingly Edwards’ tackle numbers go up.

My point is, it is MILES too early to judge this guy. MILES too early.

Big men take time.
Sorry, but this is apples and oranges; Goldy was playing 1s, and edwards is in the magoos

Sorry, but this is apples and oranges; Goldy was playing 1s, and edwards is in the magoos

Goldy didn’t miss a year of footy through a pandemic in fairness.

I think that the same physical ceiling exists almost independent of the level of competition (obviously excepting underage competition)

If you’re 19 and playing against men, whether it’s VFL or AFL, it’s going to be hard to influence.

Also, I’m not saying they’re the same. I’m saying they can be compared usefully. Also, it’s Goldy. We hope but don’t expect any of our young ruckman to end as good as a club great like Goldy.

But even someone a bit worse than Goldy would still be a very good ruckman. So IMHO and in the absence of anything better to compare, I think you can gain some clarity from comparing their respective records.

Writing the whole thing off because of the level is counterproductive unless you’ve got an alternative?

Needs to come live with me for 4 weeks. Ill show him how to chuck 10kgs on in no time.
yeah I don't get why it takes these kids so long to fill out....my 16yo kid has stacked on 8 kgs in a month and he's only 5'11. Eating me out of house but hitting the gym, and no doubt using his older brothers license to get in the pubs probably helps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back