Past #36: Josh Williams - drafted #36 2016 ND - 2 games/1 goal - delisted end 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Yesterday was a great example of how critical it is for josh to come on. Not expecting him to be a star, but as someone who does the simple things well and has genuine pace.

He has already put on some size in his arms and shoulders. Hopefully if he can put size on as quickly as Wags has he'll be
Playing AFL footy next year.

The obsession with size around these parts, and indeed in many footy circles, is quite disturbing to many who know the ins and outs of muscle building and its impact upon sportsmen (I'm talking the academics who study this stuff day in day out as well as getting contracted to consult for international sporting teams).

Muscle is hard to put on, and it takes time. Young blokes have a better time of it but my colleagues were dumbstruck when we heard a certain Bulldogs player (I won't name names) didn't have calorie intakes counted but was just told to 'stuff his face and lift weights' day in and day out. This isn't rocket science for football clubs, especially with the technology we have these days, but there is still a lot of amateur level bull**** floating around.

Put on weight too quickly, and unless you are a genetic freak (or using some uh...substances), much of that is going to be fat. It will diminish his capacity to run in that regard, but yes, he will hit people harder. We want our boys to be strong, compact, and to gain weight at a ratio that allows them to retain all of their athletic attributes. I don't want to see kids like Josh lose half a step in pace because we're obsessed with giving him fatceps before he has 'the body' to play AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice goal. Lookin fwd to watching the game. How was the rest of josh' game?
14 disposals, linked up and competed well and didn't look out of place.

Needs to put a bit more muscle, but I like what I see.

Needs work on his match awareness, but that will come with experience. Good debut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back