Player Watch #39 Jack Buller

Remove this Banner Ad

McAndrew has had an extra week rest, Hickey too. Can't see it changing, especially if Sir Dane is back.
Horse doesn't change if he doesn't have to.
Yep other option is to drop Stretch and replace with Rampe. Have Hickey Ruck and McLean 2nd ruck, he went well v North.

Perhaps they see him as the Reid replacement, much cheaper than either TDK or HH.
If it works out it's a master stroke!
hmmmm. I wonder why a 22yo, never played AFL, WAFL forward, would be cheaper than a 27yo, 137 game key forward, who has kicked over 150 goals.

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

you guys think Buller will be the second coming of Jesus. I'm not even that big a fan of Reid but comparing Buller to Reid is so disrespectful it's beyond comprehension.

hmmmm. I wonder why a 22yo, never played AFL, WAFL forward, would be cheaper than a 27yo, 137 game key forward, who has kicked over 150 goals.

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

you guys think Buller will be the second coming of Jesus. I'm not even that big a fan of Reid but comparing Buller to Reid is so disrespectful it's beyond comprehension.
I didn't compare Buller to Reid, I simply stated that Buller MAY be slated to be Reid's replacement.

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

wtf, sam reid can reverse ageing?

I reckon Stretch was going alright. People forget players in their first half a dozen games are more often than not completely useless.
Logan was. Florent was. Hayward was. etc etc
Stretch is fairly involved at ground level trying to make tackles, and does contest marks in the air. He's going about as well as I'd expect.
Though I wouldn't be surprised to see him dropped, I think he might be worth peservering with a bit too, especially in a season we are obviously not going to be much chop in anyways. Get some games into him IMHO.

Buller can be a stalwart in the VFL as fwd/ruck until he starts kicking bags of goals IMO. fwd/ruck is covered more than well by McLean. You'd have to be very optimistic Buller is going to do better than him this year in that role. Might go well as a marking forward only in time.

Oh yeah, I would hate for that to be seen as a dismissal of McAndrew. I've been very impressed by his ruck craft, which has been one of the two major question marks. The other is can he get strong enough to compete at AFL level, which is yet to be determined but he's on his way. He's just not there yet.

I just worry an extended seniors run might burn him out physically. A taste and then a return to VFL to further hone his craft seems a better option to me.

Over the Chain podcast with Rampe. First guest is Jack Buller, AFL player or Spy? YOU decide!

The name is Buller, Jack Buller...
Where do I subscribe?
Futurama Buy GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome back Kiama Chris, good to see you again.

Even though it cost me money in the sweepstake (I had you as dead - hey someone had to pick it).:oops:
Thanks hairy biker . Travelling through Sicily and Slovenia. Now that COVID is a bit less of a threat (dangerous statement!) we are getting back on the road. Ducking down to Croatia for a few days tomorrow to catch some parts we haven't seen.
Keeping an occasional eye out on BigFooty but not enough to get involved. Missing the games. Definitely NOT dead so I'm sorry about the sweep. Who won? Bet they didn't pick Slovenia!

Thanks @HairyBiker . Travelling through Sicily and Slovenia. Now that COVID is a bit less of a threat (dangerous statement!) we are getting back on the road. Ducking down to Croatia for a few days tomorrow to catch some parts we haven't seen.
Keeping an occasional eye out on BigFooty but not enough to get involved. Missing the games. Definitely NOT dead so I'm sorry about the sweep. Who won? Bet they didn't pick Slovenia!

Attachments

• PXL_20230602_110201254.jpg
    PXL_20230602_110201254.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 57
Thanks hairy biker . Travelling through Sicily and Slovenia. Now that COVID is a bit less of a threat (dangerous statement!) we are getting back on the road. Ducking down to Croatia for a few days tomorrow to catch some parts we haven't seen.
Well as it happens...

Shared between Bloods86
'I'll be trying to listen/watch while on buses/at stations between Slovakia and Slovenia'

and Disco Brad
'Needless to say you won't be the only person watching the Swannies in Slovenia tomorrow. I'll be locking myself in my office at work and cheering / crying at the game. Safe trip and enjoy Slovenia.'

Geez getting Slovenia right and then having to share the prize. o_O

Well as it happens...

Shared between Bloods86
'I'll be trying to listen/watch while on buses/at stations between Slovakia and Slovenia'

and Disco Brad
'Needless to say you won't be the only person watching the Swannies in Slovenia tomorrow. I'll be locking myself in my office at work and cheering / crying at the game. Safe trip and enjoy Slovenia.'

Geez getting Slovenia right and then having to share the prize. o_O
Kolah involved as well. Slovenia the new ace destination.

I'll put $20 on Arnold playing for us. He's one bad Melican or Francis game away right now.
Of the two Arnold definitely the more likely. Has had a proper AFL preseason with Brisbane, has played well in a strong VFL side, playing games right out. Been in the system for 4 years plus Suns Academy. My suspicion is that if he hadn't broken his collar bone he might have been picked up ahead of Francis. Certainly in the hunt. Be surprised if he doesn't get extended almost straight away.
Buller has really only recently been working hard on his fitness and may struggle to last a full VFL game. He has the attributes but not yet the tank or system experience. His best bet will be to show well and be extended. A good chance for that I think.
Both good pickups.

Of the two Arnold definitely the more likely. Has had a proper AFL preseason with Brisbane, has played well in a strong VFL side, playing games right out. Been in the system for 4 years plus Suns Academy. My suspicion is that if he hadn't broken his collar bone he might have been picked up ahead of Francis. Certainly in the hunt. Be surprised if he doesn't get extended almost straight away.
Buller has really only recently been working hard on his fitness and may struggle to last a full VFL game. He has the attributes but not yet the tank or system experience. His best bet will be to show well and be extended. A good chance for that I think.
Both good pickups.
Buller has been playing full WAFL games, the intensity and standard of which is commensurate with the VFL - so I don’t think getting a full game is a problem.

Buller has been playing full WAFL games, the intensity and standard of which is commensurate with the VFL - so I don’t think getting a full game is a problem.
True about the WAFL for sure but I noted that the highlight game chosen that he kicked 5 goals -
Q1 4, Q2 1, then none. Maybe I overread that.
The better he goes the happier we'll all be.

True about the WAFL for sure but I noted that the highlight game chosen that he kicked 5 goals -
Q1 4, Q2 1, then none. Maybe I overread that.
The better he goes the happier we'll all be.
No guarantees WAFL form will translate to AFL, but I’m at least confident he’ll be able to give it a damn good shake through the VFL.

Agreed that we’ll all be happy if he kicks on as an AFL standard player!

A lot of pretty astute West Coast fans (who follow the WAFL closely) over here are pretty disappointed that they didn’t free up a second spot to accommodate him.

Both good pickups.

Sort of an extension of what I was saying before, but I would probably put money on Arnold playing more games, but Buller debuting first. I mean they're both close to 50/50 so it's no big difference, but with Ladhams and Amartey injured, I see a potential spot for Buller pretty much immediately. But as soon as Ladhams or Amartey is fit again that spot is gone.

Whereas for Arnold, well, if TMac and/or Rampe are back after the bye then he'll need to do a stint in our VFL team to really prove his case. Both Melican and Francis are vulnerable but I think it will take a few weeks for him to overtake them in the pecking order (if he will at all). But he does have better exposed form overall.

So yeah, I guess it's a matter of the timing of the mid season draft, but to me it suits Buller more than Arnold, even if Arnold has the better long term prospects.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back