Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Where are the test results to back up your “low footy IQ”comment.
Test results lol.

He pulls the wrong reign.
In traffic he turns the wrong way.
Shoots when he should pass.
Passes when he should shoot.
Stays down when he should fly.
Flys when he should stay down.
I could go on...

The thing that puts pressure on defenders is forwards that kick goals. I like Mansell but defenders that play on him know they can run off Mansell knowing that Mansell is unlikely to punish them by scoring goals. Look at Zorko on the weekend. He couldn’t care less about our small forwards. Apart from Cumberland why would he?

Ridley couldn’t give two sh*ts about him, because he knows even if Cumbo gets the ball the chance of a goal is minimal (Cumbo can’t hit the side of a barn at the moment) and the chance of some headless turnover is strong.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Really, pressure is the most important part of a forwards role. Charlie Cameron, Fritsch, Toby Greene and plenty of others primarily kick goals first, and pressure is a bonus. You can't win matches with pressure, you need those players who are naturally goal kicking forwards. The good sides have a combination of both.

We have Bolton, and Martin when firing, but he's not. Cumberland wins most contests he is around, he has that knack and energy. He is a purely offensive forward, which Hardwick couldn't accept. He has learned to curb that and be more team oriented, but it is not natural for him and hence he is a bit headless chook sometimes.

Did you read what I said? I said … twice .. ‘winning contests in the forward half’ is the most important skill for a forward. Thats what equates to goals for the team. Getting ‘on the end’ of a few is fools gold, as it’s not sustainable to be an effective forward.

Did you read what I said? I said … twice .. ‘winning contests in the forward half’ is the most important skill for a forward. Thats what equates to goals for the team. Getting ‘on the end’ of a few is fools gold, as it’s not sustainable to be an effective forward.

But having the skill to kick them is still the most important factor I think. Good forwards do both pressure and convert, Richmond for too long have played forwards who are one or the other. The last two seasons Mansell and MRJ, who is better this year, have been played as pressure forwards, before that Aarts and George (who used to do both). Best form of pressure is scoreboard pressure.

I was NOT at the game last night but somebody on another forum who was at the game and mentioned he spent alot of time watching Cumberland when the ball was not in his area and mentioned he spend so much time in nowhere land and the reason his pressure acts were high was because he was always out of the contest when the ball come around he was always making up ground to get involved. He said Cumberlands biggest problem is he just doesnt or cant read the play and is in the wrong spot most of the time. could explain alot about his games where his opponent dominates

Coaches should purely ask him to tackle as much as he can. He makes a mistake, drops his head, and is out of the game. If they could alter what his focus should be (i.e. not goal output but tackle output), I think that would help him.

Coaches should purely ask him to tackle as much as he can. He makes a mistake, drops his head, and is out of the game. If they could alter what his focus should be (i.e. not goal output but tackle output), I think that would help him.

Tackle, spoil, chase, harass, and blackmail opponents. No more Mr Nice Guy.

But having the skill to kick them is still the most important factor I think. Good forwards do both pressure and convert, Richmond for too long have played forwards who are one or the other. The last two seasons Mansell and MRJ, who is better this year, have been played as pressure forwards, before that Aarts and George (who used to do both). Best form of pressure is scoreboard pressure.
But really...scoreboard pressure is not the exclusive domain of small/pressure forwards...or CHF's...or FF's...or Ruck's...
Scoreboard pressure in my Coaching Book begins with a Team effort...or
100% Team Effort is...Best Form/Guarantee of Scoreboard Pressure...
There are just too many possible variables/scenarios in this Game just to push or rely on a One Wood of attack...
Putting it simply...it really is a Team Sport versus another Team...
Coaches love 100% commitment and player buy in!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But really...scoreboard pressure is not the exclusive domain of small/pressure forwards...or CHF's...or FF's...or Ruck's...
There are just too many possible variables/scenarios in this Game just to push or rely on a One Wood of attack...
Has Combo held his spot?

Small forwards who kick goals are very important. Betts, Milne, Bartlett for example, and more recently Cameron, Stengle, Weightman, Bolton. If your small forwards don't kick goals then all the pressure that is applied up the field often goes to waste. Mansell does not kick goals for example, but up the ground he is not to bad. So we need forwards with goal nous.

These days it is important that small forwards add pressure as well, pretty sure I read Cumberland led our defensive efforts stat. If so that is good because that was his weakest point. Once he relaxes a bit he will get the balance better and should be a dangerous if unpredictable player. It makes no sense to bring back Graham or Mansell and drop Cumberland.

Small forwards who kick goals are very important. Betts, Milne, Bartlett for example, and more recently Cameron, Stengle, Weightman, Bolton. If your small forwards don't kick goals then all the pressure that is applied up the field often goes to waste. Mansell does not kick goals for example, but up the ground he is not to bad. So we need forwards with goal nous.

These days it is important that small forwards add pressure as well, pretty sure I read Cumberland led our defensive efforts stat. If so that is good because that was his weakest point. Once he relaxes a bit he will get the balance better and should be a dangerous if unpredictable player. It makes no sense to bring back Graham or Mansell and drop Cumberland.
So are ChF's who kick goals...
So are MID's who kick goals...
So are HFF's who kick goals...
So are Ruck's who kick goals...
So are FF's who kick goals...
Small forwards are not the only avenue to Goal in a Team sport like AFL...

So are ChF's who kick goals...
So are MID's who kick goals...
So are HFF's who kick goals...
So are Ruck's who kick goals...
So are FF's who kick goals...
Small forwards are not the only avenue to Goal in a Team sport like AFL...
No but without Lynch we have few goal options. Lefau is doing okay, but right now is not going to kick a bag.
Dusty did well, first time he scored multiple goals since Carlton. Bolton is our best. Ryan gave us nothing. Balta has kicked 7, 3 in one game. Mansell and MRJ for the amount of game time they have spent forward do not kick many goals.

Our cupboard is bare. Cumberland can kick goals we have seen that, and if he is backed in I would bet he will become a better player, and kick goals which we lack.

No but without Lynch we have few goal options. Lefau is doing okay, but right now is not going to kick a bag.
Dusty did well, first time he scored multiple goals since Carlton. Bolton is our best. Ryan gave us nothing. Balta has kicked 7, 3 in one game. Mansell and MRJ for the amount of game time they have spent forward do not kick many goals.

Our cupboard is bare. Cumberland can kick goals we have seen that, and if he is backed in I would bet he will become a better player, and kick goals which we lack.
You are deflecting and totally avoiding my point...that AFL is a Team Sport!
The best scoreboard pressure is Team driven!
A total buy in of the Coaches plan...by the whole Team...working together for one another until the Oppo cracks and creates opportunities to score!

You are deflecting and totally avoiding my point...that AFL is a Team Sport!
The best scoreboard pressure is Team driven!
A total buy in of the Coaches plan...by the whole Team...working together for one another until the Oppo cracks and creates opportunities to score!
Well yes, of course pressure over the ground is important, but would have like Bolton in that last Q. Look at Bailey Fritsch, hasn't laid a tackle in his career, but he's a quality finisher. Players who kick clutch goals are the difference, Dusty.

Well yes, of course pressure over the ground is important, but would have like Bolton in that last Q. Look at Bailey Fritsch, hasn't laid a tackle in his career, but he's a quality finisher. Players who kick clutch goals are the difference, Dusty.
Finally! Thank you!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back