Past #37: Kyron Hayden - delisted end '22 - 12 NM games/ 0 NM goals - thanks Ronny

Remove this Banner Ad

It's clear with only 3 selections live we don't want to be railed roaded into picking Thomas Scott and Crocker.
Now with a 4th selection crocker can hopefully get through to the rookie draft and we have 2 live picks for needs/ anything that slips through.

Hayden won't be picked up before our first rookie selection and will remain on the roos list.
As he's on a main list wage and has a contract for that next year, another club would want to be super keen to pick up that contract as a rookie. Won't happen.

Clubs made good moves all off season this included.

I feel like this club has sought to take a direction whereby the very heart and soul of our list, our youth has been completely gutted over the off season thus far. Makes me sick. Here we have another promising youth, effectively removed, rather than invested in, and given the opportunity to show us why we recruited him. Hell he's been with us less than 12 months. Retained because a draftee's contract stipulates that he's given 2 years on a list is not a vote of confidence in a young player.

We used to be a family club. No more. A ruthless club? Well if there is purpose behind it, then maybe... just maybe it's the way to go. But whatever vision the club has had of late has been at the expense of potential young stars that were already on our list but will never get the chance.
I can’t agree with your points here.

We obviously are planning something in the draft to make way for more as you you call them “future young stars”

The addition of TT and Bailey as well as Crocker and whomever else we pick up will assure our young players stocks are healthy.

The club has shown a bit more ruthlessness this season and I for one am liking this direction.

Hayden shows potential and the club will do right by him in picking him up as a rookie. We run the risk of loosing him to another club but I’m sure the club is aware of this risk.

It’s now up to Hayden to entrench himself in the club’s future.

I understand the need to open up list spots to cover all contingencies, I'm just a little disappointed in who we've chosen to do that.

Unproven spud > proven spud.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cam Delaney was taking after our first pick in the rookie draft so not exactly poached.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

We picked up Preuss who turned out to be a more valuable asset.

I'll back the footy dept in this case, because whilst I like some of Kyron's assets as a player, there's no chance he will be an AFL player if he doesn't markedly improve his aerobic capacity.

For all we know he has hinted to the club that he wants to go back west at the end of next year.

Strange move by the club but at risk of sounding like a broken record but how is Rat not de-listed > Kyron, Mountford etc

You can say what you like about Hrovat, but he does have the fitness to play AFL football.

Currently, Kyron is a looooooooooooong way off it.

Therefore, Nathan is the better bet right now.

Surely Watson would have been less likely to be poached! Could there be a monetary (ie: wage-based) incentive in re-rookie'ing a 1st year player compared to someone who has been there 2 years?

Folks, the way lists are maintained and developed has undergone a revolution, and some of you seem to be struggling to come to terms with this "brave new world".

The game has changed and lists are now more dynamic and in favor of the short term window, resulting in speculative junior players having a very short time to prove themselves worthy of retention.

Kyron is one of those junior players.

The game has changed and lists are now more dynamic and in favor of the short term window, resulting in speculative junior players having a very short time to prove themselves worthy of retention.

Interesting take. I was wondering whether we've overcorrected from being too conservative with list moves to suddenly writing off almost everyone who hasn't sprung out of the blocks in their career.

It then concerned me because it means while we might be cutting losses better than before, we're actually denouncing our own ability to select talent over the last 3-4 years.

What you're referring to suggests more of a league-wide trend and at first thought, yes, a lot of players with seeming upside elsewhere seemed to have been cut adrift too. There does seem to be a trend towards faster turnover in the talent weak 18 club league.

Interesting take. I was wondering whether we've overcorrected from being too conservative with list moves to suddenly writing off almost everyone who hasn't sprung out of the blocks in their career.

It then concerned me because it means while we might be cutting losses better than before, we're actually denouncing our own ability to select talent over the last 3-4 years.

What you're referring to suggests more of a league-wide trend and at first thought, yes, a lot of players with seeming upside elsewhere seemed to have been cut adrift too. There does seem to be a trend towards faster turnover in the talent weak 18 club league.

Yep, the 3-4 years you're referring to is the period where list management has undergone a revolution.

Gaining a foothold in the top group of clubs and maintaining that position is now achievable. Our footy dept is just moving with the times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see why they've done this. But I don't agree with how the AFL deals with it.

If they insist on keeping the Rookie list we should be allowed to move players there w/ zero risk.

That's the same drum I beat every year. AFLPA fought tooth and claw to enable free movement for experienced players via FA. Why did they never protect the job security of the bottom end players by seeking consensual ability for a senior listed player to move to the rookie list?

I can't see how the current system is better for club or player.

That's the same drum I beat every year. AFLPA fought tooth and claw to enable free movement for experienced players via FA. Why did they never protect the job security of the bottom end players by seeking consensual ability for a senior listed player to move to the rookie list?

Mind boggling isn't it?

It's not as if these kids will never play AFL football again.

The AFLPA is a flawed organisation. It's most likely been corrupted.

Didn't Kyron have shoulder surgery, and therefore no proper preseason last year ? was really looking forward to seeing him step up a notch with a full preseason under his belt.

It could still happen mate. No one is writing him off. It's up to him, just like any other player on the list.

You can say what you like about Hrovat, but he does have the fitness to play AFL football.

Currently, Kyron is a looooooooooooong way off it.

Therefore, Nathan is the better bet right now.

He could have all the fitness in the world and he would still be a **** footballer lol and plus Rat is much older. Mind you he did have a handful of good games last year

We were told how bloody impressed we were on Kyron when he got him so it was a bit of a strange move, unless he has gone backwards

He could have all the fitness in the world and he would still be a **** footballer lol and plus Rat is much older. Mind you he did have a handful of good games last year

Okay, that's how you see it, but he has the fitness base to get on the field in the first place regardless of his ability.

This is an underlying non negotiable.

We were told how bloody impressed we were on Kyron when he got him so it was a bit of a strange move, unless he has gone backwards

Kyron has some great assets, but you have to fulfill the non negotiable to play AFL in the first place.

I hope he is completely focused on his fitness and at the very least shows enough to be retained on the list, because if he doesn't improve much on last season, he will be in the gun at the end of next year.

I think we all recognise he’s coming from a long way back and he hasn’t exactly set the world on fire.
Might be the rocket he needs to put in the hard yards.

I'm so confused. I thought a new rule came into play that allowed players to move freely between main and rookie list (if contracted)?!

Just get rid of the rookie list and have a full squad. Too much confusion. We'll be fine - He was injured in juniors and injured for part of 2018. Pick in the 60's with 2 big injuries - clubs won't go near him. He'll be at North 100%

Bloody well better be redrafted as a rookie, i would hate to lose him at this point in time.
As a Supporter and member of this club I'm sick and tired of the drafting of players that come to this club and getting delisted.
Maybe the Recruiting staff should make way as it just seems we draft players then after 1 season delist them shouldn't the Recruiting staff be doing more homework on players before drafting them.

As a Supporter and member of this club I'm sick and tired of the drafting of players that come to this club and getting delisted.
Maybe the Recruiting staff should make way as it just seems we draft players then after 1 season delist them shouldn't the Recruiting staff be doing more homework on players before drafting them.
He got injured and he's probably the least risky person so that we can do this.

Settle down

Edit: I get that it sucks but Hrovat is (unfortunately) the new Sam Power so he's not on the club's chopping block by any means. That leaves realistically the new fish and they probably looked at the new kids and thought, "who can we drop and rookie without another club pulling a Geelong".

This management of players and picks is a right hot mess though. Too confusing for me, even if we got a best case scenario in terms of bids.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back