Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

But really...scoreboard pressure is not the exclusive domain of small/pressure forwards...or CHF's...or FF's...or Ruck's...
Scoreboard pressure in my Coaching Book begins with a Team effort...or
100% Team Effort is...Best Form/Guarantee of Scoreboard Pressure...
There are just too many possible variables/scenarios in this Game just to push or rely on a One Wood of attack...
Putting it simply...it really is a Team Sport versus another Team...
Coaches love 100% commitment and player buy in!
Thats deep brah

Will Cumberland play on Stewart this week ?
Watching the last 3 weeks, teams have actually put someone on him and his performances have been down. Who do we have that can just sit on him all game?

Remember a few years ago Geelong fans were all up and about when they tagged Rance down at the cattery and he had a shit game, funny how the game does a 180 sometimes.

Did you read what I said? I said … twice .. ‘winning contests in the forward half’ is the most important skill for a forward. Thats what equates to goals for the team. Getting ‘on the end’ of a few is fools gold, as it’s not sustainable to be an effective forward.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I see the goal posts have shifted from 'he has no defensive side' to 'he has no offensive side'.

Short memories.

Watching the last 3 weeks, teams have actually put someone on him and his performances have been down. Who do we have that can just sit on him all game?

Remember a few years ago Geelong fans were all up and about when they tagged Rance down at the cattery and he had a shit game, funny how the game does a 180 sometimes.
Astute post. I'd throw Tom Brown on him who is 3cm taller, faster and arguably fitter. He will run Stewarts old legs ragged and get off the chain making space.

pickett for stewart this weeks matchup, and i hope marlion is in a filthy mood.
Do A Clockwork Orange job on him and make him watch Stewart laying out Prestia over and over.
He'll kill the campaigner before the game even starts.
stanley kubrick so youre keen on musicccc GIF by Maudit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cumberland was always a mid in the juniors , play him there as a clearance player
That's where he should have been playing the last 2 seasons in the VFL IMO.

Has had a few goes but nothing serious.

Small forwards who kick goals are very important. Betts, Milne, Bartlett for example, and more recently Cameron, Stengle, Weightman, Bolton. If your small forwards don't kick goals then all the pressure that is applied up the field often goes to waste. Mansell does not kick goals for example, but up the ground he is not to bad. So we need forwards with goal nous.

These days it is important that small forwards add pressure as well, pretty sure I read Cumberland led our defensive efforts stat. If so that is good because that was his weakest point. Once he relaxes a bit he will get the balance better and should be a dangerous if unpredictable player. It makes no sense to bring back Graham or Mansell and drop Cumberland.

Anyone considered that he led the pressure stats because his direct opponent had the ball 30+ times? And took a record number of intercept marks … often easily out-marking Cumbo.

We are talking about a player who has been in our system 5-years needing to be educated on systems and structure. He clearly has huge trouble with the mental side of the game, which is a shame as he has shown some natural gifts which we need up forward.

I’m happy to give him a decent block of games and hope like hell things click for him … but with structure and team defence essential for success, I just don’t see him being able to grasp the requirements when he clearly still has no idea 5-years in.

I see the goal posts have shifted from 'he has no defensive side' to 'he has no offensive side'.

Short memories.

Nah, I just take very little notice of goals that come from the goal square when on the end of others play. It’s a Mabior Chol and Josh Jenkins specialty.

Take note of the forwards who win a decent share of the ball up forward in a contest, whether a ground ball or in the air. Or convert goals from difficult positions … ala Stringer, Toby Greene and Martin on Saturday.

Getting uncontested goals from the goal square means zip to me in regards to an individuals performance. It often means that player didn’t chase defensively so was goal side in the event of a turnover … or they sagged back to look for a cheapie. Not saying this is what Cumbo did when he got his 2 goals … just saying I ignore ‘over the top’ goal square goals as I think they’re meaningless in regards to assessing someone’s performance.

Would be suicide and completely unfair if he did.. surely Lefau or Balta

Of course they will try and put Stewart straight to Cumberland. Every team will put their best intercept player straight to him after last week. Would be crazy not to. Now its unfair that the opposition are putting too good a player on Cumberland lol. The excuses for this guy are ridiculous.

You need to be a smart player to handle the oppositions best intercept, hes going to have to learn to deal with this quickly.

If Lynch comes back, Noah doesnt have many chances left. Clearly Yze wants to play 3 smalls, then Lynch, Lefau and a Martin/Bolton type. I assume Balta stays back. Cumberland needs to make himself undroppable before the bye. Assuming we dont just bring in Mansell for him this week.

Of course they will try and put Stewart straight to Cumberland. Every team will put their best intercept player straight to him after last week. Would be crazy not to. Now its unfair that the opposition are putting too good a player on Cumberland lol. The excuses for this guy are ridiculous.

You need to be a smart player to handle the oppositions best intercept, hes going to have to learn to deal with this quickly.

If Lynch comes back, Noah doesnt have many chances left. Clearly Yze wants to play 3 smalls, then Lynch, Lefau and a Martin/Bolton type. I assume Balta stays back. Cumberland needs to make himself undroppable before the bye. Assuming we dont just bring in Mansell for him this week.
Dude, I know he could’ve/should’ve competed harder in the marking contests but he was playing against a gun player that was 10cm taller than him

Wasn’t exactly a like for like match up

Dude, I know he could’ve/should’ve competed harder in the marking contests but he was playing against a gun player that was 10cm taller than him

Wasn’t exactly a like for like match up

I agree, but now every team will do it and play a tall on him. It means Noah will have to punish them at ground level, he missed 2 sitters that he needed to convert on Saturday.

It maybe harsh, but he may only have the next few weeks to save his career. Once Lynch comes back, so will Hopper and Taranto, which pushes Dusty and Bolton forward more. He wont get a game at that point because Yze is going to keep his small forwards in alongside Lynch, Lefau, Martin, Bolton. He's going to have to have big games over the next 2 weeks in an awkward forward setup to say the least.

Last edited:
I agree, but now every team will do it and play a tall on him. It means Noah will have to punish them at ground level, he missed 2 sitters that he needed to convert on Saturday.

It maybe harsh, but he may only have the next few weeks to save his career. Once Lynch comes back, so will Hopper and Taranto, which pushes Dusty and Bolton forward more. He wont get a game at that point because Yze is going to keep his small forwards in alongside Lynch, Lefau, Martin, Bolton. He's going to have to have big games over the next 2 weeks in an awkward forward setup to say the least.
save his time with us maybe, but his career?

he is the sort of bloke that would benefit from a complete reset, be it on him, the club or a blend his mentality has not been allowed to settle since 22

he was treated differently to other small fwds last year in that he was straight out after one week while mjr and mansell got massive runs of games despite being poor. he also wasn't promoted after solid vfl outings and in the same week someone who had done f all gets a callup. it was mystifying tbh.

i had hopes it was a dimma thing but mini kept playing others over him for dubious benefit if not uselessly

he is fit, skilled and he wants and can get the ball, once in an environment that sees his perfectionism and self-beration as something to work on rather than a terminal flaw i have no doubt he will relax that 10 percent needed for his opportunities to be made good and not pushed wide cos he is wound like a drawn bow expecting to be dropped for a f-up

he is playing with the sword of damacles over his head and some players that isnt the way to get the best out of them

if he hasnt been told he is in for at least 4 games, not to worry about mistakes causing a demotion just play to strengths and work on deficiencies, then he will be better off somewhere else

this isnt about special treatment this is about appropriate treatment based on mentality- a mentality we mis-handled

the way balta cut him off after the game, i dont think he will be with us next year and it will be a shame we couldnt get the best out of him by backing him in the way we are with mjr and the man, both of whom kick less goals

hilarious to blame him for ridley's game- half of his marks were where cumdawg had worked off him for a mark and our mids kicked it straight to ridley ffs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back