Retired 38. Ciarán Byrne - Officially Retires as at 15th October

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't want to completely derail the thread by debating economics here but the fact of the matter is that we are still dealing with some legacy issues creating by the economic crash but the situation is improving year on year. The expectation that things will ever revert to boom time levels is crazy, a hell of a lot of the "good times" were built on a hyper-inflated construction industry which was never sustainable.

That article talks of suicide rates from 2012, which was essentially the nadir for the Irish economy - Mental health and suicide has never been a more visible and important topic in Irish society as it is now so hopefully the 2016 statistics will show a tangible improvement.

Similarly youth unemployment has dropped from 30% to 20% in the same time frame, and emigration has dropped by 30%, while inward migration of highly skilled workers has increased. Public sector recruitment has ramped up in the last year, government capital investment has been reinstated etc. Probably the biggest issue is the distinct imbalance between Dublin (and to a lesser extent Cork, Galway etc.) and the rest of rural Ireland in terms of economic growth, but on an overall level Ireland has vastly improved over the last 3-4 years.

Last edited:
I don't want to completely derail the thread by debating economics here but the fact of the matter is that we are still dealing with some legacy issues creating by the economic crash but the situation is improving year on year. The expectation that things will ever revert to boom time levels is crazy, a hell of a lot of the "good times" were built on a hyper-inflated construction industry which was never sustainable.

That article talks of suicide rates from 2012, which was essentially the nadir for the Irish economy - Mental health and suicide has never been a more visible and important topic in Irish society as it is now so hopefully the 2016 statistics will show a tangible improvement.

Similarly youth unemployment has dropped from 30% to 20% in the same time frame, and emigration has dropped by 30%, while inward migration of highly skilled workers has increased. Public sector recruitment has ramped up in the last year, government capital investment has been reinstated etc. Probably the biggest issue is the distinct imbalance between Dublin (and to a lesser extent Cork, Galway etc.) and the rest of rural Ireland in terms of economic growth, but on an overall level Ireland has vastly improved over the last 3-4 years.

Tax incentives certainly helping the immigration.

Still like to see Casey move back to the forward line but the HB line is where it's all learnt from. Shining light in a young developing back line. Ciaran Sheehan to get a gig when fit again to add to the backline.

I think Port had an Irish guy on their books that left early also.

So for now as a starting point, these are the Irish players in the AFL:
There may be others but I think this may be close.

Carlton: 3
Brisbane: 2
Essendon: 1
Sydney: 1
W. Coast: 1
Fremantle: 1
Geelong: 1
Am hoping our Irish ties are exploring potential new recruits. Anyone with rumours on that front?

Corked calf was the official word, I believe.
Thanks. I saw it mentioned in another thread. Hopefully that means he's good to go this week, although I'm not sure who comes out? Kerridge maybe?
I suppose Murphy and Sumner have question marks with injury concerns. Kerridge is about the only one that might be dropped on form.

Thanks. I saw it mentioned in another thread. Hopefully that means he's good to go this week, although I'm not sure who comes out? Kerridge maybe?
I suppose Murphy and Sumner have question marks with injury concerns. Kerridge is about the only one that might be dropped on form.

Sumner out for a spell would be my guess, Byrne in as a HB/mid rotation. White could also be on the edge - even though he played a ripping game yesterday - as Byrne would fill a very similar role and has more upside.

Sumner out for a spell would be my guess, Byrne in as a HB/mid rotation. White could also be on the edge - even though he played a ripping game yesterday - as Byrne would fill a very similar role and has more upside.

Disagree. White will play next week for sure. You cant drop a player who played his role to perfection, and started to show some improvement in his game as his confidence improved

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terrific young player but there's no need to rush him back into things. I have no expectation of him featuring at senior level at all next year.

Did the knee in July so you'd think he may be OK to resume at VFL level towards the end of 2017. Give him all the time he needs to get things right.

Welcome back Ciaran! :blueheart: :fourleaf:

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2017-06-09/byrne-better-for-setback

“To be honest I’m delighted to be back playing any type of footy," Byrne said this week. "It’s been a long time. I’ve been counting the days these past 11 months. I got to the 10-month period where I felt I was pretty much ready to go, but I had to get that four weeks training under the belt before getting back into game time, so as you can image I’ve been itching to get back out there.”

Just want to see him get games and have no injuries for rest of year. 2018 is his year. Saw him up close several weeks ago and he looked in great condition. Wish him the best as he can really play.

Sorry to mention this again, but I saw a real team-man a few weeks ago who couldn't help himself but to race up to Jones to give him a supportive hug for that wonderful game he had against Sandy.
Some things you can fake and some you just can't.........That was no fake.

Sorry to mention this again, but I saw a real team-man a few weeks ago who couldn't help himself but to race up to Jones to give him a supportive hug for that wonderful game he had against Sandy.
Some things you can fake and some you just can't.........That was no fake.
For fakes sake, Harks. :D

Wish Byrne all the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back