Rookie 39. Hudson O'Keeffe

Remove this Banner Ad

Rated him as a late project type, draftworthy. Didn’t do a lot of research with our list needs pre draft, but that was it, draftworthy.

Didn’t twig 16/12 birthday, one of the youngest available. Listening and watching closely, there is so much to like with this kid. Tall (probably still growing), athletic, competitor, perpetual motion type who just oozes the “sharp elbows” vibe.

Great list management when a couple of players went down to use the vacancy to shore up generation next, as I like to call it. Some great additions, Austin and crew growing very quickly on me over the last couple of seasons.

Not expecting to see Hudson anywhere near the top squad this year or next, but get the feeling if we were desperate, he would stride in and give it a massive crack. I like the boy.

Rated him as a late project type, draftworthy. Didn’t do a lot of research with our list needs pre draft, but that was it, draftworthy.

Didn’t twig 16/12 birthday, one of the youngest available. Listening and watching closely, there is so much to like with this kid. Tall (probably still growing), athletic, competitor, perpetual motion type who just oozes the “sharp elbows” vibe.

Great list management when a couple of players went down to use the vacancy to shore up generation next, as I like to call it. Some great additions, Austin and crew growing very quickly on me over the last couple of seasons.

Not expecting to see Hudson anywhere near the top squad this year or next, but get the feeling if we were desperate, he would stride in and give it a massive crack. I like the boy.
And genuinely pumped to be given a crack on a senior list.

Agreed, a lot to like about this young man.

think you are overlooking the utility from glenferrie.......

A1Y+vMB5uuL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
How about Number 17 by
Cross Canadian Ragweed = 5 minutes 19 sec​
Kings of Leon = 3 minutes 5 seconds​
Avril Lavigne = 3 minutes 24 seconds or​
Zhavia = 2 minutes 46 seconds.​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a nice highlights package. I'd love to see him develop into a strong hitout winning ruckman who can get involved in the ground ball play and can sit behind the play, read the play and take intercept marks. The game has gone back to where it was decades ago where ruckmen go forward and take marks and/or sit behind play and take marks defensively and he's doing both of that in his video. Can't say whether it's a regular thing for him to do but that's where you need to be to make it as a good quality AFL ruck.

Pittonet does these things and it's one of the reason why I believe he's underrated. Can see him developing into a similar player.

It's a nice highlights package. I'd love to see him develop into a strong hitout winning ruckman who can get involved in the ground ball play and can sit behind the play, read the play and take intercept marks. The game has gone back to where it was decades ago where ruckmen go forward and take marks and/or sit behind play and take marks defensively and he's doing both of that in his video. Can't say whether it's a regular thing for him to do but that's where you need to be to make it as a good quality AFL ruck.

Pittonet does these things and it's one of the reason why I believe he's underrated. Can see him developing into a similar player.
I think the most important thing he can do for us is to make sure we get the ball first, especially in the big games. That has rarely been the case since Justin Madden retired. A few got close, but nobody has given our smalls the sort of armchair ride that Madden did for extended periods. That is what we need to win big games.

I think the most important thing he can do for us is to make sure we get the ball first, especially in the big games. That has rarely been the case since Justin Madden retired. A few got close, but nobody has given our smalls the sort of armchair ride that Madden did for extended periods. That is what we need to win big games.
Matthew Allen's 2000 season was the last time we had a dominant A grade ruckman, he wasn't tap dominant but was up there. But yes, definitely. If he can do that and he's strong overhead, he's got some good physicality about his game. Sure he could be exactly what we are looking for. 202cm is not massive for a ruck but perhaps he grows. Rookie draft, late drafts have long been the place to find ruckmen.

Matthew Allen's 2000 season was the last time we had a dominant A grade ruckman, he wasn't tap dominant but was up there. But yes, definitely. If he can do that and he's strong overhead, he's got some good physicality about his game. Sure he could be exactly what we are looking for. 202cm is not massive for a ruck but perhaps he grows. Rookie draft, late drafts have long been the place to find ruckmen.
If it wasn't for the fact that I've seen you post on here, this statement would have had me thinking you've been in a coma for 20 years

Matty Kreuzer will be after you, and you'll never hear him coming

If it wasn't for the fact that I've seen you post on here, this statement would have had me thinking you've been in a coma for 20 years

Matty Kreuzer will be after you, and you'll never hear him coming
Kreuzer was a good ruckman but not a dominant tap man. I also never rated him as high as many have, mainly due to not being great overhead and not being overly dominant in the tap stakes, the main roles of a ruck. Madden would have dominated him in the ruck. I think Kreuzer would have been a better player at a better club, his development like many in that era wasn't good, his overhead marking didn't come good until the later end of his career. One of the things Malthouse got right was getting him to keep his eye on the ball in marking contests and that sorted that. He had some real good seasons late in his career, but he and the team were about cooked by then.

We can develop players now so I have high hopes for O'Keeffe. His ruck, follow up work and overhead stuff look pretty solid. The things you want to see from your ruckman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back