Delisted #39: Pat Voss - Stiff Armed by Essendon on Oct 25. Refer to #556

Remove this Banner Ad

He took contested marks on Rory Thompson, for example.

I dont really like the Zurhaar comparison, it's superficial. Zurhaar is a forward 50 player. Much like Stringer he has a great explosive burst but no endurance which impacts how he plays.

Half forward lead-up play has been a feature of Voss' game, particularly in his pre-injury stint. He has the engine for it.

He also has a solid ground level defensive game so I'd say he could play Guelfi's role, he's more mobile than Guelfi, perhaps without the craft.

Voss looks like a little bit of a straight lines runner but I can't say I've noticed him struggle to change direction.

I'm aware that a lack of agility was an issues raised by draft watchers. I'm not sure it is agility as much as it is his running posture which is a ramrod straight lower back (which certainly creates the impression of straight lines).

I'd say Darling is a better comparison than Zurhaar. It's the crossover of small and tall attributes that is more significant than the aggression that Zurhaar and Voss share.

Yes, that leaves you asking what Voss can't do, bear in mind I'm working from a small sample size, and the answer is it's not clear.

I seriously think Voss is as good a talent as Perkins and that they're the standouts from the current crop of kids.

I can't explain how the player I'm describing could be available as a rookie but I also dont care.

Sounds to me off the basis of that (being someone who knows what he’s about but hasn’t watched a lot this year, mainly because the AFL app is dogshit) that he has the mobility to function as a small but give sides headaches with his size and overhead marking.

Makes him a bit of a point of difference and also a difficult matchup.

Seems to me the challenge for him is accumulating a bit more easy footy around the ground rather than kick mark stuff.

Sounds to me off the basis of that (being someone who knows what he’s about but hasn’t watched a lot this year, mainly because the AFL app is dogshit) that he has the mobility to function as a small but give sides headaches with his size and overhead marking.

Makes him a bit of a point of difference and also a difficult matchup.

Seems to me the challenge for him is accumulating a bit more easy footy around the ground rather than kick mark stuff.

He's not a small but not a tall... ergo he's a medium? ;)

while Phillips and Voss have committed to one-year deals respectively.

19-year-old Voss has also re-signed as rookie on the Bombers’ list after an impressive year at VFL level.

The 194cm key forward has played eight VFL matches this year, where he quickly became known for his physical presence and ability to hit the scoreboard, kicking 15 goals so far.

Hailing from the Riverina of NSW, Voss was a part of the GWS Giants Academy last year but played NAB League for the Oakleigh Chargers and attended Wesley College.

Developing his game this season in the VFL, Voss said he is excited to continue honing his football craft at the Bombers.

“I’ve loved my first year at Essendon. The boys and coaches have made me feel welcome since I first stepped through the door,” Voss said.

“I am grateful to have the opportunity to continue growing and developing my skills while in a supportive environment surrounded by great coaches and teammates.”

Needs me as his manager.
tenor.gif

1 year could be Voss's decision. He might read Bruno's posts and realise his trajectory could be anything so why sign to a 2+ year contract at a lower rate when he's not had senior exposure if he could make a debut and build on his form in 2023, then get far better contract in 12 months time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Brad, Patrick and Bruno all sleep over together, who gets top bunk, middle bunk and bottom bunk? ;)

In a 3 tier bunk surely the heaviest has to go on the bottom bunk. And Brad looks the type to call dibs on the top bunk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back