Player Watch #32: Toby Pink - signed as a DFA - welcome Toby BFNAAK

Remove this Banner Ad

Man I don't see it like that at all, the average person isn't near good enough for this level.
I'm one of them, Is probably a great fella, no shame in not being good enough for elite sport.

But I am sick of seeing us , the collective us fail.
Mate, he has played a total of 3 games. 2 of those games were against last year's Prelim finalists. He has played on Hogan (GWS) and now McKay and Curnow. Quality forwards.

He cost zero in draft capital. He was a delisted free agent. The only thing we gave up was a list spot.

He has shown that when the team is playing well up the ground, he can contribute. Go back and watch the first half vs Freo.

Give him a run of 8-10 games, to show what he can do.

No one is saying he is the next Darcy Moore. But give him more than the three games to prove himself.

Making a call on a player after thee games, is lousy....IMO

Mate, he has played a total of 3 games. 2 of those games were against last year's Prelim finalists. He has played on Hogan (GWS) and now McKay and Curnow. Quality forwards.

He cost zero in draft capital. He was a delisted free agent. The only thing we gave up was a list spot.

He has shown that when the team is playing well up the ground, he can contribute. Go back and watch the first half vs Freo.

Give him a run of 8-10 games, to show what he can do.

No one is saying he is the next Darcy Moore. But give him more than the three games to prove himself.

Making a call on a player after thee games, is lousy....IMO
Theziebel wrote him off after 5 mins...

Anyway comben aint coming in and making any difference to the magnitude of that loss, and thats not a knock on combin fwif.

Biggie suggestions are simply comical at present, looks like he would break in half in a contest.

Actually wasnt any worse than corr, i know that aint a high bar either.

Then there is dawson thats been ok. There is no one kicking the door down at the moment to take the un enviable task of the 2 talls down back. Porkins and cameron will smash us regardless who we match them up with if we dont adress our turnovers.

Anyway comben aint coming in and making any difference to the magnitude of that loss, and thats not a knock on combin fwif.

Biggie suggestions are simply comical at present, looks like he would break in half in a contest.

Actually wasnt any worse than corr, i know that aint a high bar either.

Then there is dawson thats been ok. There is no one kicking the door down at the moment to take the un enviable task of the 2 talls down back. Porkins and cameron will smash us regardless who we match them up with if we dont adress our turnovers.

Backs are hostage to the mid.

Still not sure about him yet
There's something there but....

Seems nervous everytime the balls goes near him & gets beaten aerially a lot of the time.

Cobden can't be relied on to get through a game footy uninjured (watch yesterday's vfl game). Let alone play on the AFL's power forwards. Cobden needs time to get himself right

Was pretty bad yesterday but he's having a debut tour against the most monstrous forwards in the competition. It's not shocking to me at all that he looked his best against the Freo offensive line (closest thing to equal opposition so far) when we were in control of the game. He and the other makeshift defenders stand no chance while our midfield is in such disarray.

Hogan, McKay, Daniher, Hawkins etc, these guys will show no mercy. We are just in between a rock and a hard place here for now. Keeps his spot simply because I'm not convinced by Biggie yet. Corr is in more trouble, as a leader back there.

Playing as the deepest defender, he is forced to be accountable for every mistake that's made up the field.

Should he be doing better, even in that context? Absolutely. Is there somebody on our list who could do a better job in that role until Logue returns? Sadly, probably not.

I think we're forced to persist with him, and at this stage our best option is to bring in a player like Comben or Nyuon who can hopefully help out Pink by zoning off as much as possible to impact contests aerially.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone knows that Pink was recruited as a stop gap with Logue going down and to try and hold down one of the defensive posts. Taking a SANFL state player and expecting him to be competitive against seasoned monster forwards is foolhardy after 3 games. The question that needs to be asked as soon as Griff went down with his ACL is the following. Did our recruiting team do everything possible in scouring the land to secure a ready made KPD for round 1 of 2024 within our Salary Cap? If we could use half of Corr’s salary (as he is not earning it) then we might have been able to go after more quality like a cashed up Port Adl did to secure BZT and Esava R. Best to assess this decision at the end of the year against any other KPD that we missed out on that we could have got under our Salary Cap, and who has played better than Pink/Biggy. I actually feel for Pink as I am sure he is trying his best, but when you have your confidence smashed out of you it can be a lonely dark place in an already shite backline.

Everyone knows that Pink was recruited as a stop gap with Logue going down and to try and hold down one of the defensive posts. Taking a SANFL state player and expecting him to be competitive against seasoned monster forwards is foolhardy after 3 games. The question that needs to be asked as soon as Griff went down with his ACL is the following. Did our recruiting team do everything possible in scouring the land to secure a ready made KPD for round 1 of 2024 within our Salary Cap? If we could use half of Corr’s salary (as he is not earning it) then we might have been able to go after more quality like a cashed up Port Adl did to secure BZT and Esava R. Best to assess this decision at the end of the year against any other KPD that we missed out on that we could have got under our Salary Cap, and who has played better than Pink/Biggy. I actually feel for Pink as I am sure he is trying his best, but when you have your confidence smashed out of you it can be a lonely dark place in an already shite backline.
The point is I’d rather the younger Comben and biggie get games over this bloke

He won’t be on a list at years end, is just a 1 year stop gap in case of emergency

Good post.

It doesn't really matter what us nuffies think - it's what the players think that really counts in the end.

No way I'm a young bloke in this team busting my backside looking around the changerooms after the game and thinking Pink after your 3 games you're letting me down.

No chance.

Same can't be said for some others.

not even edfl standard

Shouldn’t be on an afl list let alone getting a game

Pump games into comben and * pink off
Well he showed himself to be a high grade SANFL standard at least - which as far as I know is still higher than edfl.

That said the idea that he could be plucked out of the SANFL and play a key position at AFL level was wishful thinking.

He just isn't tall enough, fast enough (pace or mind) or skilled enough - he is your quintessential second level player.

But as we have said elsewhere our defence will look a lot different next year - no Pink, no Corr, no LMac.

Last edited:
Marty Hore playing in this Dees team tonight. ANy defender would struggle in this North team with the ball coming in like it does. Name one defender who wouldnt. i seem to recall McKay coping a beating also....

The problem we have at the moment is that players who have a choice between playing at North or Port (as an example) are going to choose Port. Unless we throw A grade money at C grade players.

Pink's not exactly David Dench, but he's being hung out to dry by turnovers up the field. McKay and Curnow are beating just about all defenders in a 1v1 contest. They only any of our defenders have is when another bloke can peel off his man an assist.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back