Past #39: Billy Hartung - will not be offered a new contract - thanks for your efforts Billy

Remove this Banner Ad

29wj7s.jpg

He had a poor effort and that stung him into action. He's weak (relatively speaking) but has a really good technique. He'll never be Glen Archer.

He cracked in like a mad man today mate.

Agreed.
5 tackles today is huge and demonstrates that he is buying into our game plan.

There is no doubt that he is a better player under Scott

He's a little bloke and his tackles are never going to always stick, but there's nothing wrong with his ticker.

He's a little bloke and his tackles are never going to always stick, but there's nothing wrong with his ticker.

I thought there was a moment early that let him down. Not the only one tho. There was another player I thought was worse. To Billy's credit it was like Kidd V said above. He was stung into action cos he was much better afterward. And he did crack in as you said. Like he wanted to prove something to himself. If I did read that right its a great sign in his favour cos he is setting himself to standards and making himself meet them or make up for them afterward - there were questions about that when he came here.

One of many players who had a great second half.

Some of his tackles today were great ! Impressed
Said no-one at Hawthorn ever...

I'm happy for Billy that things are working out for him North. He has definite talent. I'm just perplexed at why he never applied himself to sticking a tackle, win a contested ball or use his speed to take the game on while he was with us.

I suppose there are some footballers who need a kick in the guts & change of clubs in order to bring out their best

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said no-one at Hawthorn ever...

I'm happy for Billy that things are working out for him North. He has definite talent. I'm just perplexed at why he never applied himself to sticking a tackle, win a contested ball or use his speed to take the game on while he was with us.

I suppose there are some footballers who need a kick in the guts & change of clubs in order to bring out their best

I attribute a lot to when he broke his arm tackling Gaff down at Launceston many years ago

Love his run and carry ability, but fmd, he is absolutely cringe worthy when he disposes of the pill by foot, especially 15-30m passes.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really ? I thought he made one poor kick , maybe another after running 30meters

But his hand balling in traffic was excellent and 3/4 tackles on blokes bigger than him were even better ...

I attribute a lot to when he broke his arm tackling Gaff down at Launceston many years ago

Didn't know that. He seems to be confident tackling at the moment and earlier in the year that wasn't as obvious.

Struggled on the small ground I thought, want to see him again on the g. Still happy to persist with him.

He has his obvious limitations. But his strengths are extra valuable to our list, given that we aren’t overly blessed with run and speed. That will ensure he’ll continue to get games if he keeps his efforts up.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really ? I thought he made one poor kick , maybe another after running 30meters

But his hand balling in traffic was excellent and 3/4 tackles on blokes bigger than him were even better ...
He consistently shanks 1-2 a game and they often end up being very costly.

I like him as a player, but can see why Hawforn didnt re sign him. Something for him to work hard on over next season or two.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

As I posted in the Wood thread- a bit of a mixed bag from what I saw at the ground. His tackling and hands were good, but the reason he laid so many tackles- particularly early- was because he wasn't prepared to put his body on the line to win the tough ball. Instead, he was happy to let the other guy win the tough ball and then attempt to lay the tackle.

Still, you could definitely make the argument that this area of the game just isn't his role, and aside from one shank (which he berated himself very strongly for) his skills were neat from limited touches and he ran hard all day. Not completely sold, but theres no doubt his strengths complement the relative weaknesses of the rest of our midfield. Would like to see him get back to averaging early 20s in disposals, but theres no doubt his defensive game and impact per possession are on the improve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back