Past #36: Josh Williams - drafted #36 2016 ND - 2 games/1 goal - delisted end 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel free to howl me down but...

I reckon his kicking distance is alright.

Proviso: off a couple of steps.

Seems like the distance on his kicks becomes an issue when he's running at full tilt, seems to have a terrible kicking action at speed, mediocre ball drop and tends to scoop the ball up which makes it arc up and straight back down again robbing him of a good 10-20m penetration.

The Atley issue.

Coaches I'm sure will have a red hot crack at changing it.

Townsville boy!

The Townsville AFL comp is not bad owing to the fact so many army boys relocate here from down south. For a rugby league town (home of the much loved Cowboys) Townsville is starting to produce some AFL draft pics - there are currently four in the comp, including Williams and Brayden Preuss at NM.

Seems like the distance on his kicks becomes an issue when he's running at full tilt, seems to have a terrible kicking action at speed, mediocre ball drop and tends to scoop the ball up which makes it arc up and straight back down again robbing him of a good 10-20m penetration.

The Atley issue.

Disagree on the Atley comparison myself.

Atley's problem, imo, is decision making, even at full speed. I actually think he's got a decent kicking technique, the problem is that he shits himself in traffic or even, sometimes, when there's the smallest bit of pressure.

Agree with your summary of Williams deficiency though. From a standing start or when he has time his short-mid distance kicking looks really neat. Like you say though, he loses a bit of composure and any penetration he possess on his kicks when he's going at full speed.

The Atley issue.

I loved the criticism of his left foot kick after the end to end ground effort in one play.

Please point out to me (don't mean this at DP) who on our list:

1. Is capable of running hard and linking up in multiple plays - I'd say there's about 2-3 blokes who have shown any competence in this area

2. Could dispose effectively after the above on the opposite foot - close to 0 candidates

(Log in to remove this ad.)

very confident he will be a player. my pick as our best player out of this draft. has that much upside and potential its ridiculous. His speed and goal kicking ability will be priceless in 2 years or so

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-06-30/u18s-replay-vicc-v-allies-q1

16:50 left. Receives on the outside from a stoppage in the centre on the ground defensive side of the middle, takes 2 bounces and kicks a goal from 50. Nice. May not be able to get his own ball at this stage but will hurt the opposition if left alone and he's given it.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-06-25/u18s-replay-allies-v-vicm-q3

6.55 left in the 3rd, Josh takes a real good mark, long dash and hits a leading target inside 50. Only had 2 kicks of his 8 touches but this passage was real impressive. Has alot of work to do and to work on but the talent is there.
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-06-30/u18s-replay-vicc-v-allies-q1

16:50 left. Receives on the outside from a stoppage in the centre on the ground defensive side of the middle, takes 2 bounces and kicks a goal from 50. Nice. May not be able to get his own ball at this stage but will hurt the opposition if left alone and he's given it.
Nice. Plenty to work with. Good to see he can clear 50m.

Very raw.

Very intelligent and driven. Can't see much of a go home factor either with Watson down here either.

Lots to like if he can find a role and build his game to become a more consistent contributor

Just re-watched all the newbie clips and Josh's highlights really stand out.

How long till he gets a game? Can't see him debuting in 2017 (this year!!) but I hope he's not too much of a project player. I'm assuming knocking up possessions and a defensive side to his game are his development issues?

I loved the criticism of his left foot kick after the end to end ground effort in one play.

Please point out to me (don't mean this at DP) who on our list:

1. Is capable of running hard and linking up in multiple plays - I'd say there's about 2-3 blokes who have shown any competence in this area

2. Could dispose effectively after the above on the opposite foot - close to 0 candidates

1. JMac
2. Higgins
3. Wood
4. Simpkin
5. Ahern
6. Hrovat
7. McDonald
8. Garner
9. Waite
10. Wright

Would have some chance of pulling the above off.

But other than them, you are spot on!

1. JMac
2. Higgins
3. Wood
4. Simpkin
5. Ahern
6. Hrovat
7. McDonald
8. Garner
9. Waite
10. Wright

Would have some chance of pulling the above off.

But other than them, you are spot on!

1. Maybe..
2. Agree
3. Does he have a right foot?
4. Unknown
5. Unknown
6. Dunno
7. Don't think his motor would allow repeat efforts. Not on exposed form anyway
8. Opposite foot says no
9. Waitey in multiple plays? Waitey does his damage at contest 1 and stops there. Usually because he pulled off some impossible trick.
10. Refer #7

1. Maybe..
2. Agree
3. Does he have a right foot?
4. Unknown
5. Unknown
6. Dunno
7. Don't think his motor would allow repeat efforts. Not on exposed form anyway
8. Opposite foot says no
9. Waitey in multiple plays? Waitey does his damage at contest 1 and stops there. Usually because he pulled off some impossible trick.
10. Refer #7
Garners left foot pass onto Waite's chest after borking on the boundary in the final against Richmond says he has a left foot. Has been imprinted in my brain for life.

Garners left foot pass onto Waite's chest after borking on the boundary in the final against Richmond says he has a left foot. Has been imprinted in my brain for life.

That was awesome but I've never considered him as having consistent stable skills but more being effective in an unorthodox way under pressure.

Does anyone have an update on this kid and where he is at? Hasnt had a look in at JLT as yet and havent heard much about him over the preseason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back