Game Day AFLW Round 8 - Carlton v GWS Giants - Saturday 21st October, 3.05pm @ Henson Park

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldn't watch this today but geez I'm surprised by the result. GWS have been the easy-beats of the competition. How the hell did we lose this?

I couldn't watch this today but geez I'm surprised by the result. GWS have been the easy-beats of the competition. How the hell did we lose this?

Said it last week, this is where we are at at the moment. We are a young, rebuilding team who have leaked a lot of a talent and have a new coach to adapt to. Our ladder position was giving a false sense of economy. We are a bottom four team at the moment, that’s just the reality of where we are at.

I think we have the pieces to put together a competitive team long-term and the coaching seems like a step up from the old regime but it will take time. I was flicking between our game and the Lions vs Crows game and we are miles off that pace (as are 12-14 other teams). It was an unfortunate time to bottom out with the new teams coming in but here we are. Onwards and upwards.

I wonder who our top tier (pay) players are? Is this information available? I haven't been able to find it.
I'd stake anything on the five highest-paid players (from 1st to 5th) being: Vescio, Peterson, Moody, Hill and McKay.

But, because of ASAs, it's a little complicated. Vescio is probably not on a Tier 1 contract, despite being the highest paid.

Vescio trying to duck out the back almost every time, it’s annoying. Laloifi can have a mulligan, I’ve seen her have good to great games all season.
Laloifi looks injured.
GWS structured up very well when they were kicking into the wind. Our skills were appalling.
Goldsworthy looks like a superstar.

I'd stake anything on the five highest-paid players (from 1st to 5th) being: Vescio, Peterson, Moody, Hill and McKay.

But, because of ASAs, it's a little complicated. Vescio is probably not on a Tier 1 contract, despite being the highest paid.
The reason I asked is that I think Vescio shouldn't be getting it any longer.

Sent from my SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The gap between the top 4 or 5 and the rest is pretty large still.

McKay and Hill haven't quite got the physicality they need yet. We definitely need a big body mid in that mix somewhere. Marianna Anthony being out has set us back a little bit. Guerin too but at this stage, her coming back to any sort of full fitness will be an unexpected bonus. It's a little weird that Keeley Sherar probably attacks the pill more than anybody right now, given her lack of size. I like what Velardo brings to the side too.

We have a few players who haven't progressed as far as we would have expected. Not sure where Annie Lee is at. Daisy Walker has shown a tiny bit more this year, but she does seem a little hesitant and introverted out there at times.

Brooke Vickers has improved out of sight. Very physical player and starting to make good decisions.

Mia Austin is made of the right stuff. She is happy to use her physicality. She is just getting very little support up there. McWilliams and Milford are placeholders. I'm not sure what Vescio is doing up there at the moment. She's cheating out the back again. Keeley Skepper is handy but also needed through the midfield. Erone Fitzpatrick is the most exciting player we have at the moment. She has the right attitude and attributes.

You may have noticed yesterday that we got the ball moving forward a lot, but we took a lot of high risk floating options in front of runners and without clean hands, they were always going to break down. I see what we are trying to do but we are not playing high percentage football that takes advantage of our attributes.

We simply need to play in a way that takes advantage of our stars. Let McKay extract, let Hill run and deliver, let Moody fly. I mean, what is this insistence to get the ball out to Moody so she can bang it downfield? She's a big kick and she is athletic, but we keep using her as a runner.

We need to regenerate down back a little as Peterson, Laloifi and Pound are getting older. We need another gun up forward and we need further strength and development in the midfield.

It's getting there. I'd rather keep this build going and keep the players happy. I think we are building in a good way. Just more runners please and less VFLW talls playing on flanks.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back