Player Watch #39: Finnbar 'Moose' Maley

Remove this Banner Ad

Has fitted in really well. Definitely one of the boys.

Don’t let that larrikin personality fool you though, the kid wants to be an AFL player. Is showing some really good signs at training particularly with his contested marking. For a big guy he is really clean below his knees. His tank and forward craft needs some work but he makes up for it with his competitiveness. Clubs sees him as a forward who can pinch hit in the ruck. The priority though is to develop his forward craft.

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he kicks a few bags early in the season at VFL level, then ends up getting a debut.

No chance
With Comben going back he has very little competition, assuming we go with two keys. CCJ looked a bust in that position before the concussion issues and Xerri has also shown very little as a forward. Maley wouldn't have to do much at VFL level to put himself at the head of the queue. I guess the alternative is going with 1 key and a fleet of mediums with Comben or Larkey giving X a spell. Neither of those options seems overly appealing to me as X would be a liability as a key back and don't think we can afford to have Larkey out of the forward line. Or just run Xerri with no back up.

Maley wouldn't have to do much at VFL level to put himself at the head of the queue. I guess the alternative is going with 1 key and a fleet of mediums with Comben or Larkey giving X a spell. Neither of those options seems overly appealing to me as X would be a liability as a key back and don't think we can afford to have Larkey out of the forward line. Or just run Xerri with no back up.
The alternative is that we run with another tall defender starting on the interchange.

Say you have Corr, Dawson and Comben starting on field, then Larkey and the tweeners in the forward line.

Add Pink or Biggie on the interchange, and you've got the option of swinging Comben forward, either to provide a second tall forward target, or to relieve Larkey.

But I agree its a low bar for Maley to get a guernsey.

The alternative is that we run with another tall defender starting on the interchange.

Say you have Corr, Dawson and Comben starting on field, then Larkey and the tweeners in the forward line.

Add Pink or Biggie on the interchange, and you've got the option of swinging Comben forward, either to provide a second tall forward target, or to relieve Larkey.

But I agree its a low bar for Maley to get a guernsey.
Yep, decent shout, don't mind it. What I liked most about Maley's highlight package is that there was actually some tackles in it. That's what we would lose the most with Comben going back as his defensive pressure was very good. CCJ is basically a witches hat once the ball hits the deck and doesn't do anything to prevent exits from our F50.

With Comben going back he has very little competition, assuming we go with two keys. CCJ looked a bust in that position before the concussion issues and Xerri has also shown very little as a forward. Maley wouldn't have to do much at VFL level to put himself at the head of the queue. I guess the alternative is going with 1 key and a fleet of mediums with Comben or Larkey giving X a spell. Neither of those options seems overly appealing to me as X would be a liability as a key back and don't think we can afford to have Larkey out of the forward line. Or just run Xerri with no back up.
Very high risk as you push up the ladder if it is Larkey then nothing - unless we manage to put the most lethal collection of small and mid forwards in history around him. An injury to Larkey leading into finals would mean a write off...

Very high risk as you push up the ladder if it is Larkey then nothing - unless we manage to put the most lethal collection of small and mid forwards in history around him. An injury to Larkey leading into finals would mean a write off...
Great point. There's something to be said for developing another key forward for that very reason. At least play 2 keys in some of the games or parts of some of the games. Maybe Maley can be that person.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this guy is actually something special and i have huge hopes for him after seeing todays vfl game.

hopefully someone cuts up the highlights. it was the best contested marking display ive seen in a long time. would have seriously had close to 10 contested marks, many of them pretty spectacular.

just needs to work on his kicking which looks very unnatural.

Seen him in the NFL bread n butter stuff for finbar.hes raw but he's got some elite traits superb mark.Kicked six from CHF last year to win Eltham the grand final.was best on ground today by a long way.contested hard all day.hes marking was careyesque.chom wasn't far behind definitely he's best performance in blue n white.

His athleticism, contested marking and competitiveness is something you can’t teach. The kicking can be worked on and ironed out over time.

What petition do we have to sign to get this man in ASAP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back