3rd West Australian team VS long term viability of poorer VIC Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

I like your knowledge of the WAFL

I prefer the name the Cardinals over the Falcons. I find it a stronger name and of course prefer the history of it.

The Royals were my local side until recently (East Perth have now moved to Leederville (inner North West)). If they were to join the AFL, how would PAFC respond to a team wanting to wear black and blue?

Perth Royal Falcons/Cardinals, incorporate east and west Perth logos.
Colours red,blue and black.
Based out in Joondalup.
Home games at the new Perth stadium.

Perth Royal Falcons/Cardinals, incorporate east and west Perth logos.
Colours red,blue and black.
Based out in Joondalup.
Home games at the new Perth stadium.

Why East Perth?

1. Their fans hate West Perth
2. East Perth has * all to do with Joondalup

and whilst this is solveable, East Perth sold out and are currently the West Coast ressies

It was an idea that was floating around few years back https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/7073813/joondalup-jumps-at-afl-chance/

I agree single entities are better but I don't think either club would have enough support on their own (I could be wrong). Melbourne Hawks sucked but if it meant playing VFL as Hawthorn and Melbourne or AFL as Melbourne Hawks I'd take MH every day of the week.

Why East Perth?

1. Their fans hate West Perth
2. East Perth has **** all to do with Joondalup

and whilst this is solveable, East Perth sold out and are currently the West Coast ressies
These are good points but I think if EP fans really wanted to be part of the AFL they could deal with it, although selling out to the Eagles has probably stopped this scenario from ever playing out

These are good points but I think if EP fans really wanted to be part of the AFL they could deal with it, although selling out to the Eagles has probably stopped this scenario from ever playing out

Even before the EP-WC link, West Coast represent East Perth as much as any Joondalup side would.

Living in Melbourne I havent noticed Dogs fans joining the Hawks to see a premiership & the idea Eagles/Dockers fans would join a new club is optimistic. Cant see the cost of memberships being a driver to the new entity, IMHO.

Are dogs fans unable to see their team live?

Not cost of membership so much as simple accessibility would make people want to go see the new club. They might start as 'neutrals', WCE fans attending just so they can see a game live, but if they do that often enough, some will shift over.

Of course, WCE would hate it, because it would mean they'd have a harder time overcharging their fans and might actually have to care about them a little.

Not cost of membership so much as simple accessibility would make people want to go see the new club. They might start as 'neutrals', WCE fans attending just so they can see a game live, but if they do that often enough, some will shift over.

Of course, WCE would hate it, because it would mean they'd have a harder time overcharging their fans and might actually have to care about them a little.

It would make twiddly poop difference to the Eagles - look at your own club telsor, an AFL non event on & off field, a remnant of the state based comp era. Think the Pies who continue to prosper.

In this national era, more & more of us aren't located geographically close to their teams, more so those outside Victoria, couple that with wall to wall TV coverage, and attending games is a changing dynamic - sold out seating at Geelong, Essendon pushing that way at Etihad, no use denying change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, the old problem of the 'vested' interest versus the progress of the game itself.

We've all seen it:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back