Player Watch #33: Brayden 'Sausage' George

Remove this Banner Ad

Caleb Windsor

Another good call. Darcy Wilson is another name to watch, but I'd definitely have Windsor ahead. Curtin maybe another one. I think it's going to be one of those drafts that stands out immediately, but I still think Wardlaw and McKercher have a clear advantage.

Wardlaw is the most talented player to retain second year eligibility in a very long time, and McKercher seems like he was designed in a lab to be great in his first year. A quick, prolific mid, with pace, elite endurance, and a role to win cheap touches off halfback is going to be very hard to beat.

For my final random thoughts on this subject, I'll also need to see it to believe it in regard to Tsatas being a non-factor. It doesn't sound like he is training the house down, but he might still butcher enough touches for Essendon this year to be in with a chance.

With Reid, the most likely scenario is a JHF type of first year where he shows off his talent but is ultimately a non-factor in the RS discussion. If Reid wins the award in what's one of the best fields we've seen for a while, despite his conditioning and interrupted preseason, he'd have to legitimately be a generational talent. And not a Herald Sun branded every other year generational talent, but the best player to walk into the AFL in 30 years type of generational talent.

Another good call. Darcy Wilson is another name to watch, but I'd definitely have Windsor ahead. Curtin maybe another one. I think it's going to be one of those drafts that stands out immediately, but I still think Wardlaw and McKercher have a clear advantage.

Wardlaw is the most talented player to retain second year eligibility in a very long time, and McKercher seems like he was designed in a lab to be great in his first year. A quick, prolific mid, with pace, elite endurance, and a role to win cheap touches off halfback is going to be very hard to beat.

For my final random thoughts on this subject, I'll also need to see it to believe it in regard to Tsatas being a non-factor. It doesn't sound like he is training the house down, but he might still butcher enough touches for Essendon this year to be in with a chance.

With Reid, the most likely scenario is a JHF type of first year where he shows off his talent but is ultimately a non-factor in the RS discussion. If Reid wins the award in what's one of the best fields we've seen for a while, despite his conditioning and interrupted preseason, he'd have to legitimately be a generational talent. And not a Herald Sun branded every other year generational talent, but the best player to walk into the AFL in 30 years type of generational talent.

Windsor will have the advantage of being a flashy pacy mid type who gets to play in a well established successful side and look his best.

He's already getting pre-season buzz.

Am I the the only one who’s thinks Wardlaw being eligible is a bit wrong?

I mean there’s a case for Brayden, as he hasn’t played either vfl or afl, even that’s a bit flimsy, as it really should be a first year player award.

I mean there’s a case for Brayden, as he hasn’t played either vfl or afl, even that’s a bit flimsy, as it really should be a first year player award.
Yes. You are the only one. :)

Yeah it’s like leave it to the new draftee’s. We know the batch from 2023 are going to be good - but let the guys who haven’t been in the system as long fight it out.

Yeah it’s like leave it to the new draftee’s. We know the batch from 2023 are going to be good - but let the guys who haven’t been in the system as long fight it out.
They’ve been in an afl environment with coaches/fitness staff for an extra twelve months, they should be way ahead of the draftees coming in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lose Willy Wonka GIF

The rules have been written this way for a reason. They have been written specifically to ALLOW someone like Wardlaw to win the award. It is specifically not the first year year player award as everyone is well aware. So yes, you are the only one who thinks Wardlaw being eligible is a bit wrong.

The rules have been written this way for a reason. They have been written specifically to ALLOW someone like Wardlaw to win the award. It is specifically not the first year year player award as everyone is well aware. So yes, you are the only one who thinks Wardlaw being eligible is a bit wrong.
Nah, it’s a media award, the rules were written so a kid playing for a big 4 club doesn’t miss out.

But still there’s enough talent coming through, why don’t you just accept you haven’t been the best first year player and move on.
Why’s Colby or Zane’s chances reduced because of a stupid rules.

Last edited:

homer simpson GIF

We do judge players on the number of games they've played as much as how long they've been in an afl system so I think its fair enough that players with less than 10 games before that season and under a certain age are eligible.

But its a media award as much as anything.

Nah, it’s a media award, the rules were written so a kid playing for a big 4 club doesn’t miss out.

But still there’s enough talent coming through, why don’t you just accept you haven’t been the best first year player and move on.
Why’s Colby or Zane’s chances reduced because of a stupid rules.
In the last four years, only winner from a big 4 club is Daicos who was a deserved winner. Don’t see any conspiracy with this one

In the last four years, only winner from a big 4 club is Daicos who was a deserved winner. Don’t see any conspiracy with this one
Ironically the three years before that. Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon had a player that won it 👀

Remove this Banner Ad

Back