Player Watch #35: Nathan Broad

Remove this Banner Ad

On the podcast saying 800k a year is the west coast offer. They have Old West coast players on the list already.
Retain them is better culture.

Personally I think it'd be 800 over 2 years.
If he can't get 3 or 4 years at that money he needs a better agent. He is an absolute star though you feel that the money would be better spent on someone younger like Himmelberg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Losing broad to get hh would be a loss for us
We have got tall defender depth. If other clubs are offering 800k for Broad, do we get a high draft pick out of that? The club would know if there's interest in Broad elsewhere. In which case maybe go a KPF in the MSD.

I'd hang off the FA KPF for a year. Try the drafts.

JR retires and Lynch out injured for the year.

List wise we need a FA KPF.
Not necessarily HH.
Most expensive KPFs are Lynch and McKay. $1 million.
C Grade like Weideman.
HH is somewhere in the middle of that.

See if Gibcus can get back on the park. Miller & Ryan KPF at the moment. Bradkte, Bigoa, Bauer untried. TBH Balta showed a bit as KPF in 2022.

Knowing our list management they won't be confident of Bradke & Bauer and will go a FA. Castagna, JR, Cotch, Tarrant salary all available.

Last edited:
If Broad leaves, I think we will put grimes back to taking on the most damaging forward and Gibcus goes into the Grimes slot. Or maybe it opens up a slot for Tom Brown

Can't knock broad if he accepts the rumoured offers, if it is 800k thats band 1 compo and a first round pick, and that could be like pick 6,7,8. If that is the case we should not go after himmelberg and just accept the compo pick

Just hoping he stays to see out the journey. Can’t see any kids pushing him out of his position

They won't but eventually you have to create positions for the kids. I mean a back 6 of Balta, Grimes, Broad, Vlas, Rioli and Baker is pretty much locked in if all are fit. Clearly Gibcus needs to play when he's fit, so who's spot does he take?

It's like people want to bring in all the untried kids in the coming weeks, but we still have Lynch, Hopper, MRJ, Gibcus to come in before them and we aren't going to play guys like Prestia in the reserves. Best 22 spots are very limited in our team, eventually we have to do what Hawthorn did and lose best 22 players to create spots for kids if we decide we cant win the flag in the next 2 years.

But he’s not going for the long haul
He would be going back west to start his family to his and his wife’s home state and eagles would want his experience to help assist with guiding the younger players they have

Would get paid more in the process and potentially be able to start the groundwork on his post footy career prospects
Has Broad actually stated that he wants to go home?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back