Player Watch #36 Joel Amartey

Remove this Banner Ad

Amartey 3.jpg

Joel Amartey
Joel Amartey has shown strong form in the ruck and as a key-position player at both ends of the ground since being drafted to the Sydney Swans as a rookie ahead of season 2018. The Ghanaian-Australian produced arguably his best performance of the 2019 season against Sydney University in Round 6, which saw him collect 42 hit-outs and a goal. In season 2020, he made his AFL debut against Brisbane Lions in Round 17 after producing some strong individual performances in scrimmage matches, and impressed with eight hit-outs and two inside 50.

Joel Amartey
DOB: 02 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #28, 2017 Rookie Elevation
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Gram (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Last edited by a moderator:
I find this wording very interesting, signs until "at least the end of 2026"

This suggests to me he has trigger clauses for an extension. Could be a 5 or 6 year deal imo.

View attachment 1723651
The AFL media tends to use this language. I think it's more an indication that they could sign more contracts after that.

Great news.

I'm balls in on Amartey, Logan and Buller fwd.

Ben McKay back.

Great news.

Ben McKay back.
McLean's spot to lose imo, but I do hope Buller overtakes him and I think he will, but it may not be next season, probably the season after that. I think the brissy game showed he's not up to AFL standard yet bit not far off.

As for McKay, I'm neither here nor there if we get him. Would be serviceable, but so would esava, who would be cheaper. So I'm leaning that way.

I'm still hoping for a jack in the box surprise though. Need a gun inside mid. I'm still keen on parish but there may be a left field option pop up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great news.

Ben McKay back.
Very much looking forward to watching Buller over the rest of the year.. and even more next year after his first pre-season. I think theres every possibility he overtakes McLean. Been on the Amartey bandwagon for years and Logan is gonna be a gun. Not sure about McKay?? Would prefer Barrass, but what's being banded around as far as cost (draft picks and salary), not sure either are a good idea. Need someone though..

I don't think Amartey is depth anymore. With everyone fit Amartey is in our best 22.
If Reid were fit and it was an important game I think Reid's experience would get him over the line in front of Amartey. Otherwise I personally agree but I don't know if the coaches rate McLean or Amartey higher. Historically the coaches have favoured McLean but I think Amartey has had a breakout year.

If Reid were fit and it was an important game I think Reid's experience would get him over the line in front of Amartey. Otherwise I personally agree but I don't know if the coaches rate McLean or Amartey higher. Historically the coaches have favoured McLean but I think Amartey has had a breakout year.
I would have Reid over McLean first.

With everyone fit I think the three tall forward positions in our best 22 are McDonald, Buddy and Reid (then Amartey, then McLean, then Buller).

Next year Buddy and probably Reid will be gone. We need some replacements for them. I'd fancy one by trade and one in the draft. Let's say Himmelberg and O'Sullivan, although there are plenty of other decent options both by trade and in the draft.

He's frustrating the crap out of me. He was down to only being able to walk in the fourth qtr on Sunday, completely gassed. Now I get he was just back from injury, but he had only missed a week.
If he can't run a game out, he shouldn't be out there.

And no, with Buller injured I don't know who I'd replace him with or how I'd restructure the team, but at the very least, we need 18 players that are capable of jogging from one contest to another in the fourth quarter.

Not that I think it's worth looking at any time soon, but if Amartey doesn't work out as a forward could it be worth trying him in defense? He has the size, marking ability and athleticism to be a good defender but maybe lacks the football smarts to read the game as a forward?

Not that I think it's worth looking at any time soon, but if Amartey doesn't work out as a forward could it be worth trying him in defense? He has the size, marking ability and athleticism to be a good defender but maybe lacks the football smarts to read the game as a forward?

I mean, if he's struggling to run out games as a forward, I can only see that being worse as a defender.

The good news with Amartey is that when he does get to contests he's consistently dangerous.

He's had a disrupted year and I'm not sure he's had a full preseason in recent memory. If he can get a really good preseason in next year and get his fitness up to scratch, I don't see any issues with him as a forward. Certainly I don't think ability will be the barrier.

I mean, if he's struggling to run out games as a forward, I can only see that being worse as a defender.

The good news with Amartey is that when he does get to contests he's consistently dangerous.

He's had a disrupted year and I'm not sure he's had a full preseason in recent memory. If he can get a really good preseason in next year and get his fitness up to scratch, I don't see any issues with him as a forward. Certainly I don't think ability will be the barrier.

I know cardiovascular fitness is the most trainable of all the fitness domains (relative to power/speed or strength). But apparently he rocked up at the club barely able to run laps. And this is despite having been a decent junior footballer - he played for Sandringham. It’s not like they plucked him out of volleyball or whatever.

I just feel like his baseline is incredibly low?

Feels like trying to build Amartey a decent tank will be like trying to turn Lewis Jetta into a full forward.

Last edited:
He's frustrating the crap out of me. He was down to only being able to walk in the fourth qtr on Sunday, completely gassed. Now I get he was just back from injury, but he had only missed a week.
If he can't run a game out, he shouldn't be out there.

And no, with Buller injured I don't know who I'd replace him with or how I'd restructure the team, but at the very least, we need 18 players that are capable of jogging from one contest to another in the fourth quarter.

shame we didn't have a tall versatile sub who could at the very least run and give a contest, then you could sub Amartey off when he was basically walking with the game on the line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back