AFL Player #35: Matt Guelfi - Out for <insert weeks> with a calf strain - 18/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicky Ricky Dicky Dawn Daydreaming GIF by Nickelodeon

calf strain, few weeks

Injury update: Matt Guelfi​

Utility sidelined by calf injury.

Scans have today revealed Essendon forward Matt Guelfi has suffered a calf strain at training this week.

The 25-year-old is expected to miss the next few weeks of pre-season training.

General Manager of Performance Daniel McPherson said Guelfi had been one of the standouts over the pre-season and has a great fitness base which will hopefully help him to recover quite quickly.

“Matt suffered calf soreness following training and was sent for a precautionary MRI, which confirmed that he has a strain in his calf,” McPherson said.

“He is an important part of our team, and we will take the time to ensure he is fully recovered ahead of the season."

Bulk soft tissues every season. I’d be looking at Sean Murphy/ or potentially the surface over training standards.
There is nothing wrong with the surface. Zero. Naught. Do not know where this keep coming from. It is 1000000% better than WH and as good as any other training venue I have seen close up.

There is nothing wrong with the surface. Zero. Naught. Do not know where this keep coming from. It is 1000000% better than WH and as good as any other training venue I have seen close up.
Generally no it’s a great surface, but I had heard whispers it had been a tad hard this preseason.

The S&c program is the issue imo. Still don’t know why they weren’t cleaned out last year after the 2022 catastrophe

Generally no it’s a great surface, but I had heard whispers it had been a tad hard this preseason.

The S&c program is the issue imo. Still don’t know why they weren’t cleaned out last year after the 2022 catastrophe
A tad hard is not really causing soft tissue injuries. As for the S&C program. It got reviewed. Obviously the answers where accepted.

“We’ll work harder. But also not harder but smarter.”

“Sounds perfect”
What have we had so far ? a minor end calf strain , some back soreness and a calf knock in a marking contest as far as soft tissue type injuries go.

What have we had so far ? a minor end calf strain , some back soreness and a calf knock in a marking contest as far as soft tissue type injuries go.
I don’t think there’s been any major problem so far. Reid and Cox are starting to frustrate me but there’s some bad luck involved

My comment was more that I reckon there is a lot of risk involved as clubs hire / choose to retain strength & conditioning staff. It’s like administrators hiring surgeons. You can interview, ref check etc but unless you know more than they do about the subject matter all you can really do is work them against KPIs & outcomes and look for inconsistencies in what they tell you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones
Guelfi
Stringer
Reid?
Cox
Tsatas

All with leg injuries this summer isnt it? or is Reids back again? I forgot

Whats Stewarts injury?
Yeah, Reid has some level of ‘hotspot’ in his back. I thought Cox and stringer also had back issues (although Stringer had groin issue before Christmas)

I believe Stewart has plantar fasciitis. Last year he it one foot and got over it and then now has it in other foot.

Jones
Guelfi
Stringer
Reid?
Cox
Tsatas

All with leg injuries this summer isnt it? or is Reids back again? I forgot

Whats Stewarts injury?
Stewart had a foot issue from last season. Not far away from full training judging on today.
Jones and Cox initially ankle issues. Cox currently has a minor back issue.
String tightness in his back.
Reid with a slightly more serious back issue. Stress related back problem was what they described it as.

Yeah, Reid has some level of ‘hotspot’ in his back. I thought Cox and stringer also had back issues (although Stringer had groin issue before Christmas)

I believe Stewart has plantar fasciitis. Last year he it one foot and got over it and then now has it in other foot.
Oh that's a painful injury.

We are tracking pretty well really. Mostly minor injuries.

All clubs have 5-10 players with something this time of year. It is only when you have 5-10 to key players during the season that it impacts poorly.

Just because a club might have many soft tissue injuries at once doesn't mean their program is any worse than those that have none. AFL is a tough sport physically.

We are tracking pretty well really. Mostly minor injuries.

All clubs have 5-10 players with something this time of year. It is only when you have 5-10 to key players during the season that it impacts poorly.

Just because a club might have many soft tissue injuries at once doesn't mean their program is any worse than those that have none. AFL is a tough sport physically.

Andrew Russell was regarded as the best in the AFL for a long time and look at all the issues Carlton are having.

has commenced running following calf strain

Forward Matt Guelfi has commenced running as he builds back towards full training.

Both players are expected to miss the club’s first practice match against the Gold Coast Suns on Thursday, February 23.

good chance for round 1 after impressive VFL return from injury
Small forward Matt Guelfi and midfielder Kyle Langford did their round one selection chances no harm following impressive performances in the VFL practice match against Frankston on Saturday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back