Player Watch #33: Brayden 'Sausage' George

Remove this Banner Ad

As someone who doesn't watch the youngsters I had NFI who 'the Boy' is. It did concern me he was already 87kg's as that can often mean men against boys. But it seems the basics of his game is strong marking and leap. Which of course doesn't really lend itself to being a big bodied type.
Worth noting that he was playing bush footy so he's definitely uses to playing a rough type of game as he admitted in his interview with Pommy.

Perhaps the most surprising name to still be on the board, many predicted George would go in the mid teens and he’d even been linked to Melbourne’s Pick 15 before it took Matt Jefferson. And so it shouldn’t take long at all for the powerful midfielder/forward’s name to be read out – potentially even by the Giants with night two’s opening pick No. 22, having been linked to George. He had a wretched run with injury in 2022 including suffering an ACL rupture in the Bushrangers’ wildcard final against the Dragons, but recruiters had already seen enough from the talented youngster.
Any chance someone can post this article (or unlock it). Appears blocked to me without a subscription.
Brayden George’s dream of becoming an AFL footballer became a reality on Tuesday night.

The Murray Bushrangers graduate was drafted to North Melbourne with pick 26 on the second night of the national draft.

George, 18, is recovering from a knee reconstruction after suffering ACL damage in the Bushies’ NAB League final against Sandringham Dragons on August 27.

But although he’s unlikely to play in 2023, the Kangaroos have put their faith in a powerful player who’s being compared to Jordan De Goey and Christian Petracca.

Raised on a dairy farm in Girgarre, west of Shepparton, George left home to pursue his footballing ambitions, joining Alex Rance’s Academy in Wangaratta and quickly feeling the benefit on and off the field.

He made his senior Ovens and Murray debut for Wangaratta Rovers in 2021, spending two seasons with the Bushies albeit this year being cut short by injuries.

George missed three months with a meniscus tear but showed enough across the campaign to catch the eye of AFL recruiters.

He kicked 19 goals in eight games, including six against Greater Western Victoria Rebels and five against Gippsland Power.

“Brayden’s worked as hard and as diligently as any kid we’ve had come through the program,” Murray Bushrangers coach Mark Brown said.

“He moved to Wangaratta to take up a place at the Rance Academy at 16, he’s dedicated the last two years of his life to becoming an elite footballer and he’s now got that opportunity.

“With Alastair Clarkson landing at North Melbourne, he’s as well-credentialed as any coach in the AFL so that in itself is a really good fit for him. I think Brayden will thrive under him.”

Saw something on one of the North pages this morning.

BG's mum posting her thanks to everyone for being so lovely, and how excited she was that Brayden was a North player.

Basically said she's so excited he's "ours now" and Bailey hasn't stopped smiling, or something to that effect.

Saw something on one of the North pages this morning.

BG's mum posting her thanks to everyone for being so lovely, and how excited she was that Brayden was a North player.

Basically said she's so excited he's "ours now" and Bailey hasn't stopped smiling, or something to that effect.
A poster on a site, welcomed her to “the best club in the land” and asked if they were North supporters?
Her (Suzi) reply was: “Bloody oath, we are now”, “(sorry pies, goodbye)” 😂
She seems like a real character!

He looks like a cracker. I saw in the hilights Clarko was congratulating a lot of the draftees not just our guys. I reckon they’d be thrilled that a bloke with his experience and success reaches out to congratulate them….

From a selfish point of view it might also lead to trade request down the line.
Haha I was actually thinking exactly the same.

Just can’t get tired of watching the reaction here in this video to his selection. The passion from Brayden and the whole family knowing what he’s been through to reach this point is priceless.
I wonder if he knew he was going to be selected by North? Also what pick would he have likely gone without the injury

I wonder if he knew he was going to be selected by North? Also what pick would he have likely gone without the injury
You’d have to think he was probably in a position of more uncertainty than most due to the nature and timing of his injury. After what he’d been through in the last few months he just would have been desperate to go anywhere, and once there 100% committed to repaying the faith.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice get, looks a beauty in his highlights.

How far is he in his recovery? Any chance for any footy at all next year, even at vfl level?
Usually 11-12 months conservative treatment for ACL. Will begin building fitness by May-June then training for a return from then on. Could potentially get some footy in August next year.

I don’t really like the De Goey comparisons.

De Goey was a very accomplished mid at underage level, he became that permanent forward at AFL level that they are comparing a George to.

De Goey has played his best football since at AFL level out of the middle.

I think Heeney or even Zurhaar himself is a better comparison.
Ok fair enough, I see some similarity in the way he moves and kicks the footy. Just making the point we are impatient and these kids need 3-6 years.

An artle from the Border Mail

“It was obviously hard for the first couple of weeks, I was on the phone asking mum and dad about a number of things, but I came to realise I had to grow up pretty quickly. The biggest thing was putting myself out there in different situations, kind of being comfortable in feeling uncomfortable.”

Brayden George on moving out of home at just 17 – to live by himself

Brayden George has spoken about the unprecedented lengths he went to chasing AFL selection.

The explosive 18-year-old forward was chosen by North Melbourne at No. 26 in Tuesday night’s AFL Draft.

George is from the tiny community of Girgarre, which is just under two hours drive from Wangaratta.
He elected to leave home for Year 11 and 12 and move into a house by himself to attend Wangaratta-based The Academy, which is run by Richmond premiership player Alex Rance, while playing for the Murray Bushrangers and Wangaratta Rovers.

“I wanted to take my footy more seriously, although I thought at the time I wasn’t ready for it (the move away from home),” he offered.

“It was obviously hard for the first couple of weeks, I was on the phone asking mum and dad about a number of things, but I came to realise I had to grow up pretty quickly.

“The biggest thing was putting myself out there in different situations, kind of being comfortable in feeling uncomfortable.

“I didn’t really know anyone, if I got rejected, not to take it to heart.”

His father Jonathan said Victoria’s COVID lockdowns only added to the unique situation.

“It was hard at the start, my wife Susan did a lot of hard yards over and back to help look after Brayden, as all mums do, it was four to five times a week,” he explained.

“Then with COVID and the lockdowns where you couldn’t travel, he was on his own, but all the locals helped out when we couldn’t get there.”

George’s situation was difficult enough, but then he suffered a torn meniscus in his right knee this year and missed 10 weeks.

But he then tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee and underwent surgery a week later.

“With the second one, I let it get to me a little bit mentally, it took its toll on me a little bit, but I came to realise you can only control what you can control,” he reasoned.

“I can do a little more now, I hope to be back running around Christmas.”

Considered a genuine top 10 chance after kicking five and six goals against eventual minor premiers Gippsland Power and Greater Western Victoria respectively, North Melbourne is eyeing a 2024 debut as he recovers.

As well as his power, George is also a good mark overhead and dynamic in the forward 50.

“I was a mad Richmond fan growing up, but in the last couple of years taken a back step from them and watched a few players who play like me, maybe like a Jamie Elliott (Collingwood) or Isaac Heeney (Sydney),” he suggested.

George has also been compared with power players Jordan De Goey (Collingwood) and Melbourne premiership player Christian Petracca.

“He’s certainly blossomed in his time away,” dad said proudly.

Think Braydens only real insight into North is the cheersquad video doing the rounds a few years back.

Hopefully he soon realises that there are crazier and more unhinged supporters out there like us who will really make him feel welcome lol

“It was obviously hard for the first couple of weeks, I was on the phone asking mum and dad about a number of things, but I came to realise I had to grow up pretty quickly. The biggest thing was putting myself out there in different situations, kind of being comfortable in feeling uncomfortable.”

Brayden George has spoken about the unprecedented lengths he went to chasing AFL selection.

The explosive 18-year-old forward was chosen by North Melbourne at No. 26 in Tuesday night’s AFL Draft.

George is from the tiny community of Girgarre, which is just under two hours drive from Wangaratta.
He elected to leave home for Year 11 and 12 and move into a house by himself to attend Wangaratta-based The Academy, which is run by Richmond premiership player Alex Rance, while playing for the Murray Bushrangers and Wangaratta Rovers.

“I wanted to take my footy more seriously, although I thought at the time I wasn’t ready for it (the move away from home),” he offered.

“It was obviously hard for the first couple of weeks, I was on the phone asking mum and dad about a number of things, but I came to realise I had to grow up pretty quickly.

“The biggest thing was putting myself out there in different situations, kind of being comfortable in feeling uncomfortable.

His father Jonathan said Victoria’s COVID lockdowns only added to the unique situation.

“It was hard at the start, my wife Susan did a lot of hard yards over and back to help look after Brayden, as all mums do, it was four to five times a week,” he explained.

“Then with COVID and the lockdowns where you couldn’t travel, he was on his own, but all the locals helped out when we couldn’t get there.”

George’s situation was difficult enough, but then he suffered a torn meniscus in his right knee this year and missed 10 weeks.

But he then tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee and underwent surgery a week later.

“With the second one, I let it get to me a little bit mentally, it took its toll on me a little bit, but I came to realise you can only control what you can control,” he reasoned.

Considered a genuine top 10 chance after kicking five and six goals against eventual minor premiers Gippsland Power and Greater Western Victoria respectively, North Melbourne is eyeing a 2024 debut as he recovers.

As well as his power, George is also a good mark overhead and dynamic in the forward 50.

“I was a mad Richmond fan growing up, but in the last couple of years taken a back step from them and watched a few players who play like me, maybe like a Jamie Elliott (Collingwood) or Isaac Heeney (Sydney),” he suggested.

George has also been compared with power players Jordan De Goey (Collingwood) and Melbourne premiership player Christian Petracca.

Lol compare his attitude to JHF

Lol compare his attitude to JHF
Like chalk and cheese. Brayden has already put in some hard yards by the sounds of it. *** wouldn't know what that's even like.

Hey JH*face.. This is real character 👏

STEAL: Brayden George (Pick 26, North Melbourne)

Perhaps this year's prime example of an injury impacting a player’s draft stocks, George was viewed as a potential top-10 talent before suffering an ACL rupture in the NAB League finals.

Still linked as high as No.15 to Melbourne, instead it was up to the Kangaroos to swoop on the exciting midfielder/forward who can play in the style - if not yet at the level - of Jordan De Goey.

In a way he fits North Melbourne perfectly because they can take their time with him, helping him fully recover from the severe injury before a potential AFL debut late in 2023.

I always have my concerns when a player has done an acl, but by George I hope I am wrong . Good luck and Go The Mighty Roos

Agree generally, but happy to take the risk at that point of the draft.

Certainly didn’t want to take Hollands a couple of years back due to the knee.

Would have also been really nervous if I was a saints supporter taking max king.

And so far both have been fine.

You look at petracca doing his knee in his first preseason and it shows that for some players it’s just a bad bit of history that doesn’t impact their future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back