Past #36: Joel Tippett - pick #8 '13 RD - delisted end '16 season - 7 games for NM - thanks Tippo

Remove this Banner Ad

With Thommo having a s**t year, we need this bloke more than ever.
Agree with Tippett in great form it puts pressure on Thompson and Firrito to perform otherwise Tippett can come in and replace them

Tippo was great on Saturday, 25 disposals and held his opponent very well

4. Despite the Roosters’ attacking dominance, Joel Tippett still earnt praise for his defensive efforts.

“Tippo was really good. It seems strange, but nothing got past him,” Dyer said.

“His organisation was really good down back, even though he wasn’t challenged.

“I thought he was really good for us.”

1. Joel Tippett continued his excellent form as the leader of the Roosters’ backline. Against a tough matchup in Nathan Vardy, the Roo completely dominated.

“Tippo was outstanding,” Development Manager Ben Dyer told NMFC.com.au.

“He was never beaten in the one-on-ones against Vardy.

“Vardy’s had a few games back now, and he’s been kicking goals in the last few weeks so he was a tough matchup.

“Joel was looking forward to it, considering his good form in recent weeks. He defended exceptionally well and he was able to organise the team’s defensive shape as well.

“He read it well, made good decisions, disposed of it well. It was the best game he’s played at VFL level against a very good opponent.

Just because he has a brother there? Who may not be there after next year?

We're not exactly stacked for key defenders. Nielson and Durdin would be next in line.

Partly, but mainly because they have a shite backline.

Anyway, it's just an opinion.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An article about him on the NMFC site. Planning to read it later.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2015-08-14/making-an-impact

Defender Joel Tippett says an honest conversation he had with North senior development coach Gavin Brown last month has helped him remain on top of his game.

"Some of the things we spoke about were his ability to have more of an impact in the game, not necessarily through more possessions – although that was the aim as well – but also to impact defensively," Brown said.

"We talked about positioning around the ground and to alter that a little bit.

"I couldn't sit here and say that he needs to do 'this, this and this' to get a game of footy, he's doing those things and he's got his hand well and truly up."

Tippett, who is usually handed the task of playing on the last line of defence, said he was seeing the benefits of approaching games with three simple focus areas.

"Being hard to play against, winning or halving my one-on-ones in the contested situations and then being the deepest defender, I try and set up," he said.

Last edited:
4. Joel Tippett’s move onto Jesse White was the catalyst for North Ballarat’s big second half.

“White was probably the only tall for them that looked likely to impact the contest when they went forward,” Dyer explained.

“Tippo was taking the deeper forward in Witts and Cox. After halftime, he went exclusively to White and I thought he bodied him really well and spoiled really well. It was a pivotal move and good for Joel to beat a guy who has played a lot of AFL footy.”

3. Joel Tippett continues to do everything right at VFL level, this week shutting down highly-rated forward Lech Featherstone.

“Tippo just really nullified him like he’s done to a few good opponents recently,” Dyer said.

“They looked up with the footy and his opponent was just never an option because he positions so well and spoiled so well.

“On the turnover he was just off and gone. He had 22 or 23 touches and kicked it well. It was a really good game.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back